Oil Catch Can Dump photos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwreuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Run that through a Blackstone test!

ckruzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can y’all recommend a good catch can? Don’t know if anyone new a good one that doesn’t break the wallet! Thanks

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can y’all recommend a good catch can? Don’t know if anyone new a good one that doesn’t break the wallet! Thanks
I'd say BT .. Billet Technologies OCC imo best price for a quality catch can .. not sure what breaking the wallet means to you Sir ?? That's different for everyone [emoji16]

You can get the BT OCC from Moe's , a vendor here with a Ram Forum discount.

Hope this helps !

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I will say this I dont know why a person would not put a catch can on their truck. !
I would not what this crap going back through my motor.
Sure cant be because of the cost as this $36 catch can works just fine as you can see.

20180225_132828.jpg

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dumped mine last night .
79d6943bdf936f2bf0eb89181a93c978.jpgd8fc593d89d55b54466426e7cdcdd37a.jpge8ff78cf1a84b7e5b68d16956024992c.jpg

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd say BT .. Billet Technologies OCC imo best price for a quality catch can .. not sure what breaking the wallet means to you Sir ?? That's different for everyone [emoji16]

You can get the BT OCC from Moe's , a vendor here with a Ram Forum discount.

Hope this helps !

$180 for a catch can is kinda pricey...I went a different route, ended up paying around $65 bucks when it was all said and done. for what a catch can does, there's really just a baseline quality standard that needs to be met. everything thereafter seems to just be for cosmetic advantage.

i-rhk6Ltq-X4.jpg

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys it could be worse. This is from my dads 17 Silverado 6.2L with only 526 miles on the catch can!

425115BE-CAE2-4DF6-A712-35D973BCF4AD.jpeg

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Dang thats about full !

That will suck if he has to empty it every 600 miles.. lol

What weight oil is he running in it ?

ckruzer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
$180 for a catch can is kinda pricey...I went a different route, ended up paying around $65 bucks when it was all said and done. for what a catch can does, there's really just a baseline quality standard that needs to be met. everything thereafter seems to just be for cosmetic advantage.

i-rhk6Ltq-X4.jpg

What did you go with?

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Can somebody provide a link to more info about this along with installation? I have a 2017 5.7 Limited, first time seeing this but I don’t want to have to try to read through 60 pages to find out specifics. Sorry for my ignorance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can somebody provide a link to more info about this along with installation? I have a 2017 5.7 Limited, first time seeing this but I don’t want to have to try to read through 60 pages to find out specifics. Sorry for my ignorance.

Google oilcatchcan.com , there's a good article there on what the benefits are for having an OCC.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does it actually have a baffle system or is it just a hollow can...?

It's baffled inside. Pretty solid product. I'll pull it apart later and drop some photos in here. The baffle is "split", where one drops a little lower than the other. kind of a neat design, I'm sure they ripped it off from someone else. It comes apart, so I could fairly easily put some steel wool in it to provide additional surface for the vapor.

They are sort of daunting if you aren't incredibly mechanically inclined, but it's really a simple install. I had mine on in about 15 minutes, took longer to take off my intake and engine cover than it did to install the catch can.

Basically installs in place of the pcv line and the intake manifold, to catch the oil blow by from the PCV. Its main purpose is to keep oil out of the intake manifold.

yortnodnarb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will say this I dont know why a person would not put a catch can on their truck. !
I would not what this crap going back through my motor.
Sure cant be because of the cost as this $36 catch can works just fine as you can see.

View attachment 121448

Thanks to you I ordered the same one yesterday. Can't hardly beat that price if you tried.

IMRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It's baffled inside. Pretty solid product. I'll pull it apart later and drop some photos in here. The baffle is "split", where one drops a little lower than the other. kind of a neat design, I'm sure they ripped it off from someone else. It comes apart, so I could fairly easily put some steel wool in it to provide additional surface for the vapor.

They are sort of daunting if you aren't incredibly mechanically inclined, but it's really a simple install. I had mine on in about 15 minutes, took longer to take off my intake and engine cover than it did to install the catch can.

Basically installs in place of the pcv line and the intake manifold, to catch the oil blow by from the PCV. Its main purpose is to keep oil out of the intake manifold.

I watched a YouTube video, it looks pretty simple to me. Can you send me a link to what you bought? Also why can’t a guy just cut the existing hose and plumb it in? If not, what size hose and how long were they that you purchased?
Thx

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I watched a YouTube video, it looks pretty simple to me. Can you send me a link to what you bought? Also why can’t a guy just cut the existing hose and plumb it in? If not, what size hose and how long were they that you purchased?
Thx

here's what I ordered: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Catch-Can-Z-Mount-for-2009-2016-Dodge-Ram-5-7L-HEMI-d66/183077055807

you can see the baffle in the photos. the hose is trash, they literally sent me garden hose, so be prepared to run down to the parts house. I did 1/2" Goodyear heater hose, which a lot of other people run with good results. 2 foot gave me about 7 inches left over. The z bracket is really nice, I used the lower tapped hole on the block, and fastened my heater hoses down a little bit so they weren't in the way of the catch can when I remove it. This kit comes with a valve at the bottom so you can drain via a hose, but I have no intention of using that valve. I want to unscrew and inspect the oil each time, so it will eventually be replaced with a bolt.

The reason you can't use the existing hose is because it is a formed hard line. I suppose you could repurpose it in a way, but it's easy to just get some 1/2 inch couplers and install that way. The kit is sent with 1 1/2" to 1/2" hose coupler, I bought a second one with my hose. Spent around 8 bucks total for the hose and additional coupler.

You're welcome to PM me for any other questions you have with this specific kit.

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dang thats about full !

That will suck if he has to empty it every 600 miles.. lol

What weight oil is he running in it ?

Yea he isn’t very happy about how often he is going to have to check it.

We both would never guess it would collect that much and it is a strange color but has been very cold up in Mt.

He is running 0/20 full synthetic.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yeah mine has been that color, think its just because of the cold temps.

I just wonder if the thinner oil fills up the CC faster than a thicker oil ?