Muffler swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerseyguy19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys new to forum. I have a 2015 express crew cab. I want to make the truck sound better so i want to swap out the stock muffler for something loader but sounds good. Looking to go cheaper which is why im not doing a full exhaust system. I really dont know much about what i would need to do so any help would be appreciated. And if anyone can recommend a muffler to look at that would be great.
Thanks

Desert Dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just had a MagnaFlow 18" spliced in and left the resonators in place. Sounds amazing!!! There was a guy that showed up in a Ram R/T right as my truck was getting finished and when the mechanic raced my truck down the street for us to listen, that guy said, yeah, I'll take that on my truck. Lol.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well what kind of sound do you want, Deep rumble or raspy and how loud

OP
OP
Jerseyguy19

Jerseyguy19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I keep reading and watching videoa about the magnaflow 18". And i like the way it sounds. What is the part number for it?

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was in the same boat with the same question. Something that sounds good without hurting my wallet. You don't need to change any piping. Or exhaust tips. All I did was put in a magnaflow muffler. Get the 14. Do not get the 18. I have a 3 month old and 15 month old that ride in my truck. The drone is not bad AT ALL. Sounds good in the outside. It is not nearly as obnoxious as I thought it would be. You will be happy with the 14 over the 18. Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desert Dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I keep reading and watching videoa about the magnaflow 18". And i like the way it sounds. What is the part number for it?
Not sure the part number, I just went to the muffler shop and told the dude I want the MagnaFlow 18". They threw it on, charged me $200 and I was on my way. This is the same muffler I had on my 05 Silverado. I really like the low and throaty sound, never gets raspy even at high rpm. Every time I blip the throttle, it makes me smile.

OP
OP
Jerseyguy19

Jerseyguy19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was in the same boat with the same question. Something that sounds good without hurting my wallet. You don't need to change any piping. Or exhaust tips. All I did was put in a magnaflow muffler. Get the 14. Do not get the 18. I have a 3 month old and 15 month old that ride in my truck. The drone is not bad AT ALL. Sounds good in the outside. It is not nearly as obnoxious as I thought it would be. You will be happy with the 14 over the 18. Just my .02

Thanks is there a part number for the 14" i literally have no idea what im looking for

HemiPower36

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 3.92 8-speed
Engine
hemi 5.7
Thanks is there a part number for the 14" i literally have no idea what im looking for

I did the same **** as "desert dude" above. I just went to the muffler shop. The guy actually talked me into the 14". I was originally there for the 18". He was right to go with the 14".

henryhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I did like hemipower36, I walked in a local muffler shop, asked the guy if he had a 14" MagnaFlow with 3" single in/out. I asked the guy if it would be too loud aka wake up the neighbors. He said nope. I said do it. I also added a single 4" angled chrome tip with a curled edge. Cost me about 120 bucks out the door. I've had the muffler on for about 15k miles now and it has definitely gotten louder since being broken in. It has a substantial growl upon start up, especially when the engine is fairly warm. Nothing obnoxious, but enough to turn a few heads in a parking lot sometimes, notably and recently, a good looking blonde with a smile at a neighboring gas pump. Running, it has a nice mellow tone. There is some drone at 75-80mph but doesn't bother me and it doesn't interfere with conversation in the cab. When I floor it, it is fairly loud, but still mellow and never raspy. That's what I love about MagnaFlows. It's not loud unless I get on it, but even when i floor it, it's still a "classy" loud. Nothing like a redneck in his chevy with glass packs if u know what I mean. Oh ya, my chick digs it.

Oh yea, i love letting off the throttle slightly, right in between a 2nd to 3rd gear up shift. It makes for an awesome deceleration tunneling sound.

Edit: for autocorrect grammar/spelling errors...

Last edited:

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went with the mufflex delete kit. Installed it myself and haven't looked back. Been given multiple compliments for the way it sounds and I have a 3 year old daughter that sleeps fine in the truck when we are traveling. Haven't noticed any drone at any speeds that would be considered annoying. Just google mufflex exhaust and go from there.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the mufflex 14". Love it, very little drone to no drone. My wife isn't a fan of most exhausts but she approved. A sleeping baby has no issues with it.

From outside the truck, sounds deep and bad ass.

The mufflex delete is about the same from inside, louder outside. I'd rather have the delete if I had a choice again.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Desert Dude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder how many fellas hear a 14" and secretly regret going with the 18"...:roflsquared:
No regret here, I can hear my wife a street over with the 18" when she takes my truck. [emoji41] but the 14" sounds amazing, I just didn't want it that loud.

henryhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol that's awesome man! Now, I want to let someone drive my truck so I can actually hear what it sounds like from different distances and rpms.. but who....

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I wonder how many fellas hear a 14" and secretly regret going with the 18"...:roflsquared:

I left my resonators on for this simple reason... Most of my driving is Interstate and Turnpike {70-80 mph}... Sound is awesome-->Just a bit louder then stock {No Drone}...When I choose to Stand on It! The Roar just puts a big Old Smile on my 51 year old face...

In town driving is a bit different... MDS is Nice for Fuel Mileage but really produces the Most God Forsaken Unwanted Sound! I just turn up the radio a bit... In the near future a Diablo Tuner is coming and the MDS will be off in town and back on once on the Interstate...

I work on shift with {4} F150 Ecoboost owners who are REAL proud of their Trucks and All of them have complemented on how good the 5.7L sounds now... I myself have No Regrets!

I consider an exhaust system to be like a musical instrument...

Last edited:

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Meh. Did a flowmaster super10 for $100. Took 45 mins with the help of my brother in law.

OP
OP
Jerseyguy19

Jerseyguy19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can anyone tell me if this is exactly what im suppose to be buying http://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-12198-Satin-Stainless-Muffler/dp/B000CCFIYO
I believe this is the magnaflow 14 that fits my truck