Oil Catch Can Dump photos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It’s actually the exact opposite. High vacuum and blow by is what causes oil in the catch can. The catch can is installed in the vacuum line from the PCV valve to the intake, as the engine runs vacuum opens the PCV valve and the vacuum from the intake pulls crankcase vapors and pressure into the intake to be reburned, catch can just filters out about 50% of the oil vapor causing it to condense where it’s too heavy to be pulled by the air and it falls into the container. When you go heavy throttle the PCV valve essentially shuts as and engine produces very little if not 0” of vacuum at high load WOT so pressure in the crank case gets pushed out the “breather” side of the PCV which connects into the cold air intake by the filter. Pressure will push out along with oil vapor into the intake tube and still make its way into the engine and TB. But it won’t be going into the catch can. There is also a slight suction on the intake tube PCV port at WOT as air is rushing past the port causing a slight vacuum.

High vacuum or low load is where most oil will accumulate in the catch can. So daily driving, city and highway.

Honestly the best option Is to put a catch can and the. Put a breather overflow on the fresh air side to catch any oil that makes it out when your goosing it. Not 100% neccessary tho as I just run the filter that came with my vararam. But I run the diablo catch can for our trucks and it’s a nice piece, been on 2 trucks and I pull a few ounces out every 3k as I check it every couple of months depending on mileage.
I find this to be very true for me ^^^^^^

I drive like an old man and I accumulate a lot in my OCC .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It’s actually the exact opposite. High vacuum and blow by is what causes oil in the catch can. The catch can is installed in the vacuum line from the PCV valve to the intake, as the engine runs vacuum opens the PCV valve and the vacuum from the intake pulls crankcase vapors and pressure into the intake to be reburned, catch can just filters out about 50% of the oil vapor causing it to condense where it’s too heavy to be pulled by the air and it falls into the container. When you go heavy throttle the PCV valve essentially shuts as and engine produces very little if not 0” of vacuum at high load WOT so pressure in the crank case gets pushed out the “breather” side of the PCV which connects into the cold air intake by the filter. Pressure will push out along with oil vapor into the intake tube and still make its way into the engine and TB. But it won’t be going into the catch can. There is also a slight suction on the intake tube PCV port at WOT as air is rushing past the port causing a slight vacuum.

High vacuum or low load is where most oil will accumulate in the catch can. So daily driving, city and highway.

Honestly the best option Is to put a catch can and the. Put a breather overflow on the fresh air side to catch any oil that makes it out when your goosing it. Not 100% neccessary tho as I just run the filter that came with my vararam. But I run the diablo catch can for our trucks and it’s a nice piece, been on 2 trucks and I pull a few ounces out every 3k as I check it every couple of months depending on mileage.
Great info right here

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
I just installed a freshly rebuilt 4.7 been a little over 2500 miles and no oil in the catch can is that because it’s a fresh motor it won’t have as much because my old 4.7 had a lot but it also had 175000 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just installed a freshly rebuilt 4.7 been a little over 2500 miles and no oil in the catch can is that because it’s a fresh motor it won’t have as much because my old 4.7 had a lot but it also had 175000 miles

Imo you should have oil in the OCC so long as it is plumbed properly .

From the PCV to the OCC then to the throttle body / air intake plenum typically.

If plumbed properly and getting no oil in the OCC then I'd be checking your PCV make sure it's not clogged and held in the closed or mostly closed position [emoji1360]

~~Tip~~
It helps to mount the OCC below the PCV & intake , meaning the hose from the PCV should travel downward to the OCC and upwards from the OCC to the intake ...if possible [emoji1360] Gravity is your friend .

Hope this helps !

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Changed my oil today (RL 5W-30) and dumped my catch can. My 2017 Hemi has 12,577 miles and I’ve had the catch can for at least 10k of that. I have been saving the dumps into this one container, I don’t know how much is in there but I’m damn glad it’s in the container and not my intake.

CB704BC9-1AD0-416D-8E14-FA319CE41653.png

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Changed my oil today (RL 5W-30) and dumped my catch can. My 2017 Hemi has 12,577 miles and I’ve had the catch can for at least 10k of that. I have been saving the dumps into this one container, I don’t know how much is in there but I’m damn glad it’s in the container and not my intake.

View attachment 172133
Very nice indeed Sir [emoji106]

I have about 70,000 miles of OCC Dumps [emoji16][emoji16]
This photo is actually from last year , I've filled this container and started another [emoji1787][emoji1787]edb357d117fc8139e2a53d7dc2059bd2.jpg

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
I definitely think I got a clog I need to check that out thanks

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Took my catch can off today and it was halfway full turns out the drain was clogged so problem fixed I feel a lot better now appreciate all the help

OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Took my catch can off today and it was halfway full turns out the drain was clogged so problem fixed I feel a lot better now appreciate all the help

Good to hear that you PCV is working properly [emoji1360]

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l

LOL! Do you have a UPR CC? Because mine did the exact same thing

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i won't bother posting photos as mine looks the same as the others here that are like watery oil. but i do want to comment after about 2000 km, mostly highway miles, i had about 2-3 ounces in my pop bottle. love having the drain valve with the hose on my Moroso can.

Sheapdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What are the "breathers" for? I haven't seen this discussed on the thread.

Screenshot_20190710-060008.png

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What are the "breathers" for? I haven't seen this discussed on the thread.

View attachment 172721

this is a pretty good thread about that question:

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/catch-can-with-or-without-breather.220952/

ones an open system (with breather) other is sealed system (as our trucks are designed) I think the ones with the breather are designed more for old school engine applications (remember when motors used to have breather caps on the valve cover?) i see both types at performance shops so the demand must be there from consumers for the open type system as well. for our application, given its designed for a sealed system, i'd use a sealed system. plus its illegal in a lot of places to use a vented system due to emissions.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
That’s the universal one, plug the top with the screw as the breather is in your air box. Or you can run a breather off the driver’s side valve cover.

You’ll need to fab up a custom bracket to mount that, which is why most people just splurge $$ on a direct fit kit.

Sheapdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys, I am going with the bullet one with bracket and hoses provided like multiple members here have. I just saw a few other ones and then a few with breathers. Just doing my due diligence. Great thread, very informative.

Sheapdog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Billet not bullet. Auto correct from another forum. Pichoo pichoo.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i think part of the reason guys with the breathers use them is the guys on the race track will fill up the regular ones in a night at the track. probably looking to exhaust every bit of crud and vapour they can, anyway they can. lol. when Wild one showed me his Moroso and opened it in a parking lot, it looked like a pint of oily dirty water drained onto the ground from his. I think that was one night at the track. lol. Apparently when you read threads about it, a lot of guys doing street or track racing run 2 oil catch cans. there's no end. why not 3? lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
R.L.K.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks guys, I am going with the bullet one with bracket and hoses provided like multiple members here have. I just saw a few other ones and then a few with breathers. Just doing my due diligence. Great thread, very informative.
Why thank you Sir ! Thank you very much in deed [emoji106][emoji106]