need some muffler advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pedroghne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I finally decided I'm going to have the MagnaFlow 12288 18 welded in. much cheaper. my question is, should I have the shop remove the resonators. or should I do a longer muffler with no resonator. how is the drone

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Regardless of whether you do a long or short unit, when MDS kicks in and you don't have a resonator on it will drone. It might be less with a longer unit but it will still be noisy.

OP
OP
P

pedroghne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
proly gonna keep the resos then. how are the Jones maxflow mufflers. there like half the price of MagnaFlow. there's not too many clips on YouTube

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have been using the 14's for many years now and love them, oh the resonator went into the trash bin. At highway speeds with either the windows down or a/c on with the music at 25 I hear no drone personally.

Thepopeofpoland

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have the Magnaflow 14" direct replacement w/ resonators and it is plenty loud and no drone at highway speeds.

If he is referring to the mufflex unit, I have this as well and love the incognito volume at idle and aggressive tone when accelerating. Also haven't had any drone problems at highway speeds. Plus it's an easy 15 mm bolt disassembly and reassembly.

razor1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
proly gonna keep the resos then. how are the Jones maxflow mufflers. there like half the price of MagnaFlow. there's not too many clips on YouTube

not to be a ****, but dude you have an expensive truck , don't put cheap **** on it. Save up for the good quality parts you want. Makes all the difference in the long run.

OP
OP
P

pedroghne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
just because it's cheap, doesn't mean it's junk. I just went through a bunch of threads on different forums and people say the quality of the Jones muffler is great and made in the USA. same as MagnaFlow, just paying for the name

Jerry1984

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I had an 18 inch jones muffler. Sounded great, held up great. Ran it for 15000 miles before I sold the truck. It's still on the truck now. Went from a dynomax mini bullet, to the jones. Bullet was too loud when towing the camper. Jones 18 wasn't as loud as I'd have liked but could still hear it and drone was non existent.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005...es+muffler&dpPl=1&dpID=119IPw9ut9L&ref=plSrch
Stainless as well. I just clamped in a 3 inch diameter 15 inch or so long extension piece. Installed myself.
As to the why put cheap mufflers on an expensive rig? Well I'm going to have a corvette, camaro as or mustang gt within 5 years, and you're damn right I'll have dynomax bullets on there. Not a huge name, but the sound is amazing.
My 2014 with cheap exhaust. Got compliments all the time. Especially at startup.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qH7HIKhheUA

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pedroghne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had an 18 inch jones muffler. Sounded great, held up great. Ran it for 15000 miles before I sold the truck. It's still on the truck now. Went from a dynomax mini bullet, to the jones. Bullet was too loud when towing the camper. Jones 18 wasn't as loud as I'd have liked but could still hear it and drone was non existent.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005...es+muffler&dpPl=1&dpID=119IPw9ut9L&ref=plSrch
Stainless as well. I just clamped in a 3 inch diameter 15 inch or so long extension piece. Installed myself.
As to the why put cheap mufflers on an expensive rig? Well I'm going to have a corvette, camaro as or mustang gt within 5 years, and you're damn right I'll have dynomax bullets on there. Not a huge name, but the sound is amazing.
My 2014 with cheap exhaust. Got compliments all the time. Especially at startup.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qH7HIKhheUA

good today hear the Jones for u . thanks for the info

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My buddy has a max flow on his 2013 5.7, I had an 18 inch magnaflow on my 2012, sound is pretty much identical. I had the pleasure violator bolt in on my 2016, less drone than the magnaflow and better sound, but I took it off and did types m80 to a magnaflow y pipe. I'd get a mustang gt over the Camaro or better, had three of em and loved it.

roadshow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put in the magna 14" XL multichamber (not straight thru) on my 2012 a couple weeks ago. Sounds mean on startup and acceleration, sounds mean at low speed town driving, doesn't drone on highway. It's got a deep growl, without being an obnoxious noise that's going to have the entire street staring at you. I took the advice from here and several mechanics and left resos on. The reason why I went with this setup is best summed up by the response I got from my own muffler thread:
If OP is single and under 30, remove the resonators. Otherwise, leave them on.

The only exception to this is if your wife nags a lot. Take them off and you won't be able to tell the difference between her drone and and exhaust drone.

There you go. Not sure what to say about yours at 18" though. I don't know if you're getting multichamber or straight either.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Always used MagnaFlow but my buddy had Jones on his Silverado it sounded nice and they held up very well. I would probably go Borla, Magna, then Jones. Never RustMaster.

Rseghini

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I put in a 14" magnaflow direct replacement welded in same one that is on a muffled dod14m system and its way too loud. After just 50 miles I am removing it and looking to sell it. If anyone is interested please let me know thanks.