Octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trooper2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I have been putting 89 as recommended in the truck. The wife is ******** because it's $.30 more a gallon. So I would never put cheap off brand gas in the truck but if I go to 87 from say Shell, Mobil, Exxon would there really be any noticeable performance issues? Long term detrimental effects. I know the engine will retard the timing, but I'm more interested in knowing possible long term issues performance issues. My goal for this truck is 200,000mi. I'm at 2500...so I have awhile to go.

I've looked for this info elsewhere and apologize if I'm reposting repetitive info.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use 87 and it's been fine. If you hear any knocking, switch back to 89.

Heck, even the manual says 87 is fine.

donowen33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I have been putting 89 as recommended in the truck. The wife is ******** because it's $.30 more a gallon. So I would never put cheap off brand gas in the truck but if I go to 87 from say Shell, Mobil, Exxon would there really be any noticeable performance issues? Long term detrimental effects. I know the engine will retard the timing, but I'm more interested in knowing possible long term issues performance issues. My goal for this truck is 200,000mi. I'm at 2500...so I have awhile to go.

I've looked for this info elsewhere and apologize if I'm reposting repetitive info.
It's a truck, not a Ferrari. Relax.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've used 87 since day one and have not had any issues. On a few road trips have had to use 89 because that was what was available and noticed no difference in performance. Plus as you already know it is a hell of a lot cheaper.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If + or - 5 bucks every fill up gets you in trouble how did you ever get permission to buy a new truck that costs 40,000.00 ? As stated, run the cheap stuff and if you can't tell the difference there ain't none.

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used to deal with a bulk fuel distributor and he explained that ALL the gas comes from one tank. The manufacturers do add their own elixirs, but the basic gasoline is the same. And I too use 87 octane. Todays vehicles are deigned to adjust timing and spark to the fuel being fed them, not like the "old days" where point condensers and rotors were the order of business and times was almost all mechanical.

Be cheap, save the 30 cents, and enjoy the ride!

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I run 89 in mine ad I run it hard most times, if I was to baby it running 87 would not bother me, just might have less power with the computer pulling timing away from the motor.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
For the extra $10 a tank I use the 89. It’s not for performance. It’s what the manual says so that’s what I use. I spend more than that In a couple days for coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I run 89 in mine ad I run it hard most times, if I was to baby it running 87 would not bother me, just might have less power with the computer pulling timing away from the motor.

87 vs 89 seems to always bring out strong opinions from both camps. if you baby it or run it hard it really doesn't make a difference, exception would be if you are using a tune of course.

If there is a 1/16th of a second in 0 to 60 between the two does it really matter? :favorites13:

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used to deal with a bulk fuel distributor and he explained that ALL the gas comes from one tank.

The manufacturers do add their own elixirs, but the basic gasoline is the same!

Bam. Hit the nail on the head.

My wife use to run a travel center/truck stop and she dealt with bulk fuel deliveries every other day. Found out the ugly truth long ago.

Glad someone said it...I know some guys live by the theory of "special gas blends work better" ...just glad this guy said it first lol

Last edited:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
87 vs 89 seems to always bring out strong opinions from both camps. if you baby it or run it hard it really doesn't make a difference, exception would be if you are using a tune of course.

If there is a 1/16th of a second in 0 to 60 between the two does it really matter? :favorites13:

I really dont care if its faster or not as its a truck and its not fast anyway, I care about having it running correct not pinging and hoping this is one of many things I am doing to help this truck last for many years.
Feel like if your working it hard the higher octane is better for the motor since thats what is called for. I am the same way with the oil and filter and will spend that little bit more to try to extend the life of the truck.
Next spring my diffs and transfer case will all get changed out to better fluids as well. Here in the next month the complete underside of the truck will be fluid filmed with the hopes of making this truck last as long as I can.
:favorites13:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I've been running 87 and 1/2 a bottle Redline S1 in every tank, I don't really know how this is helping or hurting my truck. Someday I will pull the plugs and scope it. Drives fine.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I will add, I feel like my motor runs smoother on 89 and it seems to get better mileage as well atleast pulling a trailer it does.
I went through many tanks of fuel going out to the east coast pulling a empty trailer out and loaded heavy on the way back. I did put in a acouple tanks of 87 on the way out figured since I was just burning through them at hwy speeds why spend the extra, well those tanks yeilded the lowest mpg so I went back to the 89 .

EVc96bKA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I typically add 93. Yes it's expensive as hell but I honest to God notice a difference in pickup and mpg. I never used to believe the hype until I started having tank problems and switched to premium gas and noticed it does make some improvements.

However, I switch back to 87 when the price gets crazy high or gas shortages occur (just got done with a hurricane down here in Florida). I notice some performance loss but nothing that I couldn't live with. Outside of the original tank problems I had the lower grade fuels don't seem to cause any actual problems. I do not notice a difference between 87 and 89. Seems the same to me.

So in my opinion, if you're getting nagged about using 89 don't even jump to 93. Go to 87 and you'll never notice a difference. And I agree it doesn't do anything to your vehicle.

Rampaige

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've tried both 87 & 89, I honestly could not tell a difference between the two, MPG or performance. I also never tow anything heavy. So I stick with 87.

Rampaige

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've tried both 87 & 89, I honestly could not tell a difference between the two, MPG or performance. I also never tow anything heavy. So I stick with 87.

I forgot to add that I do use Top Tier 87 all the time if at all possible though.

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I typically add 93. Yes it's expensive as hell but I honest to God notice a difference in pickup and mpg. I never used to believe the hype until I started having tank problems and switched to premium gas and noticed it does make some improvements.

However, I switch back to 87 when the price gets crazy high or gas shortages occur (just got done with a hurricane down here in Florida). I notice some performance loss but nothing that I couldn't live with. Outside of the original tank problems I had the lower grade fuels don't seem to cause any actual problems. I do not notice a difference between 87 and 89. Seems the same to me.

So in my opinion, if you're getting nagged about using 89 don't even jump to 93. Go to 87 and you'll never notice a difference. And I agree it doesn't do anything to your vehicle.

The ONLY way that is possible is if the 93 is ethanol free and the 87 has ethanol, otherwise its all in your head. If you don't believe me, do some reading about "octane" ratings and what they actually mean. I know it goes against what most people believe, but gas companies have done a great job of advertising :p

87=93 in terms of mileage and power unless your engine is tuned for the higher rating.

WEPowell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok. So this is one of those things my dad never taught me. Well. Outside of "filler up son". Thing is we're car/truck fanatics but more show than go. I say all that to ask... other than understanding that Walmart probably doesn't have the best gas. What companies are considered the ones with the good gas?