"OH NO" Dealer fry my computer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I had my jba's headers install yesterday I went to pick it up and shortly after that my engine light came on. So to make a long story short I took it to the dealer the guy the install my headers didn't put back my wire, so the dealer find it and put it back.

So after he put it back he wanted to clear the check engine light and re flash my computer and in the process he fry it. The lady came and told me what he did and that the truck want move with out it. :mad: I was not a happy camper so when she told me that they have to order one and it will be in tomorrow morning, not good.

Hopefully some good will come out of it but I will see, she also told me that the jba's headers that was install voided my warranty. I didn't know that for what I was told that it don't void it but it do.

So hopefully I will go and pick it tomorrow and everything will be okay.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Sorry to hear this. Hopefully they will get you taken care of. Any aftermarket mod can void parts of your warranty. If the dealership can prove that the part you installed is what caused the problem, then they have the right to refuse to warranty the work. You have to be careful though because some dealerships will look for any excuse to void it, even if the part didnt cause the failure in the first place.

Picton

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 - 1500 Express CC 4x2
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It sounds like he had the dealer install the headers...unless they say it will void any warranty before install...they should warranty the work...even though the "work" was installing an aftermarket part.......I thought. Definitely no way in hell they can tie the computer frying to your headers...they should replace it no charge.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Putting headers on should not damage the PCM unless they screwed up.

I assume you had no programmer loaded on the truck when they went to flash it?

And am I right to assume the dealer did the install?

They cannot blanket void your warranty for mods unless the mod caused the failure of an OEM part. I doubt they can prove the header install damaged the PCM.

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Technically they could void it by saying that the headers caused them to reflash the computer which lead to the computer being fried

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
I had another shop install the headers so when I have gotten the check engine light on they install the wire back when the shop took it out. They said that I had to pay for them to find it and putting it back and I said okay.

In the process of them taking the code out and clearing the computer they flash it and that's when they mess up but they going to eat that one those. I just hope that nothing else come up in the process on them fixing the problem.

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Well, I went to pick up my truck today and they told me that whoever did my alarm tap into my communication wire instead of a 12 volt wire and that is what fried my computer when they try to flash it. I went back to the shop that did it so they can do it right.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
hmmmm....interesting.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
So did you have to pay for the new computer or did they cover it for you?

Sucks that some dealers will look for any excuse to get out of doing work because of a mod. I fortunately have one that has been great to me, and has never given me trouble about anything I've done to my truck. But the way I understand it, they have to prove that the mod caused the problem, which it sounds like it could have been related to your aftermarket alarm.

OP
OP
Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
So did you have to pay for the new computer or did they cover it for you?

Sucks that some dealers will look for any excuse to get out of doing work because of a mod. I fortunately have one that has been great to me, and has never given me trouble about anything I've done to my truck. But the way I understand it, they have to prove that the mod caused the problem, which it sounds like it could have been related to your aftermarket alarm.

No I didn't have to pay they did but I have an appointment with the people that install my alarm. At first they didn't want to do nothing about it but I told them that the Dodge dealership told me and the dealer have a contract with they to do all of there spray bed liners. I don't far see on anything going wrong that I will need warranty with the headers install other than leaking but I will just take it back to the installer.

I love the jba's headers that the shop install this is one of my better mod I think, hmmm what's next on my list.:)

Last edited: