New to Tuners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THE WHITE BEAST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys,
I have read allot on here about different computers and different chips. I was wondering what tuner and what tune you would recommend. I have a 2013 Sport 1500 Crew Cab, 4.56 Gears, 6" rxc with bilsteins set to the max(about 9 inches of suspension lift, and a 3" body lift, I currently have 37's but I wanna go up to 40's. Other than the suspension everything is stock. Please let me know what you recommend!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Diablo tuner with a Hemifever custom tune. Normally the three first and basic performance upgrades: Tuner, CAI and exhaust.
Jay

Ditto.

These are the best bang for the buck mods you can do.

OP
OP
T

THE WHITE BEAST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, when you say "tuned by jay greene" what does that mean? I know there are different tunes that can do different things but what is the advantage to each one, and is it possible to switch between tunes?

What is the difference between a Diablo or a Bully Dog?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
To switch between tunes you have to unload one tune, then load the other tune. It's a bit of a chore and there is no switching on the fly.

Hemifever and Jay Greene are two individuals who provide custom tunes. They both have their supporters and detractors regarding the tunes they write. My belief is, at the end of the day, you get a comparable product and you would be happy with either.

Sorry but I have no idea how the Bully Dog works so I can't compare between the two products. I can say, however, that I have been very happy with the results in using DiabloSport tuners on 3 of my Hemi powered vehicles.

Good luck with your decision.

OP
OP
T

THE WHITE BEAST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, I am getting a better idea of things, only thing is which tuner to get? I like the price and size of the bully dog, but everyone has a diablo so I feel like that may be like the best bet.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
This is just my personal opinion. I'd highly recommend the DiabloSport products.

You can get a package deal for a tuner and a custom tune through Moe's Performance, a Preferred Vendor here. Call Matt 214-789-1110 MON-FRI 9 AM-5PM CT
or send him a PM through the forum. His user name here is Hemi450hp.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Same tunes as the DiabloSport I2. It does add a real time display you can use if you want to mount it in your truck.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Most guys go with the Diablo tuners because they are custom tuneable. You can also get custom tuning with the Bullydog 40417, but there are fewer experienced Hemi tuners that have the SCT software to write custom tuning for you on the Bullydog unit. Hemifever can set you up with custom tuning with either Diablo or SCT though.

Right now, we have the Diablo tuners with Hemifever custom tuning on sale through the end of the year, and the pricing is very hard to beat.

The tuning is identical between the i2 and the Trinity, so the difference in price is because of the monitor. The Trinity monitor will allow you to view your gauges in real time and record 0-60, 1/8th, and 1/4 mile times. If you dont care for those features, I would save the money and go with the i2 instead.

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ok, when you say "tuned by jay greene" what does that mean? I know there are different tunes that can do different things but what is the advantage to each one, and is it possible to switch between tunes?

What is the difference between a Diablo or a Bully Dog?
thats my signature. its just me supporting my custom tuner he isnt a vendor here and there is always a conflict when jay and sean are mentioned together so its my way of supporting jay. in my opinion if you just want a tuner then go with diablo if you want to get a little more out of it you will need a custom tune. jay has outstanding customer service and in my opinion he is a better tuner but it is your money and your decision to make on who you want.

tuned by Jay Greene

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm relatively new to tuning as well. Over the weekend I just got my Diablo Trinity and Hemifever tunes. I have zero experience with Jay Greene or Bully Dog tuners, but I can tell you I'm extremely happy with my Trinity and HF tunes. REALLY woke my truck up.

Definitely contact Matt at Moe's. He's super helpful and answered my tuner newb questions. Sean at HF is a great guy as well. Sent me my custom tunes within hours on a Saturday.

Good luck with your choice and happy tuning!

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I agree trinity diablo t1000 and a HF custom 93 is the way to go. Buy from Matt at Moes and you are set!!!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Get the Trinity if you want the real time, configurable display. If you don't need that, save some money and get the Diablosport I2.

As far as tunes, custom tuning and user configured options they are the same.

jag1886

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Demi 5.7 S&B CAI, flowmaster merge collector, Gibson cat back, oil catch can, 87
Ok, I am getting a better idea of things, only thing is which tuner to get? I like the price and size of the bully dog, but everyone has a diablo so I feel like that may be like the best bet.

I was in the same boat as you, never used one of these things before. I bought the Diable from Moes and then had problems getting the update done mainly because I have a Mac computer instead of a PC, Moes took care of it for me totally updated the tuner for me and Hemi Fever did the same thing for me. These are both very helpful companies. If you have a PC and are moderately computer savvy this is a simple thing to do.
The canned tune that came in the tuner was an improvement over stock and the Hemi Fever tune was even more of an improvement, this is a very worthwhile upgrade.
I'm a complete computer dork and if I could get this done anyone can.