Oil change mess

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Almaramguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got done changing the oil on my Ram for the first time. Thought I would be smart and throw a couple rags underneath the filter to catch the small amount of oil I was expecting from the filter before it covered the steering rack. Wasn't so smart afterall:crazy:. Never had so much oil come out of a filter before lol, and I have probably done a hundred oil changes in my lifetime. At least the Chrysler engineers got it together on my wife's Durango. Anyone have any good ideas on how to catch the oil so I don't have to have a couple pounds of kitty litter on hand for every oil change:)?

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I use a gallon freezer ziplock, I am however going to switch to a small cup that fits under it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Qrt or gallon size plastic bag, cover the filter when you are twisting off. Anyhow, split oil really aint hurting nothing.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I put a small long funnel under the filter then take a long screw drive and pop a hole in it and let it drain before I try to remove it.
Yeah its in a **** poor location.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use tin foil- I wrap anything that may come in contact with oil in Tin foil. It’s heat resistant and molds easy.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just got done changing the oil on my Ram for the first time. Thought I would be smart and throw a couple rags underneath the filter to catch the small amount of oil I was expecting from the filter before it covered the steering rack. Wasn't so smart afterall:crazy:. Never had so much oil come out of a filter before lol, and I have probably done a hundred oil changes in my lifetime. At least the Chrysler engineers got it together on my wife's Durango. Anyone have any good ideas on how to catch the oil so I don't have to have a couple pounds of kitty litter on hand for every oil change:)?

I relocated my oil filter to the front frame rail,cause I hated the oil changing mess so much. Actually had more reasons for doing it,but that was one of the higher up the list reasons:roflsquared:. Trans Dapt 1127 fits the trucks,and Kurtis /Charonblk has a detailed how-to on his build thread.

OP
OP
Almaramguy

Almaramguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys. I like the sounds of the Ziploc bag. Gonna have to try that next time

Rampaige

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve tried the large gallon freezer ziplock bag and still managed to spill some oil out. I think next time I will try the long funnel and long screw driver trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Use a 2-liter pop bottle cut in half to catch the oil.

Loosen filter (just a tad), put cut bottle under it, and then unscrew it 3-5 turns. Let drain into bottle. unscrew the rest of the way and remove.

No mess, no fuss.

Glockman19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I relocated my oil filter to the front frame rail,cause I hated the oil changing mess so much. Actually had more reasons for doing it,but that was one of the higher up the list reasons:roflsquared:. Trans Dapt 1127 fits the trucks,and Kurtis /Charonblk has a detailed how-to on his build thread.

I did the same thing except I used billet adapters and braided hose as I don't like the cast pieces, fittings or hose that come with the TransDapt kits. After dealing with the mess and the gallon Ziploc bags I had enough with the terrible filter location and put together my own setup.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
I put a small long funnel under the filter then take a long screw drive and pop a hole in it and let it drain before I try to remove it.
Yeah its in a **** poor location.

This is what I do, but I use the Form-A-Funnel. I form the funnel to the front side (toward the front of the truck) of the filter and then over the steering rack so it drains towards the rear. Then pop a hole in the bottom of the filter towards the rear. Quick and easy, no mess of oil running down the sides of the filter and the steering rack stays perfectly clean.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BUB57R...t=&hvlocphy=9009936&hvtargid=pla-378995967317

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I don't get how a cup would work. The cup has to be laid down (turned sideways) to get it out.

I made a mess with the zip lock 1 gallon baggie, too.

I was in a hurry...

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My “Hemi oil change cup” works great.......on the small filter anyway. It is just the right size to drop down and pull out towards the front.

Attachments

• 87B112C8-543E-4FFA-B5F5-99B73A9E4BA4.jpg
    87B112C8-543E-4FFA-B5F5-99B73A9E4BA4.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 23