Oil Catch Can Dump photos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Are you being sarcastic about your driving style Sir ? With a forum name like Hemi450hp and all

Not sure where I read it , but " I think" I've read the less agresive you drive the more venting you get to a catch can?

Seems backwards to me ...

I do know this , I definitely drive like a grandma and mostly short trips of under 20 miles per drive with an oil temp of under 190°

I seem to vent a lot to my occ but my oil level doesn't go down on the stick ?

I'm thinking a contributing factor may be normal condensation buildup due to my driving style and short trips not getting the oil hot enough to boil off the condensation that builds up every time you drive and heat the engine then it cools after shutdown with everyday driving .
I'm pretty sure it's not the 30wt oil in running , I was running 20wt oil before and vented about the same .

High vacuum scenarios are where you will build the most fluid in a catch can in N/A engines. The PCV is closed at idle but off-idle and low RPM driving where you are generating high intake manifold vacuum but not enough to keep the PCV closed is where it will develop the most build up. Cold engines with poor ring seal and high condensation levels will also increase the rate of build up. High RPM driving will also generate a lot of fluid through windage and blow-by however vacuum is lower, this is less of an issue on N/A engines but becomes a much larger issue with boosted engines.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@ charonblk07 thanks for the explication Sir , that does make sense .

JaredRAM2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
3k miles with the CC, had it since I had around 200 miles.

This may be around 3 dumps total?

IMG_4205_zpsbz2pfbax.jpg

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ha , I'm collecting mine in a bottle also , I think I may send it out to Blackstone labs for an analysis, just to see the fuel and water contamination levels ...

JaredRAM2015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Ha , I'm collecting mine in a bottle also , I think I may send it out to Blackstone labs for an analysis, just to see the fuel and water contamination levels ...

Yeah... I just wanted to track it for a bit, I try to empty it regularly while performing a few preventative checks.

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why the hell did Chrysler design the motor to have these harmful vapors back into the engine?

And if this is what happens does not everyone have one of these?

I bought a 2012 with 65k miles as second owner. Truck is ridiculously clean and well maintained but did have some dried lack dust on inside of TB when I installed K&N CAI. I hope its not too late...Here I come again Moe's :/ My wife is gonna kill me :)

Last edited:

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Why the hell did Chrysler design the motor to have these harmful vapors back into the engine?

And if this is what happens does not everyone have one of these?

AMEN. This is why I recommend a catch can to everyone. Your motor is not going to grenade itself because you didnt put a catch can on, but after you see what it collects, and what would otherwise get dumped into your intake, I dont see why anyone would choose not to run 1. You wont catch me driving a newer Hemi vehicle without one.

jlpowell84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
The difference in many of the cheap cans is that they are not Ram specific, so you have to make your own mounting brackets, and the build quality is lacking when compared to the better built units. Ive seen many that use plastic fittings that crack over time, hoses that collapse, rough cuts in the metal with shavings in the can, no mesh insert, etc...

JTS_1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Where would you dump the excessive oil from the catch can??

Makin-Chips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 Lonestar Hemi 5.7 CC 4X4

I dump mine in the used oil containers for after oil change. Then Autozone empties my containers. I make sure to ask for the containers back.

:roflsquared:

Oh, and Welcome to the forum!

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm collecting mine in an old Gatorade bottle , just to see how much I get over time .
Welcome to the forum Sir !

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Between my 4 Hemi vehicles, and my dad's 2014 that I maintain for him, we have gone through quite a few Gatorade bottles full of oil now. Just dispose of it like you would your regular oil.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 4.7 and can't find any for the truck, can I run a universal one, if so what's the best brand? Also, do they effect smog?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 4.7 and can't find any for the truck, can I run a universal one, if so what's the best brand? Also, do they effect smog?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hmm , crickets. ......

Not familiar with the 4.7 , but
I'll say this , if your PCV is routed into the air intake or throttle body in any shape form or fashion you would Benifit by rigging up an occ .

Smog = it can only help with emissions because you would not be burning vented oil mist , condensation and unburnt fuel ... thus allowing you to more efficiently burn the fuel only like a combustion engine should be .

Which is the best , that could create a lot of discussion. .... imo Elite Engineering has a better head design , but Billet Tech seems to be very popular here .

Good luck Sir !

Reactions: PCT

J Rod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AMEN. This is why I recommend a catch can to everyone. Your motor is not going to grenade itself because you didnt put a catch can on, but after you see what it collects, and what would otherwise get dumped into your intake, I dont see why anyone would choose not to run 1. You wont catch me driving a newer Hemi vehicle without one.

^^^^This

I have to say, I was a bit skeptical myself when I plunked down $100+ for a shiny aluminum can a few months back but after seeing what I dumped out of mine last night (2/3rd full and a thick layer of sludge at the bottom after 4k miles)... I'm kicking myself for not buying it sooner!