Oil burner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck sat in the driveway for 3 days, and when I turned it on today, big cloud of blueish smoke came out, and it smelt like seafoam... it wasn't the condensation that comes out, it was blueish smoke. I'm not to worried, except if it's warrentable, I'd like it fixed. I'm assuming it's the piston rings?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
How many miles? Can't this be coming through PCV as well? Do you have a catch can? Blue smoke it's oil, likely coming from one or two places. By chance did you check your air cleaner for oil?

Pull the Plugs if you feel like it, you will see where the problem is for sure.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Just googled this in two seconds because I was curious.

If Blue Smoke appears all the time your engine is running then the first thing to check is the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) Valve. If pressure builds up in the Oil Pan, the PCV Valve allows this pressure to release. The pressure is released into the Intake Manifold where the Engine gets its air for working. The Intake Manifold is also connected to your engine Air Filter. If the PCV Valve gets stuck open then it will keep mixing the air with oil and other gases from inside the engine. The oil gets mixed with the Gasoline and Air and gets burnt creating the Blue Smoke.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
During cold weather, any soot or oil on the PCV valve will make it stick until it warms up enough.

It's a good sign that 1) it's been cold, 2) the truck has not been run for awhile, and, 3) the PCV valve is getting gunked up (normal) and it should be replaced.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Replace the PCV maybe that will do it, worth a shot. Then Run Redline S1 or another PEA cleaner every tank for a couple months. So rare to be rings in a truck 3 years old, but also not unheard of with ethanol in our gas. Maybe it's top end and you'll be good.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles? Can't this be coming through PCV as well? Do you have a catch can? Blue smoke it's oil, likely coming from one or two places. By chance did you check your air cleaner for oil?

Pull the Plugs if you feel like it, you will see where the problem is for sure.
Just hit 70k, don't have a catch can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Would pcv be warrentable? How can I check if it's bad?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That is like no help, lol. Could be either IMO, not so few miles unheard of but it would be rare to have major issues unless you neglected it. if you didn't feel like pulling the plugs and changing them, you probably need to clean them. Maybe run a sea foam through there and/or long perm pea. But get that PCV changed, if that it you are running a lot of oil through there. Check your oil level as well. GL

Just change it, PCV I think they only last 30k, no way it is a warranty item.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That is like no help, lol. Could be either IMO, not so few miles unheard of but it would be rare to have major issues unless you neglected it. if you didn't feel like pulling the plugs and changing them, you probably need to clean them. Maybe run a sea foam through there and/or long perm pea. But get that PCV changed, if that it you are running a lot of oil through there. Check your oil level as well. GL

Just change it, PCV I think they only last 30k, no way it is a warranty item.
Oh haha, pcv never been changed on this truck, did a plug job about 10k ago, I'll pull one out this weekend. Oil level is lower part of the hashed marks after 4.7k oil change is coming up

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I guess you haven't been reading my threads, I've been saying change out those PCV's like every other thread for 5 years. IMO the one single item that is responsible for killing most engines. Hopefully that is all it is.

You know you can just pull it and clean it, I think Syn does that, at least uses that as a back up. Probably the easiest thing to do just as a diagnostic. Clean it and see if it stops the smoke.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess you haven't been reading my threads, I've been saying change out those PCV's like every other thread for 5 years. IMO the one single item that is responsible for killing most engines. Hopefully that is all it is.

You know you can just pull it and clean it, I think Syn does that, at least uses that as a back up. Probably the easiest thing to do just as a diagnostic. Clean it and see if it stops the smoke.
Haha no, why does it do that? My last pcv valve was covered in **** on my 04 4.7, cleaned it out every oil change but always had froth on it

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
When they get clogged, engine pressure rises and has zero choice but to go through a gasket somewhere. If your lucky, it will be a valve cover, but there are gaskets that can blow and I don't need to explain that. PCV is the most over looked maintenance item and always has been. And often when a gasket blows your oil doesn't flow as it should, sludge builds. More in some engines then others, but it can reak havoc and worst part is you never know.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Funny 2 minute google again, the guy says the same thing as I've been saying in the same words, lol. Anyhow, with proof.

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When they get clogged, engine pressure rises and has zero choice but to go through a gasket somewhere. If your lucky, it will be a valve cover, but there are gaskets that can blow and I don't need to explain that. PCV is the most over looked maintenance item and always has been. And often when a gasket blows your oil doesn't flow as it should, sludge builds. More in some engines then others, but it can reak havoc and worst part is you never know.
My vw is bad, and the valve cover gasket is blown in the rear, gotta get that fixed sometime soon, been bad for a year or so

OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How do i remove the pcv, just pull up, don't wanna break anything

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Always go counterclockwise and you wont ever have an issue. Look and see if there are threads on the new one.

Run a wire through there, let us know if it's clogged.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PCT

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Always go counterclockwise and you wont ever have an issue. Look and see if there are threads on the new one.

Run a wire through there, let us know if it's clogged.
Sorry been awhile, life got in the way, haven't cleaned it ou5, but just a quick question, can this being clogged effect acceleration performance? Truck has just been sluggish lately.