Need Help! 2012 ram 5.7 No Power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coonass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I swapped cam and lifters end of Jan of this year due to cam failure with some help from Jay Greene. A few days ago I stepped on it to get in front of traffic and it sputtered and then returned to normal for the rest of the day until it died on me waiting to turn. It will start but sounds terrible and has no power. Autozone was the closest placed so I had them read the codes since there was a check engine light. They said there were none. The next day I rented a scanner and checked myself. These are the codes I pulled:
P0118-Engine Coolant Temp Sensor High Open
P2008-Short Manifold Runner Valve Control Circuit Open Bank1
P0113-Intake Air Temp Sensor Circuit High Input Problem
P0108-Manifold Air Pressure Barometric Pressure Sensor Circuit High Voltage Input Problem
P0123-Throttle Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit High Input
P0222-Throttle/Pedal Position Switch/Sensor B Circuit Low Input

I took it to a local mechanic to see what he says about it but nothing as of yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Just a guess, I'd say it has something to do with the last 2 and the others are irrelevant. What did Jay do for you? Tuned as well?

What oils did you use prior to your cam failure?

OP
OP
C

coonass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
He was the one that I purchased the cam from. This was also my first cam swap so he helped out with some questions I had. There also seems to be some knocking in the motor. Would those last 2 cause any of that do you think?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Did you not think the knock was relevant the first post? Maybe surprised you didn't get a cam position sensor. Did you put a lot of moly grease on lifters or can when you installed it?

What oil did you use prior to your cam failure?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Describe when it knocks? More info about the knock.

I assume you were up to temp when you floored it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

coonass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The knock sounded like it was coming from the drivers side valve cover. It almost sounds like the timing was off or something of that nature. I pulled the valve cover and the timing cover to check both but everything was where it should be and like you said i should be getting other codes if that was the case. I have always ran Royal Purple 5-30 in my truck. I used Lucas Assembly lube during the install and added a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Most of the time the cams fail, it turns out the user was using a non-moly oil, like you did. The last guy used Valvoline, another non-moly oil. Just something to think about when you get it fixed. Look here, your oil ****** = no moly. Wont help you now, but something to think about next time.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
WHEN does it knock, idle, full throttle, half throttle? Sometimes, all the time? It is relevant when talking about the Cam.

I'm out the door, will catch up later. State the problem more thoroughly, you will get a more educated answer. it is currently at the mechanic?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

coonass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Knocking started when it first died on me. It knocks at idle. I did not increase rpm's because I did not want to damage anything or damage anything more. Yes it is currently at the mechanic shop tho I do not have much faith in them after talking with them the last few days. I will be stopping by there shortly to see what they have done so far.

OP
OP
C

coonass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went by the mechanic shop today and they have gotten nowhere. They can't even get it to start now. Was able to turn it over and check valve springs to make sure they were all traveling correctly. Seems to be an electronic issue somewhere. May have to get it towed to Dodge and see what they say.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The price Ram will charge you will be more then an engine swap with a warranty from most shops, if it is a serious internal problem. Plus, they will likely charge you for the diagnose. Set aside what you think you don't mind paying just for the diagnose, then precede. 2 to 3 hours labor? Maybe you will get lucky and it is a cam phaser or follower or some ****. But if the cam was out of whack and it was knocking, you may say fk it all and swap that engine.

I'd call shops and ask what it would cost for a 5.7 crate hemi, make sure you say 4 gen. Figure 5k for the engine, probably 3 for the install, I know that is what it would be for a 3rd gen, maybe the same for a 4 gen dunno. The dealer has charged someone on the board $7700 for a Cam swap. Crate engines will likely have 3 years warranty, so basically it will be like having a new truck. Look up high moly oils.

OP
OP
C

coonass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I read up on the moly oils like you said and see what you're talking about. A little too late but I guess I know now. I would take it to Dodge for a diagnoses purposes only. If this were a cam or lifter problem would I have felt some resistance when I turned the engine over by hand?