New 2017 transmission acting funny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nortac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello, I have a relatively new 2017 Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.7 and 3.92 gears. The truck has just at 2700 miles on it. This is my weekend vehicle and the last three times I let it sit more than a couple of days I noticed the following.
Whether the truck is parked head first or tail first in my drive way I start the engine and let it warm up a few seconds rotate the truck to drive, or reverse and back up then to drive, and slowly proceed down the road. On these occasions where the truck sat over two days the truck continued to stay stuck in 1st gear and then shift hard to second after winding up in the rpm range. This is with a very light foot. It doesn't do this any other time and once it goes into second it's fine and no other issues. I've been driving the truck very very easy working on gas mileage but other than this no issues.

Is this common or is something to be concerned about?

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2017 did this too. It went away after a few thousand kilometres.

Now the shifting is smooth as butter.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
take it to the dealer, could just need a software update.

OP
OP
N

nortac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll give it a few more thousand miles and if it gets worse or doesn't loosen up I'll take it in.
Sadly, the service department at my dealership here in Tyler will never answer the phone. ****** me off so I have to drive there just to make an appointment.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Isn't this the trans warming up ? Or once at operating temp does it continue ?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Would not think its normal, well atleast mine has never done this.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
When the transmission is cold it will hang on to first gear a little longer than normal to aid in heating up the fluid. How hard is it shifting? Is it banging into gear, or is it just slightly more firm than when it’s warm?

OP
OP
N

nortac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It really hasn't been cold here in east Texas until today......so I don't think the temp has anything to do with it. Like I mentioned each time though the truck sat for two or three days.
It just shifts hard from 1st to second as the rpm drop is significant. No clunk though.
Once it gets into second everything is as it should be from then on.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I don’t mean cold ambient temp. I mean as in the transmission isn’t at operating temperature. If it’s not banging or clunking into gear then I wouldn’t worry to much about it. Both my 17 and the 14 I had before it did the same thing for the first shift.

OP
OP
N

nortac1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ah, got ya! I will let it roll for a while then.
Thanks all!

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I'll give it a few more thousand miles and if it gets worse or doesn't loosen up I'll take it in.
Sadly, the service department at my dealership here in Tyler will never answer the phone. ****** me off so I have to drive there just to make an appointment.

Sounds like time to find a new dealer or at least complain to corporate about it.

fljab

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally I would take it in and at least have them write it up as a record. If it continues to do this after a more miles, take it back again. I know it's a PITA, but warranties are all about the record keeping and what they've done to fix it. Who knows, it may be something they've seen before with the 8 sp trans; if not then maybe it'll help the next guy...

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956