No Sythetic In Hemis? Huh?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Many motors today come off the assembly line with a so-called Full Synthetic in the crankcase.

This is all I ever needed to know or need to know now.

I switched to a synthetic oil at the 1000 mile mark. As of today I do 8000 mile OCI's with zero oil burn between these changes.

Last edited:

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
Hey, isn't this a place to help others with proper information and past experiences instead of an incompetent person bad mouthing others?
Prove me wrong.
Hey, isn't this a place where a person can post his/her opinions?
Re read post number 18.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I had bad experience with my 2005 Jeep that had the 5.7 hemi. I used synthetic since day one of purchase but after 4 years i had terrible knocking from the engine and the Chrysler mechanic informed me it was due to synthetic.

That mechanic was full BS..
Synthetic oil wouldn't have caused the issue unless the wrong weight, wrong grade or oil wasn't changed when required. The same would apply for conventional dino oil.

LumberJakl

Reaction score
Ram Year
'17 Sport QC
Engine
5.7L 4x4
That mechanic was full BS..
Synthetic oil wouldn't have caused the issue unless the wrong weight, wrong grade or oil wasn't changed when required. The same would apply for conventional dino oil.

Well then, I am wrong then. Time to do some research. Thank you for your response unlike the other ignorant person

jljbtm

Reaction score
These forums are full of opinions and you really have to consider the source of that opinion or research the knowledge. It's easy when eveyone concludes the same thing.
I have used mobile 1 full synthetic in my 05Magnum for over 10years and she runs perfect for over 10years. I also had the oil drain tested more than once by an independent lab just to push the intervals,I started at 5000mile interval and they said it was still good go ahead and push it, then I tested at 7500 and they said push it some more I'm now over 10,000 mile intervals and that oil is still good! Also VW says 10,000 miles on all their engines as I'm sure other European cars do the same.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

SJP_1809

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My dad bought my mom a brand new 2006 300c and since the break in period it's only had Mobil 1 in it and it runs like a champ.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well then, I am wrong then. Time to do some research. Thank you for your response unlike the other ignorant person

did you find out what the knock was? i doubt using the syn had much to do with any issues you had as long as your oci was reasonable. one place to start your research would be the synthetic oil thread. some very knowledgeable folks posting in the thread. another place is bitog.com. i have been using synthetic oil in every new engine since i could afford new cars, back in the eighties. never had an oil related issue. my father never used anything but dino in any car he owned, never had an oil issue. of course he was a 3000 mile oci man till the day he died.

fravr1955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have been using Red Line in my 2013 longhorn since the first oil change , I do the oil change my self and two Hemi powered GC Jeeps before that. Just my 2 cents worth and no problems.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
They should change the name of Redline to Hemi Honey, there aint nothing better for the Hemi.

OP
OP
J

jnag48

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have better things to do than troll a ram forum but thanks. I was just seeing if anyone else has been told this

hoe...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealer told me do not change oil until 15000km or I would risk not bedding engine in properly, and to only use full synthetic to manufacturers spec, 0/40 here as it's hot.
Apparently they come from new with a special running in oil which needs to stay in until running in miles are completed.
Some customers have been changing oil earlier, thinking they are doing the right thing, but are risking damage/early wear on their engines as a result.
The clearences on the hemi engines are very tight according to the local dealer.

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Some of us just have other things going on. And who trolls a truck forum? Get a life
First WELCOME to the group sorry that guy was just plain rude! 99.9% of the people here will go out of there way to help ! On topic your mechanic is living in the past! But some people are old school and never change their opinions..