oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigpoppa14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Soo I changed my oil for the first time in my Ram 5.7, Nice place for an oil filter lol. how do you keep the oil from running out all over the steering components?
Nice if someone made a oil filter relocation kit. Thanks for your help.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
There are oil relocation kits, but I use a big plastic bag and twist the filter off in the bag, learned right here on RF. Works great.

I recommend you look at getting royal purple filters too, they are great.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What does royal purple have to do with not making a mess changing oil. Try a 2liter bottle or Ziploc bag . Try a few things and see what works best for you. I wouldn't relocate the filter.You will get something to work for you. Gallon ice cream bucket , butter container.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After (1) oil change on the 14, I haven't found the perfect 'catch pan' for the filter area,,,

Time for me to go raid the wifes T-ware collection,,, She's got so many,,, surely she can spare one! :naughty:

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LOL! Burla, you should be getting a check from RP any day now! LOL!!

1morepart

2019 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi 3.92’s
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Someone give me a link to this "trick" on how to change the oil. I dread it after seeing its placement.

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is it through the wheel well like on a cummins?

SouthShoreRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
you can also harpoon the filter with a long screw driver to drain it prior to taking it off.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you can also harpoon the filter with a long screw driver to drain it prior to taking it off.

Contemplating a similar feat,,

I have hundreds of self-drilling fasteners w/neoprene washers. Hex head, about 1/4 dia.
(Also have self tappers up to 5/16)

Also have a ~6~ inch long nut driver that chucks in my cordless impact.

Plan is to loosen filter just enough to ensure removal by hand later,,, Install fastener, remove fastener, and drain filter contents into small pan.

Replace fastener and remove filter.

Unclear if / how well this will work, but won't cost me anything but my time.

Last edited:

jadocs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh ok, when I did mine through the wheel well I just stuck my thumb in the hole and pulled it through. I recommend to use gloves because that oil it hot and the threads are sharp. Keeps it from spilling everywhere though.

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I come in from the front with a band filter wrench. Easy as can be.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
After my dealership maintenance disaster today- I went and fashioned a piece to take the filter off without mess- or very little.

used an old hot water bag, a chunk of plastic tubing and an old awl. Cut the bag down shallow enough to get up to the block, over the filter, and leave some drain room in the bottom. Stuck the awl through the bag- since it's rubber it's self healing and seals, and the tube is attached to the bag. It's like an automotive IV. Place the bag over the filter, a good whack with the palm of your hand on the awl, and let the filter drain out, down the tube, into the oil pan. Used this on a lot of our other vehicles, so I just modified it for the Ram with the horrible clearances. It's not pretty but it works. I have done this with 2L pop bottles too, just cut them, attach a hose, make a hole in the filter. Down the tube into the pan.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I changed mine this weekend. i use the ziplock bag method. I have a pair of Filter pliers I use to loosen and then once I can turn it by hand, I place the zuiplock over it and continue to spin off. Yes, the location sucks, but i minimize the damage with the bag. its a one towell job to cleanup there after. I come in from the front to get to the filter. makes it much easier.

I also did the wife's Nissan Quest. similar to ours, the filter is above the cross member/frame. However, it is much easier to get to. I can do hers in about 5 minutes as I can drain the pan and filter at the same time. mine takes me about 10 mins.

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Ziplock bag method.....now that is using your head! I hate having to get oil all over the front axle and sensor. No more wash down for me

Thanks for the genius idea guys

pkrexer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The bag method is all good until your losing the filter and it catches you off guard and slips into the bag, making you lose your grip of the bag which then causes oil to spill onto your face....

I may or may not have had that happen this past weekend... Ugh, what a mess lol.

The next oil change is even going to be a bigger pain in the a**. I used the oversized SRT filter and could hardly get the filter to fit through the opening to put it on.

sylver91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
This has saved me multiple times. Some days I'll be working on rusted out cars that are already hemorrhaging oil and others on expensive luxury cars that need their own special socket and a scan tool to check the oil level and I can't afford to have a drop of oil anywhere.

p13949a.jpg

TripleC5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
how does that filter removal tool hold onto the filter? Just friction?