Off to the dealer.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcarbaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The last time I was in for an oil change I asked them to check out a noise my truck has been making. At first I thought it was a manifold bolt but was told it was not the problem. The sound is almost a ticking sound at idle. When you put the truck in gear you can really hear it. It's time for another oil change and I know that there is a manifold bolt on the passenger side that needs replaced. Totally different sound than the original problem. I am going to try and add a video if possible. Truck is a 2012 5.7 58000 miles.

https://youtu.be/xn_ZGlM6KSk

The original noise is normal from what the dealer said.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Are you sure it's not the regular hemi tick?

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need to put in some 5w30 Redline or PUP the hemi tick just disappears.

OP
OP
rcarbaugh

rcarbaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well just got my truck back. My service advisor says that it sounds like a lifter. He called the service manager over and he said that it's normal. Said that even the new trucks do it. Got keys to a new truck and the service advisor and I didn't hear it. Asked the service manager why did the noise just start a few thousand miles ago. He had no answer. So aggravated with the dealership.

Does your guys truck make the noise that's in the video?

OP
OP
rcarbaugh

rcarbaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Do the "hemi" tick go away once the truck gets warmed up?

OP
OP
rcarbaugh

rcarbaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I know the exhaust tick will go away as soon as the parts come in. Hoping they will be in by the end of the week. Dealer said it will take about 4 hours to replace the gasket and replace all the bolts.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Every Hemi powered Ram I've encountered makes this noise at cold start. I heard a 300C make this noise the other day. I brought mine into the dealer for that exact noise and they brought me over to a brand new (at the time) 2015 Ram 1500 Hemi 8 Speed with 7 miles on it and it made the same noise. My buddy bought a new 2016 Laramie in late 2015 and his makes the same noise.

Another video of the same noise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o8QRywgKYc

My truck making the same noise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke2UekbU_jA

Another thread about this noise:

http://www.ramforum.com/f44/engine_noise-102220/

I had my mechanic, whom I trust, listen to it on a cold start with a stethoscope. I watched him put it all over the block while someone else put the truck in drive and reverse, and he said everything internally sounds fine. No rod knock, no wrist pin knock, no lifter noise, etc. I've just learned to ignore it. It does go away after the truck warms up.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The hemi is noisy engine. Fun to drive though.

Ram Night

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 07 Ram did not have the tick, The 13 Challenger has it, But the 16 Rebel does not have the tick. It is a crap shoot if you will have it or not.

dork17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Every Hemi powered Ram I've encountered makes this noise at cold start. I heard a 300C make this noise the other day. I brought mine into the dealer for that exact noise and they brought me over to a brand new (at the time) 2015 Ram 1500 Hemi 8 Speed with 7 miles on it and it made the same noise. My buddy bought a new 2016 Laramie in late 2015 and his makes the same noise.

Another video of the same noise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o8QRywgKYc

My truck making the same noise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke2UekbU_jA

Another thread about this noise:

http://www.ramforum.com/f44/engine_noise-102220/

I had my mechanic, whom I trust, listen to it on a cold start with a stethoscope. I watched him put it all over the block while someone else put the truck in drive and reverse, and he said everything internally sounds fine. No rod knock, no wrist pin knock, no lifter noise, etc. I've just learned to ignore it. It does go away after the truck warms up.
Hey, do you still have the truck? Mine's making this exact same noise. I've got a few months of warranty left and wondering how serious this is, if at all. Did this "knock" evolve into anything worse for your truck?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey, do you still have the truck? Mine's making this exact same noise. I've got a few months of warranty left and wondering how serious this is, if at all. Did this "knock" evolve into anything worse for your truck?
Yes I do, I plan to drive it until it falls apart. It does still makes the noise to this day on cold starts. The truck has 95600 miles on it now and runs perfect.

I believe it's piston slap. I've run many oil analysis on my truck and nothing has shown its doing any damage. I would expect to see a spike in aluminum and iron if it was actually doing damage, and those 2 metals have been low.

This was a problem on the GM LS motors in the early 2000s and there are many out there with 300k on them with piston slap still going strong.

However if you have some warranty left bring it to the dealer. Probably the best they're going to tell you is it's normal but at least it will be documented.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes I do, I plan to drive it until it falls apart. It does still makes the noise to this day on cold starts. The truck has 95600 miles on it now and runs perfect.

I believe it's piston slap. I've run many oil analysis on my truck and nothing has shown its doing any damage. I would expect to see a spike in aluminum and iron if it was actually doing damage, and those 2 metals have been low.

This was a problem on the GM LS motors in the early 2000s and there are many out there with 300k on them with piston slap still going strong.

However if you have some warranty left bring it to the dealer. Probably the best they're going to tell you is it's normal but at least it will be documented.
My dad has a 02 4.8 that has had the piston slap for years. Its probably pushing 400k by now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01