New fan clutch now its really loud

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RedAlert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So the truck started overheating on saturday. Brought it to the local dealer, which diagnosed a bad fan clutch. They had it in stock so they fixed it on the spot. Good news is it no longer over heats, in fact it stays right at 200 degrees unless it's climbing a long hill. Bad news is it's loud as hell, sounds like a semi at first start up. It stays loud for the first few minutes or until I drive it few blocks. I know they original one never did that, in fact it was mostly disengaged when it was at idle unless the motor was hot already. Called the dealership and they say that it's completely normal nothing to worry about.

Anyone else's fans really loud when first started?

MyOhFive

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Yes this is completely normal. Your old one didn't do it because it was broken. It's the fluid coupler that engages the fan.

Limeybastard

Reaction score
Shady Hills, Rednecksville Boro, Florida.
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny this is mentioned. As I could have sworn mine when bought from new didn't do this. But I posted a thread and I was told its normal. Same thing loud growl on startup.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk