New squeak. 2017 Ram Hemi. Can’t find it [emoji35]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Ok so I’ve been hearing a squeak and assumed it was people around me until I was in a drive through next to the building. Turned off my truck and squeak Went away. It’s very random high pitched and I can’t isolate it. The closest I’ve got to isolating it is it’s coming from bottom of engine bay. It’s when I’m sitting still. I can’t hear if it does it while I’m moving cause the road noise and exhaust. Doesn’t seem to have any rhythm to it at all.

So confused......

Here’s a link to my vid

https://youtu.be/5CH99cYXI7o

https://youtu.be/jTEoMHySkXE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That’s weird as I have the same sound on my 2011. I’ll be watching this to see what people suggest. :)

Father Of Four

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
My only thought is the water pump recall. Maybe that’s the water pump failing ?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
First thing I would check is belt and pulleys and then u joints.

liftedpsd2010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
heme
First thing I would check is belt and pulleys and then u joints.
I agree on belt and pulleys but if he shut it off and it stopped it can't be the u joints

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk

Buckfat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016-2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Sounds like a bad bearing in the water pump,idler pulley,or alternator.

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you get someone in the truck and give it some rpm. See if it still does it.
Either way, get it to the dealer and see what they say, that's not one of those "it's normal sounds "
Luke

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My only thought is the water pump recall. Maybe that’s the water pump failing ?

And didn't that recall say may cause fire?

My wife's hemi charger has an active recall for alternaor because bearing can lock up cause fire.

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Can you get someone in the truck and give it some rpm. See if it still does it.
Either way, get it to the dealer and see what they say, that's not one of those "it's normal sounds "
Luke

That’s a good idea. Next time I have the chance I’ll ask a buddy. Might be hard to use over the Flowmaster but worth a shot. Good this is a “normal” sound when having the dealer look at it lll have no choice but to question my loyalty to Ram and FCA In general. I highly doubt they’ll say that but nothing is impossible when it comes to dealers.

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
And didn't that recall say may cause fire?

My wife's hemi charger has an active recall for alternaor because bearing can lock up cause fire.

You’re right. The recall did mention failure may cause fire. However, I am pretty sure I read no cases have been recorded as of yet. I hope I’m not driving around in a giant Zipo lighter! I have probably 3-4000 more kilometres before my first oil change I hope it can wait. Unless I get a recall letter in the mail first

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You’re right. The recall did mention failure may cause fire. However, I am pretty sure I read no cases have been recorded as of yet. I hope I’m not driving around in a giant Zipo lighter! I have probably 3-4000 more kilometres before my first oil change I hope it can wait. Unless I get a recall letter in the mail first

No recalls like this for 1500's yet.

I do have a friend who's charger did catch fire because of the alternator last year, luckily the fire didn't start until he was stopped at a store so they grabbed a fire extinguisher and put it out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
No recalls like this for 1500's yet.

I do have a friend who's charger did catch fire because of the alternator last year, luckily the fire didn't start until he was stopped at a store so they grabbed a fire extinguisher and put it out.

The article I read stated heavy duty and light duty rams. 46,000 in Canada almost half a mil south of the border

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The water pump recall is for the Cummins.

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine had a rubbing/squeaking noise that sounded like it was coming from the dashboard/windshield area. It turned out to be the spacer they use to install the windshield at the factory. If I remember correctly, to get to it you have to unscrew the cowl that has the windshield wipers. A few people have also had this same squeaking noise caused by this.

Edit: Just saw you had a video, sounds different than mine did. Sorry.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I guess we can rule out u joints.

OP
OP
Addicted2fishing

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Somebody commented on my YouTube video that his squeak was a fan clutch? Could that be the issue? I find it odd that cold makes it go away and I find it odd that it doesn’t change with RPM.

Going to book an appointment for oil change and mention it to them

Mods: EGR matte black bug deflector, Westin R5 steps in black, rough county bull bar with 20” LED, custom made NW seat covers in real tree camo, husky liner mats, husky liner mud guards, undercover LUX tonneau cover, Tailgate assist, flowmaster super 40 with resonators, tinted 15% front, LED C shaped tail lights.

Tpearson515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Somebody commented on my YouTube video that his squeak was a fan clutch? Could that be the issue? I find it odd that cold makes it go away and I find it odd that it doesn’t change with RPM.

Going to book an appointment for oil change and mention it to them

Mods: EGR matte black bug deflector, Westin R5 steps in black, rough county bull bar with 20” LED, custom made NW seat covers in real tree camo, husky liner mats, husky liner mud guards, undercover LUX tonneau cover, Tailgate assist, flowmaster super 40 with resonators, tinted 15% front, LED C shaped tail lights.
Have you tried spraying your pulleys/belt with soap water?I work in a shop and we use this method sometimes to isolate worn pulleys, belt slipping etc...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

14RAM1500BG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Slight squeaking on mine also. Sounds like it is coming from the belt or pulleys but I haven`t checked it out yet.