MY First Oil Change On My Leftover 2016...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I bought my truck April 1, and it's only got 970 miles (yesterday) but being a leftover 2016 I was concerned about the paper OEM filter being probably 2 years old.

I figured I'd let the Dealer do the first change due to the extreme low miles, Warranty, the extreme tightness of new filters, record keeping and such but was unsure of what oil since I'm only up to page

in the oil thread......

The only options were (bulk/not considered) Penzoil yellow bottle, and Mobil 1 synthetic. Hell I thought Mobil 1 didn't even meet the Mopar spec, so I went with the PYB and will let the engine break in a little more before going full synthetic.

I was surprised my dealer did not carry ANY Penzoil Synthetic.

Anyhow, about 3 miles away I glanced at the bill and noticed it said 5 quarts of Oil................... It's a HEMI...

I glanced at the pressure and it looked good, whipped into a parking lot and shut the truck off and got out and checked the oil. It was fine. I called the place and asked the manager and he said it indeed got 7 (I saw HIM pouring it in from the bottle, but I wasn't counting) and the bill was just wrong, no problem.

Took 10 years off MY life...... I may just do them myself from now on.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Keep an eye on your oil filter. Dealer changed mine and the oil filter developed a leak which covered the steering servo and I took it back and they changed the oil again and said it was a bad gasket on the filter and documented the fault. Just a heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
My dealer does all of my oil changes. First, because if something screws up, they are on the hook. Second, their service is quick! Third, their prices are outstanding.

Mineralram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
my dealer charges me $28.00 which includes a mopar filter, jug of windshield washer and labor. I only supply the mobil 1 full synthetic oil. For that price i wont even consider crawling under my truck and doing it myself

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
Keep an eye on your oil filter. Dealer changed mine and the oil filter developed a leak which covered the steering servo and I took it back and they changed the oil again and said it was a bad gasket on the filter and documented the fault. Just a heads up.

Sounds more like operator error. Think maybe he left it loose?

I always worry when somebody else does stuff......

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds more like operator error. Think maybe he left it loose?

I always worry when somebody else does stuff......

That's what I would assume and had the same situation this weekend when I changed my oil myself and discovered the oil filter was backed off at least a full turn from being tight. It was the first oil change after my dealer freebie ran out.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The dealer does all of my oil changes. That why I had them to document the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk