No Sythetic In Hemis? Huh?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
Dealer told me do not change oil until 15000km or I would risk not bedding engine in properly, and to only use full synthetic to manufacturers spec, 0/40 here as it's hot.
Apparently they come from new with a special running in oil which needs to stay in until running in miles are completed.
Some customers have been changing oil earlier, thinking they are doing the right thing, but are risking damage/early wear on their engines as a result.
The clearences on the hemi engines are very tight according to the local dealer.

Sent from my LON-L29 using Tapatalk

Nah, to seat rings do 3 good WOT runs from a stop up to 70 the first day. They'll either be seated once done or something was off and the engine grenades under warranty. I personally would change the oil immediately after doing the 3 hard pulls to get that break in crap out of it.

milspecmark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nah, to seat rings do 3 good WOT runs from a stop up to 70 the first day. They'll either be seated once done or something was off and the engine grenades under warranty. I personally would change the oil immediately after doing the 3 hard pulls to get that break in crap out of it.

I agree with this completely :happy107:

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I switched to synthetic on my new truck after 2,000 miles and yes my mechanic recommended it as well.

I was told the 6.4 in my 2500 came from the factory with synthetic in it. Thought that was really odd. I have always heard before, that hinders the break in process. New engines, I do the first oil change around 1,500 to 2,000 mi. just to get all of the new break in metal out of there. Then follow up with normal driving conditions changes per the manual with synthetic.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The theory use to be, to seat new rings you should break a new engine in with conventional oil.
I have read with modern machining and new ring composition this is no longer true.
Not really sure if I am buying it ever was true.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
The theory use to be, to seat new rings you should break a new engine in with conventional oil.
I have read with modern machining and new ring composition this is no longer true.
Not really sure if I am buying it ever was true.

Theory is conventional is cheaper to throw away on the first short interval. You could definitely use synthetic. Whatever comes in them from the factory works fine.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was told the 6.4 in my 2500 came from the factory with synthetic in it. Thought that was really odd. I have always heard before, that hinders the break in process. New engines, I do the first oil change around 1,500 to 2,000 mi. just to get all of the new break in metal out of there. Then follow up with normal driving conditions changes per the manual with synthetic.

i am told this is old thinking and doesn't need to be done. that being said, i will be be doing my first oil change at 2500 miles and will be putting synthetic. sometimes i like old thinking.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
A new vehicle or a new engine is a pretty big investment. I've personally never heard of anyone hurting their engine by changing the oil too often. Sometimes old school is overkill but it's certainly not wrong as it's opposite of neglect. Neglect is the only wrong way to maintain anything.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye