Octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok. So this is one of those things my dad never taught me. Well. Outside of "filler up son". Thing is we're car/truck fanatics but more show than go. I say all that to ask... other than understanding that Walmart probably doesn't have the best gas. What companies are considered the ones with the good gas?

Stick with the name brands, Shell, Conoco, Exxon, etc.. The stuff Walmarts and the like usually sell is what I refer to as grocery store gas. As already stated above, all gas is the same. It all ends up in the same holding tanks. It's the additives each brand adds when they fill the tankers that makes the difference. The name brands have lots of R&D in producing their best, the grocery store gas gets generic additives of unknown origin and quality.

In regards to octane, high compression engines need a certain level of octane to prevent detonation, aka knock, etc.. Detonation is destructive to an engine. Always go with the minimum octane level the vehicle manufacturer says to use. That's for normal use. If you race, you'll likely have a custom tune with the timing advanced. That's where you'll see the advantage of higher octane. It prevents detonation, allowing more timing, which equals more power. But if your vehicle isn't tuned for it, the extra octane really won't help. In fact too much octane can degrade performance due to the slower burn rate. OTOH, too low octane can produce knock, and the computer will respond by pulling timing, to prevent damage, which will indeed degrade performance.

wink

1quick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Curious how you guys in New Mexico, Utah, or Colorado like myself handle this?

We have 85, 87, and I believe 89-91 here. Basically because of the elevation 85 runs like 87 at sea level. So I have been using 87 ($.30 more like others using 89) so it is almost $8 extra a tank.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Curious how you guys in New Mexico, Utah, or Colorado like myself handle this?

We have 85, 87, and I believe 89-91 here. Basically because of the elevation 85 runs like 87 at sea level. So I have been using 87 ($.30 more like others using 89) so it is almost $8 extra a tank.

I'm also in Colorado. Not sure what you mean about "85 runs like 87 at sea level". Maybe the other way around. We're down around 18% of the power the same engine will make at sea level. No matter what you do to it. It would be nice if we could still get 93 at the pump though. For normal daily driver duties, the minimum octane the manufacturer specifies is good enough.

If you race your vehicle that changes things. Even 91 isn't good enough. I've run Conoco 91 + Lucas Octane Boost for the past several years. Year round. Slightly outperforms the Sunoco 104 they sell at the track, and is a lot cheaper. But I've since moved on to a Snow water/**** kit. No performance gain, just needed it for the octane at this point.

wink

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Actually WAWA is pretty good, but remember my opinion is from someone that can't be trusted to pump their own gas !!!!! :roflsquared:
Hell I wish we didn't have to pump our own here in Pa. Just my preference not to use WAWA. I would get knocking when running my 93 tune on there gas.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

joneseysr6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I used to deal with a bulk fuel distributor and he explained that ALL the gas comes from one tank. The manufacturers do add their own elixirs, but the basic gasoline is the same. And I too use 87 octane. Todays vehicles are deigned to adjust timing and spark to the fuel being fed them, not like the "old days" where point condensers and rotors were the order of business and times was almost all mechanical.

Be cheap, save the 30 cents, and enjoy the ride!

1) hes a lying sack of **** or doest know what hes talking about. I have a personal friend who delivers fuel and they do in fact have different grades at his filling station ( 87 and 93 ). To get 89 or 91, its blended at the pump when we fill our vehicles.

or

2) where ever this was happening, was completely illegal and they were scamming the public and needs to be reported to the consumer protection bureau.

Many vehicles ( usually performance cars ) are tuned for specific octanes, and if a person owned a high end car ( lets say a $200k ferrari ) that required 93 octane, but was being scammed by putting 87 in and paying the higher price for the 93......he'd have one hell of a law suit to bring forth if he could prove any engine issues related to being defrauded by the necessary octane he needed to purchase. These octane ratings are federally regulated.

as for what octane is really for, i suggest a quick google search OP. Its quite interesting, but there isn't a whole lot to it, but it does matter. This truck ( with a hemi) can get away with either 87 or 89. Some things will make it more or less needed. One of which is you altitude above sea level and whether or not you tow or run the motor hard. Closer you are to sea level, the more you need the correct octane. The higher you are above sea level, the great chances you have to use a lower octane ( see 85 octane in high mountain areas ). Add towing into the equations and you need your specific octane even more so. i'm not saying the newer vehicles dont advance or retard timing to adjust, but the fact is, you lose power and performance IF the computer had to compensate for detonation detection, which is what happens when you use the incorrect octane for what your motor is tuned for ( out of the factory or a custom tune ). Point is, 89 is whats recommended, based on peoples specific situations, you can go one direction or the other, but you should know the differnece as to what and why its reccomended and base your purchasing decisions based on your situation.

Last edited:

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
^^ truth

My old C55 AMG would knock like a **** if I ran anything under 91 in it. With the tune it had it really ran best on Sunoco Ultra 94.

5.7cmax

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Manuel says 89 recommend 87 ok I switched between both saw no difference in performance or mpg and I drive my truck like I stole it that's the reason I bought a hemi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
1) hes a lying sack of **** or doest know what hes talking about. I have a personal friend who delivers fuel and they do in fact have different grades at his filling station ( 87 and 93 ). To get 89 or 91, its blended at the pump when we fill our vehicles.

or

2) where ever this was happening, was completely illegal and they were scamming the public and needs to be reported to the consumer protection bureau.

Many vehicles ( usually performance cars ) are tuned for specific octanes, and if a person owned a high end car ( lets say a $200k ferrari ) that required 93 octane, but was being scammed by putting 87 in and paying the higher price for the 93......he'd have one hell of a law suit to bring forth if he could prove any engine issues related to being defrauded by the necessary octane he needed to purchase. These octane ratings are federally regulated.

as for what octane is really for, i suggest a quick google search OP. Its quite interesting, but there isn't a whole lot to it, but it does matter. This truck ( with a hemi) can get away with either 87 or 89. Some things will make it more or less needed. One of which is you altitude above sea level and whether or not you tow or run the motor hard. Closer you are to sea level, the more you need the correct octane. The higher you are above sea level, the great chances you have to use a lower octane ( see 85 octane in high mountain areas ). Add towing into the equations and you need your specific octane even more so. i'm not saying the newer vehicles dont advance or retard timing to adjust, but the fact is, you lose power and performance IF the computer had to compensate for detonation detection, which is what happens when you use the incorrect octane for what your motor is tuned for ( out of the factory or a custom tune ). Point is, 89 is whats recommended, based on peoples specific situations, you can go one direction or the other, but you should know the differnece as to what and why its reccomended and base your purchasing decisions based on your situation.

A little harsh ? Lol.

I just do what the manual says. With the exception of oil. I’ll be switching to synthetic due to variations in weather here and -35 temps in winter. Summer can get warm and last 4 days we’ve been sitting around 100-105 F. Anyways, just put 89 like the manual said

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For the extra $10 a tank I use the 89. It’s not for performance. It’s what the manual says so that’s what I use. I spend more than that In a couple days for coffee.

My manual for my 2017 specifically states 87-89 octane. It is within the design parameters of the engine to run 87 and will not hurt anything.

Any difference in power between 87 and 89 octane gas would not be noticeable. Anyone that thinks they can feel a 5-15 hp difference is only fooling themselves. I'm not sure what the actual, dyno tested difference is between 87 and 89 octane on stock tune, but I'd bet it's no more than 5.

I can't speak to the difference in mileage, but I would imagine it would be negligible as well. I would think anyone quoting more than 0.5mpg difference would be attributed to driving conditions rather than octane rating.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
My manual for my 2017 specifically states 87-89 octane. It is within the design parameters of the engine to run 87 and will not hurt anything.

Any difference in power between 87 and 89 octane gas would not be noticeable. Anyone that thinks they can feel a 5-15 hp difference is only fooling themselves. I'm not sure what the actual, dyno tested difference is between 87 and 89 octane on stock tune, but I'd bet it's no more than 5.

I can't speak to the difference in mileage, but I would imagine it would be negligible as well. I would think anyone quoting more than 0.5mpg difference would be attributed to driving conditions rather than octane rating.

I am not really doing it for performance ;). I just have OCD and this makes me feel better ha ha ha. For the little extra it costs me I don’t mind at all. For the first time in my life I’m in this truck for the long haul and any little thing I can do to preserve it I will do.

The difference between some people and me is I know I’m just fooling myself ;)

I always use top tier and since owning my vehicle it’s only ever seen Esso gas which I think is Exxon in the U.S ?

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am not really doing it for performance ;). I just have OCD and this makes me feel better ha ha ha. For the little extra it costs me I don’t mind at all. For the first time in my life I’m in this truck for the long haul and any little thing I can do to preserve it I will do.

The difference between some people and me is I know I’m just fooling myself ;)

I always use top tier and since owning my vehicle it’s only ever seen Esso gas which I think is Exxon in the U.S ?

Yeah, Esso is Exxon here, or at least was at some point (not sure if they're still one in the same).

I work for Shell and almost refuse to buy their gas (unless I'm in dire need and they're the only station around). I buy Sunoco for $.30-$.40 cheaper per gallon for the same octane. Even Exxon Chevron and Valero are $.05-$.10 cheaper than Shell.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Yeah, Esso is Exxon here, or at least was at some point (not sure if they're still one in the same).

I work for Shell and almost refuse to buy their gas (unless I'm in dire need and they're the only station around). I buy Sunoco for $.30-$.40 cheaper per gallon for the same octane. Even Exxon Chevron and Valero are $.05-$.10 cheaper than Shell.

Sunoco here in Canada was either bought out or rebranded under the Petro Canada. They’re the only
Ones to sell 94

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Could be placebo but I can tell when I get 87 vs 89. 87 makes it feel tired or like there is a drag. I could have an issue since I once took in for service and didn’t deprogram. They then did an update which I wasn’t expecting and I then had to work with Hypertech to fix. Maybe it never quite got back to factory I don’t know. I just know mine seems to almost hesitate with 87.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45