New dodge MPG questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1) The truck has 52,*** miles on it of unknown "right foot factor" and unknown maintenance.
2) You're driving in cold climate; vehicles never get their best mileage during cold winter months
3) Manufacturers use a dyno and something called toluene (sp?) for fuel to achieve high EPA ratings. They have no hills, headwinds or aerodynamic drag to deal with which artificially inflates their figures. I've never seen a brand new vehicle achieve the numbers they claim.

Sorry, buttercup. If your air filter is clean, the tires are inflated etc, it might just be what your going to get for winter mileage, but it should improve once it warms up outside.

OP
OP
H

Hammer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1) The truck has 52,*** miles on it of unknown "right foot factor" and unknown maintenance.
2) You're driving in cold climate; vehicles never get their best mileage during cold winter months
3) Manufacturers use a dyno and something called toluene (sp?) for fuel to achieve high EPA ratings. They have no hills, headwinds or aerodynamic drag to deal with which artificially inflates their figures. I've never seen a brand new vehicle achieve the numbers they claim.

Sorry, buttercup. If your air filter is clean, the tires are inflated etc, it might just be what your going to get for winter mileage, but it should improve once it warms up outside.

Buttercup, I like that! lol. Well as long as its not because there is something wrong with it then I am OK with that.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
mpg

I checked with the dealership, and they couldn't tell me what they put in it but they keep 5W30 in bulk so I assume that's what they used. I have it scheduled to go to the dodge dealership to get checked out soon. Do you think a CAI and free flow exhaust will help? Another topic, but what's some good ones that won't murder my wallet?

Before you spend the $$ on a exhaust and cai find out for sure what the prob is and watch your mpg to climb....You may spend the $ on the goodys but it may also mask the issue at hand..

Your mpg drop is extreme and there is a prob,some is the cold air...Hell on my big rig i only drop 1 to 1.5 mpg in the winter on winter blend fuel..

1st off slow down,at 75 nothin gets good mpg..Track every tank on paper and dont rely on any dash mounted puter to tell you your mpg..I can almost promice a cpl mpg increase if you went 65..

So many things can be wrong its hard to pin point one..Big rig owner operators sometimes use oil analysis to find problems..Contact POLARIS Laboratories®: Oil Analysis Companies, Preventative Maintenance Service Company

Send in a oil sample in a clean container,with miles on your truck and that oil with name email,phone # and all the details of the truck..

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
It has 52,*** miles on it.
I'm highly suspicious that your plugs didn't get changed at 30K as required. Most plugs go 60-100K, so its natural a Chevy stealership would not even think to check. :Nonono:

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm highly suspicious that your plugs didn't get changed at 30K as required. Most plugs go 60-100K, so its natural a Chevy stealership would not even think to check. :Nonono:

Good call. Even if they were, it's near time to do so again, so it would not be money wasted to get the parts (and tools) on hand to change them as you edge towards 60,000. Who knows? The stealership may have changed just the front 4cyl/8 plugs which are easy to get at in case you pulled one to check. A new set of 16 is in order.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

So Hammer, what's the status? Have you found anything or is it just lousey ehtanol based winter fuel?