New 2017 1500 oil question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeeptrav21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys. Just bought a new ram last week and wanted to ask about oil types. The dealer told me just plain conventional. But I wanted to get opinions on if it would be worth it to run full synthetic or mixed synthetic instead. Or if that wouldn't be a good idea. I know in my old jeeps we stuck to conventional because it was thicker and would see through small spots. But I've also heard synthetic is cleaner and increases the life of the engine. Any thoughts? Thanks

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
synthetic oil thread

IMO I don't prefer blends, Synthetic is the way to go, and filter as well. How many miles? It is good to put a zinc additive one time for break in if your under 400 miles.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I use pennzoil platinum full synthetic. Fram synthetic filter.

sickboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
conventional oil? that's surprising. as far as i know, all new Rams come with full synthetic oil in everything. my dealer doesn't even offer conventional oil changes anymore. service contract is 4 full synthetic oil changes for $240.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Go full synthetic on that Hemi.

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've always used mobil one with better filters in my ram. In my older dakota, when i changed the oil to mobil one it seemed to improve the gas mileage. Maybe .5

Bigbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 1500 QC 8sp, 3.21, Lone Star
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe synthetic is the way to go. I use Quaker State Ultimate Durability Full Synthetic 5W20. What ever oil you use, conventional or synthetic, make sure that it indicates that it meets Chrysler MS-6395 specification on the bottle or jug. I also use the Chrysler oil filter.

OP
OP
Jeeptrav21

Jeeptrav21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cool thanks for the info guys

Jeff CA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are countless threads on this subject, if you want to do a search. I use RP and it eliminated the Hemi tick.

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are tons of threads all over the interwebs about this.

I use conventional because the Hemi engineers recommended it.

I've seen plenty of oil analysis with conventional at the recommended 10000 mile marks and everything came out good.

Mine's got the lifetime warranty on it so if their recommendations were false and I kill my motor, they will get me a new one anyways

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Trav: my question to you is ----> what type of oil do you want to run?

Do you plan on changing your oil two times a year or would you like to change your oil only once a year?

How much do you want to spend on every oil change?

My recommendation for conventional oil would be Pennzoil yellow bottle. With 5K to 7K mile oil change intervals.

If you want to spend a lot more on your change and possibly extend your oil change interval to one year there are many so-called Full Synthetic or 100% synthetic motor oil's that will fit your needs.

Once you decide that then we can talk about oil filters.

I (myself) find it easier just to follow my oil life monitor! It is smarter than me and actually does a very good job.

Last edited:

rango10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is the Mopar 4892339AA a good filter to use and is it made for synthetic?

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Is the Mopar 4892339AA a good filter to use and is it made for synthetic?

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

My opinion yes it is a good filter. No it does not contain synthetic media.

Top synthetic media filters are as follows.
Amsoil
Royal Purple
Fram Ultra
Wix XP

In no particular order. There are others but These are the filters that most owners have easy access to.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That question has been asked a bunch of times, if you want to know run that filter for your desired oil change interval then CUT IT OPEN, if the media is stiff it is no longer filtering, if it is pliable then it is still filtering. One thing for sure, the spun micro glass synthetic filters filter last way longer then any oil will last, paper filters do not. read synthetic oil thread for more info. Royal Purple/Amsoil, Fram Ultra, Wix XP/Napa Platinum, and a few others are spun microglass.

Syn beat me by a second, lol.

Last edited: