Muffler delete or Magnaflow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThatSilver2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The truck I drove in high school was a 2007 Ram 3.7 v6 with Straights and 4x24 tips. It was LOUD. I loved it. Now I'm a little older and not in college, My truck now has the 4.7. I want an exhaust but nothing loud, not much louder than stock to be honest. How loud would a muffler delete be? It woould cost next to nothing and it would sound great, I just think it ,might be too loud. My other option is a Magnaflow.

OP
OP
ThatSilver2010

ThatSilver2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is a picture of the old truck back in the dayFB_IMG_1455985095552.jpg

Ram-engineer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Yeah, the muffler delete was too loud for me and I just wanted a bit of rumble nothing too crazy so I went with the muffler install. The wife is happy because she says it sounds like a truck now too.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

OzarksRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My first truck had a 4.7. My first exhaust was a single in dual out flo-pro. It sounded good. Quiet going down the interstate w/o drone. Decided I needed something louder so I cut it off under the cab past the cat. It was loud and sounded really mean but got annoying driving the 95 mile trip to college. I ended up running dual pipes out the back w/o a muffler. Made it more tolerable on the highway but still loud. Just depends on your taste.

Ghost2013SCC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got a 14" Maggy installed on my '13 Sport. It's not as loud as I thought. Cruising you can barely tell it's there. But you can hear it when you get on the skinny pedal even at normal acceleration. Go with the Magnaflow. The delete maybe too much....

whatTHEmilone

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I took off my muffler as soon as I got my '13 Express. It's really only loud when you cold start it and when you get on the gas. You can't really hear it cruising down the highway. It will just depend on the heaviness of your foot.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I did the muffler & resonator delete and it's very loud when you stomp on it, and the drone and hwy speed is noticeable. Lost on the low end but from 60-120 it digs hard.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the muffler & resonator delete and it's very loud when you stomp on it, and the drone and hwy speed is noticeable. Lost on the low end but from 60-120 it digs hard.

Been contemplating swapping my 22" magnaflow for a 14" magnaflow. I already deleted the resonators but I wondering if the 14" will drone on the highway. Seems like some say they do and then some say they don't. I drive 95% highway and like it pretty quiet but it's when I stomp on the truck is when I want it louder. 22" is nice and has a good rumble but it's really not loud enough. Plus it's just as quiet as stock cruising on the highway.

BigBlackHorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
to the op may I suggest the Magnaflow 14 without the reso

Have you ran this setup before? I currently have the 14” on my 5.7 and it’s not loud enough. I’ve been thinking about taking the resonators off but I’m not sure how much of an improvement in sound it would make. Or if it would take away more mpg like it did when I put the MF on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you ran this setup before? I currently have the 14” on my 5.7 and it’s not loud enough. I’ve been thinking about taking the resonators off but I’m not sure how much of an improvement in sound it would make. Or if it would take away more mpg like it did when I put the MF on there.

I removed my resonators & have a 14" Magnaflow. It made a big difference in sound for the better. Now it actually sounds like a 14" Magnaflow. Before w/ the resonators the 14" sounded more like a 18". More rumble w/ them out. Well worth taking them out

BigBlackHorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I removed my resonators & have a 14" Magnaflow. It made a big difference in sound for the better. Now it actually sounds like a 14" Magnaflow. Before w/ the resonators the 14" sounded more like a 18". More rumble w/ them out. Well worth taking them out

Did you have them taken out at the same time as the MF was installed? If not, how much did it run you? Also, you said plural so I’m assuming you have duals. Did you just cut them off at the resonators or have straight pipe welded in there place. Did removing them worsen your gas mileage?

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you have them taken out at the same time as the MF was installed? If not, how much did it run you? Also, you said plural so I’m assuming you have duals. Did you just cut them off at the resonators or have straight pipe welded in there place. Did removing them worsen your gas mileage?

Had the Magnaflow for a yr & 30,000 miles before I had the resonators cut out. I wish I would have done it from day 1. Much better sound inside and out w/o them. Was too tame/quiet before. I have the factory duals so I had 2 resonators. It was $65 at a local exhaust shop to have them cut out & straight pipe welded back in. No change in mpg what so ever

BigBlackHorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had the Magnaflow for a yr & 30,000 miles before I had the resonators cut out. I wish I would have done it from day 1. Much better sound inside and out w/o them. Was too tame/quiet before. I have the factory duals so I had 2 resonators. It was $65 at a local exhaust shop to have them cut out & straight pipe welded back in. No change in mpg what so ever

Nice. I’ll be hitting up my local muffler shop this week. Currently, there’s a tiny drone at certain speeds, but of course it’s minimal and could stand a little more drone, but don’t really want the wife to crush my nuts if it’s annoying. Lol Will I be able to keep my baby makers?

Gary's Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice. I’ll be hitting up my local muffler shop this week. Currently, there’s a tiny drone at certain speeds, but of course it’s minimal and could stand a little more drone, but don’t really want the wife to crush my nuts if it’s annoying. Lol Will I be able to keep my baby makers?

I have no drone but I have a reg cab. I have heard the 4 door trucks drone more than reg cabs. My wife and little boy never complain about the sound. It is still very easy to have a conversation or hear the radio.

BigBlackHorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have no drone but I have a reg cab. I have heard the 4 door trucks drone more than reg cabs. My wife and little boy never complain about the sound. It is still very easy to have a conversation or hear the radio.

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

liftedpsd2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
heme
I got my truck this past Monday and I'm straight piping it next week. Hopefully the wife doesn't mind.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk