Is this my starter or something else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

calabresi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Hey all,

My 2011 Ram 1500 has had a hard time starting recently. I read somewhere that there may be a faulty ignition switch, but I think it's the starter. Can you confirm that for me please? (I know it's not the battery because the truck will eventually start, and I know from previous experience what a dead battery "sounds" like.)

https://youtu.be/5Ww5c0QrvLI

Thanks!

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Does the starter not make any noise? hard to tell here as I can see you turn it to run and then I guess hit the start function but cannot hear any noise from the starter. does the dash go blank?

andycuracao

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all,

My 2011 Ram 1500 has had a hard time starting recently. I read somewhere that there may be a faulty ignition switch, but I think it's the starter. Can you confirm that for me please? (I know it's not the battery because the truck will eventually start, and I know from previous experience what a dead battery "sounds" like.)

https://youtu.be/5Ww5c0QrvLI

Thanks!

I had this same issue a while back with my 2012 . My problem was the TIPM, which is a known issue with these RAMs. I belief something with a faulty relay of the fuel pump. Luckily there’s an easy work-around available on youtube iso replacing the quite expensive TIPM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andycuracao

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had this same issue a while back with my 2012 . My problem was the TIPM, which is a known issue with these RAMs. I belief something with a faulty relay of the fuel pump. Luckily there’s an easy work-around available on youtube iso replacing the quite expensive TIPM.

Here’s the link : https://youtu.be/HcV5oAF1hM0

OP
OP
C

calabresi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Does the starter not make any noise? hard to tell here as I can see you turn it to run and then I guess hit the start function but cannot hear any noise from the starter. does the dash go blank?

It sounds like the truck wants to turn over -- is that the starter? It just doesn't catch. Does that mean it's something to do with the ignition?

Generally the truck will start after running previously; it has a harder time starting if it's not been run in a few hours.

OP
OP
C

calabresi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6

Yikes, I hope it's not this. I read up a bit on this issue, and I'm not having any other symptoms. Was your issue just with the Ram starting, or did you have other symptoms as well?

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
OK. maybe it helps that I turned the volume up here at work. Sounds to me like fuel is not being delivered properly. starter is fine as it seems to be spinning the engine at enough speed.

andycuracao

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yikes, I hope it's not this. I read up a bit on this issue, and I'm not having any other symptoms. Was your issue just with the Ram starting, or did you have other symptoms as well?

It was just this! It sounds exactly like your issue. When engine was warm it would start more easily than when engine was cold. Eventually it went worse. It’s a very easy and inexpensive work-around and i’ve been diving like this for almost a year

OP
OP
C

calabresi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
OK. maybe it helps that I turned the volume up here at work. Sounds to me like fuel is not being delivered properly. starter is fine as it seems to be spinning the engine at enough speed.

Huh, interesting -- I've had cars with balky fuel pumps before, and they would generally just cut out in the middle of driving, not at the start. Fuel pump issue? Or maybe what andycuracao said with the faulty relay for the fuel pump?

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Huh, interesting -- I've had cars with balky fuel pumps before, and they would generally just cut out in the middle of driving, not at the start. Fuel pump issue? Or maybe what andycuracao said with the faulty relay for the fuel pump?

Could be. I cannot diagnose enough to go any further without being there. Try what he said.

im just a shade tree mechanic.

OP
OP
C

calabresi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Could be. I cannot diagnose enough to go any further without being there. Try what he said.

im just a shade tree mechanic.

LOL I'm just a "tell me what to do and I'll figure it out" mechanic/plumber/handyman ;-)

I'm ordering the part now -- should be able to get around the next couple of days if it completely quits.

Thanks for your help!