not hemi tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Freed127

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Figured id check in with you guys on an issue I had today. Hopefully I'm just over thinking things. Its been pretty cold here in pa recently, low teens. Well this afternoon when I started my truck I had a ticking on the driver side that I could hear when i went to walk back to the house. I know what the usual hemi tick sounds like on startup because I have that occasionally. But this just seems to be a hair louder, or a harder tick I guess you can say. My mind jumped to possibly my new longtubes having a leak, and I went on my way. Well, when I returned home the tick still was there, perhaps a bit less. When I crawled under the truck I can deffinatly hear the tick in the driver header. I checked my bolts and all seem tight the best they can be without pulling my inner fender. With no sign of black from an exhaust leak at the flange.

I hear these horror stories of lifter failures occasionally on the 5.7s and i scare myself. How loud would that be if it is that case? The truck only just hit 17k last night, i really hope something isn't wrong internally. Any other possible ideas that might calm my nerves? haha

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My lifter tick started at 3k miles, I ended it shortly after with ester based Redline oil and a good flow Royal Purple filter. Many guys have had the same success with the same combo. Right this minute it is very cheap compared to what it usually is, worth a shot. Even with shipping that is 14 bucks cheaper then you can buy it locally.

OP
OP
Freed127

Freed127

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My lifter tick started at 3k miles, I ended it shortly after with ester based Redline oil and a good flow Royal Purple filter. Many guys have had the same success with the same combo. Right this minute it is very cheap compared to what it usually is, worth a shot. Even with shipping that is 14 bucks cheaper then you can buy it locally.

I might have to give it a try if it doesn't go away. I'm currently running Pennzoil Platinum and it deff quieted the hemi tick some, but this sound is deff new

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If the sound changes when you add oil, you know it is an internal problem. Read Moly basics, two oils have super high doses of moly, Motul or Redline. It took 500 miles for my tick to go away after adding, I believe it took that long for the moly to plate. The moly in engine oil is oil soluble, it is very small molecules, better then most additives. Anyhow, good luck

Moly in Redline or motul is about 800ppm in platinum about 60ppm.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is the Motul or Redline a approved oil to use in our Rams by Chrysler? Does that stuff even matter??? I used Mobil 1 on my Silverado, but when I got my Ram I made the switch to Penzoil because on the fine print on the back of the jug. Mobil 1 wasn't approved, but Penzoil was.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
They certify they meet and exceed the spec, but don't pay for the cert.

OP
OP
Freed127

Freed127

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well guys, did another start this morning and the tick seemed to appear as the truck warmed up. Its faint, but im going to keep and eye on it. If it gets any worse it will be headed to the dealer. Its deffinately and internal tick for sure, sounds like the top end too

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Good luck with the dealer, they rarely do anything. Hopefully it fails under warranty if it fails. Hemi tick is real frustrating part of these engines for those of us who get it. A lot of guys ignore it and even take it as a badge of honor. But bottom line, if it is lifter tick, it is a condition that often leads to cam lobe problems. The lifters are not lifting smoothly, which means the down line there are consequences. If you can solve it with oil, that would be the easiest but not a 100% answer for people. I've even heard of guys changing the lifters and still have the tick. As for any oil additives, most have no effect on tick. But if the dealer doesn't do anything, you may want to try something before dumping the oil. If that is the case you might try something elemental instead of an oil thickner like Lucas. Maybe a moly treat or zinc.

VB712

Maxi_built
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I really haven't heard of many engine failures with these trucks.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
With all do respect, try putting these words in your google, "cam problems hemi".

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
With only 17,000 miles your still under warranty i would just take it to the dealer. My 2011 at 50,000 miles had to have the cam replaced along with the lifters because of a TICK sound. They told me the cam had smoothed out causing the lifters to tick. Luckily it was all covered under warranty. After that I switched to AMSOIL Signature Series along with the corresponding filter. Says you can go 20,000 on an oil change. I don't go anywhere near that though.

ckeefer58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My truck has 2 broken header studs on the passenger side. I also live in PA and the last few mornings it has been extremely noticable until the truck warms up. I couldn't tell my studs were broken without pulling the inner fender. Might be worth a try just to narrow it down.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So to everyone for hijacking the thread...

They certify they meet and exceed the spec, but don't pay for the cert.

What would happen if I take my truck in to the dealer for a engine problem and they ask what oil I've been using? Is there any harm by telling them its a non Chrysler approved oil? As long as its the proper weight i should be fine right?Could they void the warranty work by blaming it on me not using the proper approved oil?
And am I correct by saying that Mobil 1 synthetic doesn't have the Chrysler certificate of approval?

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I rather use Redline and have no tick than worry about stupid chrysler specs that are only in place to give you better MPG #'s and have zero consideration for engine longevity. IE 0W20 oil. that is absolutely the worse oil to put in a HEMI.

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So to everyone for hijacking the thread...

What would happen if I take my truck in to the dealer for a engine problem and they ask what oil I've been using? Is there any harm by telling them its a non Chrysler approved oil? As long as its the proper weight i should be fine right?Could they void the warranty work by blaming it on me not using the proper approved oil?
And am I correct by saying that Mobil 1 synthetic doesn't have the Chrysler certificate of approval?

When they fixed mine the type of oil I use never came up and I always just went to the auto parts store and got what was on sale, I did use a Mopar filter though. They checked some external things then said it was internal it took them about a week. I did some research after that on oils and settled on Amsoil. Its about $100 an oil change doing it myself but I only change it 2 times a year and I'm still well under Amsoil recommended interval.

J3FF3RSON

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Figured id check in with you guys on an issue I had today. Hopefully I'm just over thinking things. Its been pretty cold here in pa recently, low teens. Well this afternoon when I started my truck I had a ticking on the driver side that I could hear when i went to walk back to the house. I know what the usual hemi tick sounds like on startup because I have that occasionally. But this just seems to be a hair louder, or a harder tick I guess you can say. My mind jumped to possibly my new longtubes having a leak, and I went on my way. Well, when I returned home the tick still was there, perhaps a bit less. When I crawled under the truck I can deffinatly hear the tick in the driver header. I checked my bolts and all seem tight the best they can be without pulling my inner fender. With no sign of black from an exhaust leak at the flange.

I hear these horror stories of lifter failures occasionally on the 5.7s and i scare myself. How loud would that be if it is that case? The truck only just hit 17k last night, i really hope something isn't wrong internally. Any other possible ideas that might calm my nerves? haha

Was this tick coming from the engine bay or under the truck? I had an issue with a ticking noise around the fuel tank after it was replaced. I took it to the dealer, and within 30 minutes they pulled the truck around and told me it was ready to go. Turns out, the truck needed an ECU Update that was causing some part of the EVAP controller to malfunction. They told me several trucks have had the issue.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hijacking the thread, lol. Go back and look at the OP's question. And I can answer your other question but I don't respond to that garbage.

J3FF3RSON

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hijacking the thread, lol. Go back and look at the OP's question. And I can answer your other question but I don't respond to that garbage.

I was getting a bit ahead of myself and misread the "inside header part". My mistake :)

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I wasn't talking to you brother. But the OP has repost that the tick in from the top end. Likely culprit, lifters, but who knows for sure. He also asked for answers to sooth his mind.

OP
OP
Freed127

Freed127

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Burla, any specific oil attitive you recommend? I dont have much mileage on this oil change yet and its something id like to try. I figure it cant hurt. I dont really drive the truck too much and hate to drop relatively new oil.