New to cams. What do they exactly do

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Txhemirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am looking to add a cam to my truck and I am wondering what the benefits are and what kind of horsepower increase I can expect? I am hoping to do this by mid next year and then have a procharger put on at some point

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make sure you talk to whoever you buy the cam from and make note to them that you are going to add a procharger so you can get a cam with a profile for forced induction. Cams respond differently depending on what you buy. If you are looking for something specific make sure you talk to the people about that as well. Some cams are better in the low rpms and torquey and some cams work better at higher rpms depending on if you are running high rpms all the time. I know moes has a few cams for the 5.7 so if you message them and ask they may be able to get back to you with a better response

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yeah good point. NA cams and FI cams are different. you can find a middle of the road one as well but it would probably be a custom grind cam. I would call the cam manufacturer and tell them what your build plans are so they can spec a cam for you. Also find out what else is necessary to install with the cam and at what specs are needed. you normally cant just change the cam only. if you are going thru all this you should also look into doing full exhaust, headers and all. Let us know if you need any help and/or pricing. also going to need a tune

Last edited:
OP
OP
Txhemirt

Txhemirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Make sure you talk to whoever you buy the cam from and make note to them that you are going to add a procharger so you can get a cam with a profile for forced induction. Cams respond differently depending on what you buy. If you are looking for something specific make sure you talk to the people about that as well. Some cams are better in the low rpms and torquey and some cams work better at higher rpms depending on if you are running high rpms all the time. I know moes has a few cams for the 5.7 so if you message them and ask they may be able to get back to you with a better response

Thanks for the heads up man. I will definitely run that by them and see what they say. I might skip the cam if it could pose any issues going forward with the procharger. Love the sound but I'd rather have the big hp gain from the procharger

OP
OP
Txhemirt

Txhemirt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yeah good point. NA cams and FI cams are different. you can find a middle of the road one as well but it would probably be a custom grind cam. I would call the cam manufacturer and tell them what your build plans are so they can spec a cam for you. Also find out what else is necessary to install with the cam and at what specs are needed. you normally cant just change the cam only. if you are going thru all this you should also look into doing full exhaust, headers and all. Let us know if you need any help and/or pricing. also going to need a tune

Sounds good man. I'm running long tubes but may be considering muffler change soon.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Jay greene does CUSTOM cams for the hemi.

tuned by Jay Greene

That's good to know honestly. I'm planing to cam my truck in the future myself and knowing he programs as well is a win win

Thanks for the heads up man. I will definitely run that by them and see what they say. I might skip the cam if it could pose any issues going forward with the procharger. Love the sound but I'd rather have the big hp gain from the procharger

The cam shouldn't pose any issues with forced induction. Certain cams work better with forced induction is what I mean. That way you get the best bang for your buck.