Need some air intake and exhaust advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I decided to stop obsessing over silly cosmetic changes to my exterior and put all my money into performance. I'm going to be putting a level on it with a pair of Bilsteins first just to get that out of the way and then switching tires from 33" to 35" bit after that I want to focus under the hood and exhaust.

First of all I'm going to install a cold air intake. Considering the KN 63 series because it appears to give the best power bang for the buck for my model but open to other suggestions.

But what I have more questions about is exhaust. I'm thinking of a 14" magnaflow but here's what I want to do and not sure how to do it. I want to switch from my stock single tailpipe to 2 tailpipes both side-by-side coming out the side in the same location the factory one is. Possible?

Lastly, with both of these mods done, am I correct in assuming that I'm pretty much going to need a tuner as well? And what order should I install the intake/exhaust/tuner mods?

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
If you are going to add dual exhaust you can do just about anything, just find a good shop and they can make it happen, I had dual added , one each side

attachment.php

attachment.php

I went with a Volant because of the sealed box and the 100,000 mile power core filter

attachment.php

I am looking at tuners myself, going with the Diablosport intune and new pcm

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 392
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 375
  • DSCF2634 - Copy.jpg
    DSCF2634 - Copy.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 383

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My two canadian cts worth would be to keep saveing all do them all the same time..Then you can do a before and after comparision and tell us allll about it..

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
The K&N is actually at the bottom of the list when it comes to performance gains from an intake on these trucks. Its partial heat shield still allows engine heat to be sucked into the intake which limits the gains you would see from it. Take a look at the S&B as it is in the same price range and is a better built and better performing kit.

As for the exhaust, you can definitely do what you want. Just get the Magnaflow 12198 muffler and have a local shop build new tailpipes that exit where you want.

And having said that, I would actually do the tuner before either of these upgrades (unless you can swing all 3 upgrades at the same time). Tuning alone is going to show more of a gain than the intake and exhaust combined.

pt1655

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Moes

Roadshow, good post! There's always such a fine line between what do I want to do and what can I afford!
This is not intended as a plug outright to Moes, but their posts have consistently been honest, factual and candid. I have bought from Moes in the past and contacted their support dept and I have no complaints at all. They have always been upfront and honest with me, even explaining to me what I wanted to do with my Ram wasn't what was best and why with the $$ I had.
I have true dual exhaust, BullyDog GT tuner and AEM drop in dry air filter and the most bang for my buck, performance wise, was the BullyDog tuner. We use our truck to tow our travel trailer mainly and had I been able to afford it at the time I bought the BullyDog, I would have taken Moes advice and gotten the Diablo tuner instead as it has the customizable towing tune (as well as others) but it cost a good bit more than the BullyDog.
Anyway, have fun!

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I second that, order a new throttle body and it shipped out same day

Grabbing a tuner from Matt as well towards the end of the month once i get the cash rounded up , if you have big tires it can also fix the speedometer

Got $ 170.00 speeding ticket before I new my speedometer was affected by 37" tires :(

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
I agree with the K&N being bottom of the line, it's a hot air intake not a cold air intake, stay with a S&B or Volant or anything that draws outside the engine compartment air, as far as exhaust be careful with those drone master mufflers I've used them a couple of times and it can be so bad at times you wish you where anywhere but it your vehicle, they don't always do it but there is a reason they call them drone masters. I used a Gibson cat back and it sounds great and has no drone period.
You can put the stuff on in any order I did the intake, exhaust, 180 thermostat and headers before I installed a tuner.

Colton

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 ram sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I decided to stop obsessing over silly cosmetic changes to my exterior and put all my money into performance. I'm going to be putting a level on it with a pair of Bilsteins first just to get that out of the way and then switching tires from 33" to 35" bit after that I want to focus under the hood and exhaust.

First of all I'm going to install a cold air intake. Considering the KN 63 series because it appears to give the best power bang for the buck for my model but open to other suggestions.

But what I have more questions about is exhaust. I'm thinking of a 14" magnaflow but here's what I want to do and not sure how to do it. I want to switch from my stock single tailpipe to 2 tailpipes both side-by-side coming out the side in the same location the factory one is. Possible?

Lastly, with both of these mods done, am I correct in assuming that I'm pretty much going to need a tuner as well? And what order should I install the intake/exhaust/tuner mods?

I have a 4th gen sport 4x4 w/ 8 speed, and i have a S&B intake and flowmaster 44s catback exhaust and my truck sounds amazing if i do say so myself.
Since getting the exhaust and intake i reccomend both highly to anyone with a 4th gen (mine already had dual exhaust so there may be a sound difference)