New Carven Muffler yesterday and now throwing fault codes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RHorseUSMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had debated for a while on which muffler to get, Carven or Spintech. Went with the Carven. Had it installed yesterday and today the check engine light is on. I used the Torque app on my phone along with my PLX Bluetooth reader and pulled the following codes related to air/ fuel mixture.

P025D - Fuel pump module circuit high
P0202 - Injector Circuit Open/ Cylinder 2
P2504 - Charging System Voltage High

Before I go and switch mufflers does anyone have any ideas on this? I ran a system test with the app and I can see the values are out of the acceptable range for the O2 Heater Monitor Bank 4 Sensor 4 and O2 Bank 2 Sensor 1.

Any help is greatly appreciated on this.

doz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A muffler will not cause you to throw those codes. Maybe an o2 sensor was disconnected by chance? Id check to ensure all 4 are in place first and foremost, then see if any other connections were knocked loose by chance.

Who did the install? If you cannot readily find the problem, Id take the truck back and tell them to fix whatever they screwed up.

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
the codes u thru have nothing to do with o2's. It's either a fluke or something was knocked loose around the gas tank maybe? But that wouldn't explain the charging system voltage high...

it's a '13... bring it in...

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Wonder if the shop welded the kit while on the truck and possibly messed up something electrical in the computer. As said, swapping out your muffler will not cause the computer to throw any codes as there are no sensors in the muffler.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This doest explain all the codes you have , but I've heard on here somewhere during exhaust upgrades to ensure to put your sensors back in there original location , I think they are sensitive to where they are originally ...a good idea to identify them to.their spacific location prior to removal .

OP
OP
RHorseUSMC

RHorseUSMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going to look at it this morning to double check all the sensors. I'm sure no sensors got moved, it was just removal of the stock muffler and replacing with the much shorter Carven. Some extensions had to be made to connect back to the tail pipes.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Matt's got a point. Did they weld the muffler in, or clamp it? I bet Bubba just slapped a ground onto the frame and threw a bead around the pipe joins.

If he grounded wrong, it could have messed up your control module--happens a lot with body and fender dimwits too.

Cha-Chinga!!!

DoubleTap

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just had my y pipe and muffler from carven installed and I don't have any codes and no issues. And the codes you have do not have anything to do with the exhaust or O2's.

Riored4v just had the same setup installed and no issues and no codes. And his dad and a couple other friends had theirs installed at the same time and no issues or codes.

It is not the muffler.

OP
OP
RHorseUSMC

RHorseUSMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny thing happened when I pulled our camper out of the garage, hooked up the harness and after I unplugged it, drove the truck and the EVIC had a message to service trailer brakining system. Shut the truck off and restarted ten minutes later and the message is gone. Check engine light is now off. Scanned and the codes were still there. I cleared the codes before we left for the weekend and the truck has been running great, codes are gone. I have put close to 300 miles on it and we still have the drive back Monday. There's something going on but seems to be intermittent. I'll just have to wait and see I guess.
Love the sound of the Carven but it was pretty loud in the cab pulling our camper. Couldn't really carry on a conversation. As much as I hate to I may be swapping it for something a little milder.

Timeless

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You did just the carven and it is that loud?

Did you also do the Y adapter?

I'm looking at this setup but do not want something that makes conversation impossible in the cab.

OP
OP
RHorseUSMC

RHorseUSMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I did the Carven and the Y adapter back to the factory takes. It's all welded in. I also have the S&B intake. Mine on a crew cab. I just got back from a camping trip. Pulled the camper over 400 miles. Had to use Tow/ Haul mode. The worst was country roads, 1600 RPM, around 53-55 MPH. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound the Hemi makes. It turns heads for sure. But I camp a lot with the family so I tow several times a year in the summer. It's just a little too loud inside the cab for me.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
hmmm odd, must have screwed someting up welding it on!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963