nitrous help please?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
OK I've got a 2015 with 5.7 and 8 speed tuned with a few mods and was thinking of doing a 75 shot of nitrous and was wondering can I just put it on there and spray or do I need to tune for it , Change plugs ,etc. there is a kit on Moe's for 440 and that's within my budget but I also want a 5lb bottle instead of a 10 lb bottle and I can't seem to find one with a 5lb bottle unless I want to pay 200 dollars for one and then the big bottle will kind of just sit there .it's a waste and kinda a deal breaker for me. I've never done nitrous so I'm wondering what I need to do with the truck before I spend my money I've been reading a lot on it but I want y'all to help me on some of the things I'm unsure of . please?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
For a 75 shot I would pull 2 degrees of timing from your tune or run 91 and use the 87 tune but you don't need to change plugs for a shot that small. The 10lb bottle doesn't last very long, keep that in mind; I'll get 4-5 runs down the track with a 10lb bottle with a 125 shot so a 75 shot would be about 6-8 runs before it's too low to do any good. You will really want a bottle heater if you use it repeatedly because the pressure will drop quickly as it's used and cools itself which reduces the pressure.

thebeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I personally would not gamble without a tune . You got a brand new truck , to much to lose if you grenade the motor. At least put it on a dyno so they can monitor A/F ratio and back off if it leans out. I have always tuned and ran colder plugs but ran 150-250 shots on previous cars. Get a good tune and throw a 150hp shot on it!

OP
OP
shane1981

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm not gonna be running on the track its gonna be for Street only. I'm not looking to race but there always seems to be somebody on the way home from work or just anywhere . I just want a small bottle for one or two hits and be able to use it whenever I need to without changing the tune if possible. I've already beaten a couple of mustangs and camaros but I want for the big fat 4 door to embarrass them. I just want to run my everyday 93 tune and spray it without having to change tunes if that's possible.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
You can fit the 10lb bottle under the back seat. I think you would get tired of having to refill a 5lb bottle every other day, so i would just stick with the 10lb. I would also grab the stage 2 acessory kit as you need a bottle heater, nitrous gauge, and purge kit to get he most out of this.

Nitrous is fun, but it is not the type of mod you want to just throw together and hope works. Do it once, and do it right. You will be much happier in the long run.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This should help.

nitrous help

For a 75, I have made several passes on the stock plugs and 93 fuel, on the canned Diablo 93 tune. At an 11.3 AFR, I registered no knock retard on any of the runs, and had no problems. The kit you're looking at on Moe's is the nitrous outlet brand X kit that I started with, it's a good starting point. It's not something you can just throw on and forget about.

If you plan on only ever running a 75 shot on the street, at the minimum you will need:
The nitrous kit
A bottle heater
A pressure gauge
A blow down tube if you're mounting in the cab

I would strongly recommend a wideband to monitor AFR. The recommended jetting for the kit is really rich, and will probably foul plugs quickly. I worked up from 75 and on every increment at their recommended jetting the AFR was 10.1-10.3 which is pig rich. Rich is safer than lean so they probably do that to work a safety net in there.

A remote bottle opener is a good idea for quick opening on the street, since you don't want to drive around all day with the bottle open.

OP
OP
shane1981

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
This should help.

nitrous help

For a 75, I have made several passes on the stock plugs and 93 fuel, on the canned Diablo 93 tune. At an 11.3 AFR, I registered no knock retard on any of the runs, and had no problems. The kit you're looking at on Moe's is the nitrous outlet brand X kit that I started with, it's a good starting point. It's not something you can just throw on and forget about.

If you plan on only ever running a 75 shot on the street, at the minimum you will need:
The nitrous kit
A bottle heater
A pressure gauge

I would strongly recommend a wideband to monitor AFR. The recommended jetting for the kit is really rich, and will probably foul plugs quickly. I worked up from 75 and on every increment at their recommended jetting the AFR was 10.1-10.3 which is pig rich. Rich is safer than lean so they probably do that to work a safety net in there.

A remote bottle opener is a good idea for quick opening on the street, since you don't want to drive around all day with the bottle open.

thanks .that's the kinda info that I'm looking for

thebeet

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
This should help.

nitrous help

The nitrous kit
A bottle heater
A pressure gauge

This looks good but I would add a RPM activated window switch. Make sure the kit has a fuel pressure safety switch ,if not add one. When you do a nitrous system right it gets to be well over $1K .

OP
OP
shane1981

shane1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
anybody else ? I have a custom tune and am worried about the timing issue .there are so many conflicting threads everywhere that I'm confused and would like some serious feedback . I know there are more of yall out there with experience and an opinion .

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Many guys have run up to a 100 shot without pulling any timing...you just need to make sure you have no less than 93 octane fuel in the tank if you are going to do so. Most of the email tuners do not charge anything for nitrous tunes, so just ask your tuner to send you 1 to be safe.