Oil Catch Can Dump photos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll post up what I get this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Awesome thanks. We havent heard anything like this yet so I will be sure to report it back to UPR to make sure they havent seen anything similar. Hopefully its just a fluke thing.

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I gotta say... that drain is the only thing I dont like the UPR catch can.

I loved that drain valve. For the first 6 months.

However. I went to drain my can the other day. Opened the valve, nada.. thought it was strange since it had been a couple thousand miles, opened up the can, and it was full. I guess the valve get clogged up.

Suppose I could soak it in some ethanol or something huh?

I've had my UPR for over 40,000 miles and never experienced anything close to a problem with the valve. Maybe something stuck in it from the beginning??

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
I've had my UPR for over 40,000 miles and never experienced anything close to a problem with the valve. Maybe something stuck in it from the beginning??
It worked fine to begin with. I'm guessing it just got crusted over with something. Will see this weekend. I've had mine on for right at 50k now

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It worked fine to begin with. I'm guessing it just got crusted over with something. Will see this weekend. I've had mine on for right at 50k now

Tuned in to see [emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l

Dang it... yall are kicking my ass. Lol.

Think the wifey is working a double tomorrow. So will try and soak it as soon as I get home from work.

Edit: I dont really have any solvents... think gas would do the trick? I mean. Just to see if anything can break loose

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Dang it... yall are kicking my ass. Lol.

Think the wifey is working a double tomorrow. So will try and soak it as soon as I get home from work.

Edit: I dont really have any solvents... think gas would do the trick? I mean. Just to see if anything can break loose

It won’t hurt to try

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

Got any Brake Clean? That $hit cleans anything.

-K

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
I know my post will not be about a 5.7 ram or any ram product but I wanted to share the basic importance of a catch can on any motor in today’s modern age.

This is a set of pics of the residue or contaminants that have been caught with my sons Moroso catch can that had been installed on his 5.3L!
This is a sample of all winter and through the month of May approximately about six months.

The oil was Pennzoil platinum high mileage 5W-30. Yesterday I chose to switch due to the direct injection design motor to Castrol Edge (BLK) HM 5W-30. The 5.3L has 168K miles on the OD & still performs ideally.I
Then switch to Castrol Edge Euro - 0W-40 GDI Turbo formula - Year Round

After these photos and close observation of what’s inside this 12 ounce jar there is nobody that can convince me that a CC is not a worthwhile investment on these direct injection motors.
Every owner should think long and hard about installing one if they have plans on keeping their Ram well beyond pay off!

38555335-FA64-47B1-8509-B76FBC9159AA.jpeg

87DFC04B-840A-4185-AD6F-6F3C5EB02688.jpeg

This sample does not have any gas odor or for that matter really any strong oil odor.
Strange thing was this sample has a lot of interstate and Highway driving for long periods of time and very little stop and go city driving on it.

This six-month sample has accumulated close to about 4 ounces I’m calculating.
This 6month OCI consisted of about 5800 miles.

My next psychotic thought as a very **** owner is how much of this crap is actually getting by the catch can and re-circulating back into the motor over and over.
He as well as I am honestly just glad it's performing well & catching what it is.
it does have a well designed baffle at the top - not just a complete hollow can.

Side note: TB was still decently clean - will do a simple CRC Throttle Body spray before winter.

Last edited:

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Question: Want to purchase and install a oil catch can for my 2016 Laramie 5.7 . But really don't want to get the wrong one. You can find ones made in china look really cheap and some are small looking also. Would like to do my homework on this. Like a baffled catch can is good for the job ,also a filtered one,or a brass stone filter one, or even a steel wool filtered one. what is a good brand and trusted

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
here's what I ordered: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Catch-Can-Z-Mount-for-2009-2016-Dodge-Ram-5-7L-HEMI-d66/183077055807

you can see the baffle in the photos. the hose is trash, they literally sent me garden hose, so be prepared to run down to the parts house. I did 1/2" Goodyear heater hose, which a lot of other people run with good results. 2 foot gave me about 7 inches left over. The z bracket is really nice, I used the lower tapped hole on the block, and fastened my heater hoses down a little bit so they weren't in the way of the catch can when I remove it. This kit comes with a valve at the bottom so you can drain via a hose, but I have no intention of using that valve. I want to unscrew and inspect the oil each time, so it will eventually be replaced with a bolt.

The reason you can't use the existing hose is because it is a formed hard line. I suppose you could repurpose it in a way, but it's easy to just get some 1/2 inch couplers and install that way. The kit is sent with 1 1/2" to 1/2" hose coupler, I bought a second one with my hose. Spent around 8 bucks total for the hose and additional coupler.

You're welcome to PM me for any other questions you have with this specific kit.

I just looked up that catch can and its a no go for the Ram 5.7 2016

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
reach out to nick @ gotexhaust. a vendor on here. he will hook you up. i bought the upr in satin from him. a nice unit.

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here is my latest. Engine has 48k, dump was approximately 6k of city and freeway

20190605_130431.jpg

jljbtm

Reaction score
So if you're pulling something heavy or drag racing and your foot is into it all the time it's a good idea to have this catch can. If you drive it like a normal citizen you should find less oil in the can.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l

Slight delay. Weather is terrible today in Houston. So will go for it tomorrow. Sorry!

