Oil change due

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Egor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How does it calculate when it's due and can you trust it when you run full synthetic?

Totesmygoats

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How does it calculate when it's due and can you trust it when you run full synthetic?

It's a guideline I wouldn't trust either way. If it's like most in the industry its based on things like fuel consumption, starts, RPM/time, temperature ETC.

So either way it gives you a good idea of how much more or less "life" you took out of the oil compared to the standard interval.

Note that a lot of the things it uses to determine oil life are equally as bad for conventional or synthetic, short trips, contamination (which it is extrapolating from the running conditions) ETC.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If you run that thing you will be changing your oil too soon. If you are running something like Mobil one, just change it every 6 months up to 10k miles. Look at synthetic filter like Royal Purple or Fram Ultra. 2011, I think you clear that code by turning the key to last point before start, pressing gas three times, and turning off then on? Just clear that and ignore it and run your own program. Every six months is perfect unless you are running top top tier oil and want to run it longer. Then play the uoa game and they will tell you what is a good oil change interval. check out syn thread.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you run that thing you will be changing your oil too soon. If you are running something like Mobil one, just change it every 6 months up to 10k miles. Look at synthetic filter like Royal Purple or Fram Ultra. 2011, I think you clear that code by turning the key to last point before start, pressing gas three times, and turning off then on? Just clear that and ignore it and run your own program. Every six months is perfect unless you are running top top tier oil and want to run it longer. Then play the uoa game and they will tell you what is a good oil change interval. check out syn thread.

Funny that you say it would be changed too soon..... Here's my scenario on my 2015 Sport

1. Dumped the original oil around 2500 miles
2. Put in Mobil 1 and reset the Evic oil gauge
3. Around 12,000 miles I dumped the Mobil 1
4. Reset Evic oil gauge, even though it said 35% life left. That would have gotten me near 14k miles on the full synthetic.

As you said, 10k miles on full syn is a nice number, but I beleive you can go a year as well ( not just 10k or 6 months ). I think conventional Dino oil is at the 6 month mark no? I have the the free pup from the pennzoil oua program in there now and I'm very happy with it. Wife and I do about 12k miles a year and have never had issues with a 10-12 month oil change in any of our vehicles. Until the pup, I've only used mobil1 for the last 10 years or so

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
pensoil platinum, mopar filter 7000 or six month oci, whatever comes first.