Need some advice on air-intake and exhaust.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oscurida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hello all - i just got my 2011 dodge ram 1500 5.7 hemi 2 weeks ago and have been debating on some things. i have debating on either magnaflow or flowmaster for my exhaust. if i was to go for the flowmaster i, kinda aiming at the super 44's, as far as mangaflow i really haven't check into it yet. also wanted to know what you guys think of the k&n 63-1561 in take. it's showing in dyno charts of a gain of 15hp then i hear that airaid is like 20hp? something like that. so any differences or options would help me with this debate im having with myself lol. Im also heard mangaflow = performance and flowmaster = sound, if this is true that is.

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
welcome....i have the k&n and i felt a little power but as to what i read on this forum alot of people are running the s&b and the vararam intake...im thinking of changing mine after reading alot of the great reviews. i see that they are the best performing intakes for the 4th gen ram...there is a vender called moes perfromance check out his site good prices and great customer service.

Xtreme545

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I were you I'd buy an S&B over the K&N. I love mine, and get it from Moes.

shostopper17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
welcome and its totally your call there are so many options but i went with K&n for the intake and Magnaflow for exhaust just such a good combo cant go wrong sir best of luck

tkyle486

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
K&N your just paying for the name, S&B is were its at! As far as the exhaust goes both are really good and people will go back and forth all day about which on is better. I have always been a Flowmaster kind of guy so thats what I put on mine, but if you want a lower quality exhaust go with magnaflow hahaha.

Hemi Joe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hello all - i just got my 2011 dodge ram 1500 5.7 hemi 2 weeks ago and have been debating on some things. i have debating on either magnaflow or flowmaster for my exhaust. if i was to go for the flowmaster i, kinda aiming at the super 44's, as far as mangaflow i really haven't check into it yet. also wanted to know what you guys think of the k&n 63-1561 in take. it's showing in dyno charts of a gain of 15hp then i hear that airaid is like 20hp? something like that. so any differences or options would help me with this debate im having with myself lol. Im also heard mangaflow = performance and flowmaster = sound, if this is true that is.

Stay away from the K&N unless you're just gonna do a drop in filter. I just saw an S&B for the first time at work. I was very impressed with the fit and finish. Definitely use Moes.

SILVER_BULLET

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
vararam intake 87mm moes tb and a 14" magnaflow will sound awesome

Gunz86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just installed 85MM ported TB and have the Air Grabeer on order, next up is the 14" mufflex/magnaflow all are bolt on so if you ever wanted to take off you could do so from the driveway. Order from MOE'S, Matt's a swell dude.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The guys all have you pointed in the right direction. Both S&B and Vararam are at the top of the list when it comes to performance and quality. The Vararam is going to show a little better performance increase, but the S&B is built stronger and almost looks like a factory part.

On the muffler, I am a big Magnaflow fan, so I would go with the 14" if you want it loud, or the 18" if you want it deep at idle, but a little more tame on the highway. I would keep your resonators on though to help reduce the drone in the cab.

cux211

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just installed the s&b cai and a magnaflow cat back went with the cat back for the 2.5 tails bigger tips and ditch the resi's all in all i'm happy with the set up the s&b does look good like it belongs there but i'm also learning I've been wrenching on diesels for the past 8 years talk about shell shock coming from a 750 rwhp 1500 lbft tq truck thanks to the EPA:flame:

Joe's 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The guys all have you pointed in the right direction. Both S&B and Vararam are at the top of the list when it comes to performance and quality. The Vararam is going to show a little better performance increase, but the S&B is built stronger and almost looks like a factory part.

On the muffler, I am a big Magnaflow fan, so I would go with the 14" if you want it loud, or the 18" if you want it deep at idle, but a little more tame on the highway. I would keep your resonators on though to help reduce the drone in the cab.

Matt, you feel the same about the resonators on the 2500?? was looking for something a little louder than the stock, but dont want to lose the low end torque. I heard that on the HEMI too big will loss low end torque which I relate to less pulling power- am I right thinking aobut that? Joe

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
I would go with a 24" Magnaflow and keep the resonator. This will give you better flow, better sound, but wont be loud in the cab. The stock muffler is restrictive, so I think yo uwill be happier with this setup than you would with the stock muffler minus the resonator.

SilsHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

This is great advice and exactly the reason Matt is the go to guy for parts here. He's going to sell you parts that work best for *your* needs.

I kept my resonator with my aftermarket muffler. It still sounds great and aggressive, but tame on highway without drone.

OP
OP
Oscurida

Oscurida

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what website some of you get the Mangaflow's and s&b's from, something like moes? also the s&b seams to be more expensive than the k&n's.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
We do sell both the S&B intake and Magnaflow mufflers. The S&B kits are about the same price as K&N, but they are a much better quality and offer better performance. There is no comparison between the 2 if you saw them side by side.

DMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500 4x4 Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Out of curiosity, what's wrong with the OEM filtration system?