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know my post will not be about a 5.7 ram or any ram product but I wanted to share the basic importance of a catch can on any motor in today’s modern age.

This is a set of pics of the residue or contaminants that have been caught with my sons Moroso catch can that had been installed on his 5.3L!
This is a sample of all winter and through the month of May approximately about six months.

The oil was Pennzoil platinum high mileage 5W-30. Yesterday I chose to switch due to the direct injection design motor to Castrol Edge (BLK) HM 5W-30. The 5.3L has 168K miles on the OD & still performs ideally.I

After these photos and close observation of what’s inside this 12 ounce jar there is nobody that can convince me that a CC is not a worthwhile investment on these direct injection motors.
Every owner should think long and hard about installing one if they have plans on keeping their Ram well beyond pay off!

View attachment 168681

View attachment 168682

This sample does not have any gas odor or for that matter really any strong oil odor.
Strange thing was this sample has a lot of interstate and Highway driving for long periods of time and very little stop and go city driving on it.

My next psychotic thought as a very **** owner is how much of this crap is actually getting by the catch can and re-circulating back into the motor over and over.
He as well as I am honestly just glad it's performing well & catching what it is.
it does have a well designed baffle at the top - not just a complete hollow can.

Side note: TB was still decently clean - will do a simple CRC Throttle Body spray before winter.

Question: Want to purchase and install a oil catch can for my 2016 Laramie 5.7 . But really don't want to get the wrong one. You can find ones made in china look really cheap and some are small looking also. Would like to do my homework on this. Like a baffled catch can is good for the job ,also a filtered one,or a brass stone filter one, or even a steel wool filtered one. what is a good brand and trusted

View attachment 168681

View attachment 168682

Great post. DI engines and FI engines really benefit the most from a catch can but all engines will see a benefit. I have had them on a few basic pushrods and over head cam V8's both with traditional Fuel injection and NA and say enough crap in there to make the CC worth every penny

We can help you out. We offer the UPR catch can
upload_2019-6-5_20-34-40.png

They are very high quality with great fit and finish. In fact I run a UPR catch can on my personal car. Message me for a quote

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
So if you're pulling something heavy or drag racing and your foot is into it all the time it's a good idea to have this catch can. If you drive it like a normal citizen you should find less oil in the can.

you can benefit from it regardless of how you drive. the CC will catch stuff..several factors influence how much over what period of time (temps, driving style etc). just look at the pics guys are posting. for $100 you dont want to keep that from going into your intake? even if you only had to dump 3 or 4 times a year. its still worth it.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque

It’s actually the exact opposite. High vacuum and blow by is what causes oil in the catch can. The catch can is installed in the vacuum line from the PCV valve to the intake, as the engine runs vacuum opens the PCV valve and the vacuum from the intake pulls crankcase vapors and pressure into the intake to be reburned, catch can just filters out about 50% of the oil vapor causing it to condense where it’s too heavy to be pulled by the air and it falls into the container. When you go heavy throttle the PCV valve essentially shuts as and engine produces very little if not 0” of vacuum at high load WOT so pressure in the crank case gets pushed out the “breather” side of the PCV which connects into the cold air intake by the filter. Pressure will push out along with oil vapor into the intake tube and still make its way into the engine and TB. But it won’t be going into the catch can. There is also a slight suction on the intake tube PCV port at WOT as air is rushing past the port causing a slight vacuum.

High vacuum or low load is where most oil will accumulate in the catch can. So daily driving, city and highway.

Honestly the best option Is to put a catch can and the. Put a breather overflow on the fresh air side to catch any oil that makes it out when your goosing it. Not 100% neccessary tho as I just run the filter that came with my vararam. But I run the diablo catch can for our trucks and it’s a nice piece, been on 2 trucks and I pull a few ounces out every 3k as I check it every couple of months depending on mileage.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Awesome thanks. We havent heard anything like this yet so I will be sure to report it back to UPR to make sure they havent seen anything similar. Hopefully its just a fluke thing.

Update on my stuck ball..... valve. Lol

Took it apart. Pictures below are BOTH with the valve open. 1 before, 1 after cleaning.

I just poured some gas in the catch can after work and let it sit.

Just went back out and decided to stick a tooth pick in there... pulled out a big ol glob of old oil, and crud. So safe to say. Nothing wrong with the can. Just needs a bit of maintenance every once in a while haha.

P.s. didnt get pictures of the glob. Mainly because I'm a ******* and had the valve open while poking it... emptied all the gas on my shorts and garage floor lole3f9fee248ce68ef3f540ee5b067bce2.jpgc0e188095ad5e1c25821fec0ef2beb74.jpg

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update on my stuck ball..... valve. Lol

Took it apart. Pictures below are BOTH with the valve open. 1 before, 1 after cleaning.

I just poured some gas in the catch can after work and let it sit.

Just went back out and decided to stick a tooth pick in there... pulled out a big ol glob of old oil, and crud. So safe to say. Nothing wrong with the can. Just needs a bit of maintenance every once in a while haha.

P.s. didnt get pictures of the glob. Mainly because I'm a ******* and had the valve open while poking it... emptied all the gas on my shorts and garage floor lole3f9fee248ce68ef3f540ee5b067bce2.jpgc0e188095ad5e1c25821fec0ef2beb74.jpg

Thank you for the feedback and hilarious honesty! :rotflmao:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam