Oil change recommendations? Cliffsnotes version please!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drpepperrocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tried making it through the synthetic oil change thread but at 960 pages, my ADD is preventing me from finding out the answers. Can someone please let me know what the prevailing thoughts are on top two oils and filters we should be using?

gypsy400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried making it through the synthetic oil change thread but at 960 pages, my ADD is preventing me from finding out the answers. Can someone please let me know what the prevailing thoughts are on top two oils and filters we should be using?
Are you under warranty?

I found that Pennzoil and Quaker state are the only oils with the Chrysler certification (MS- Yada Yada yada) and the mopar filter is cheaper than buying a fram or other aftermarket brand.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Look in the owners manual.......

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Redline 5W-30 and Royal Purple 10-48 Filter is by far the best thing for the Hemi, per testing and results in the thread.

#2 is a toss up between Amsoil SS 5W-30 or Penzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30

If you choose conventional oil then Normal Penzoil in the yellow bottle 5W-30 is a good choice.

Stick with Royal Purple 10-48 or the Fram Ultra Synthetic Filter and you can't go wrong.

That's the cliff notes for the Synthetic Oil thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

drpepperrocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Redline 5W-30 and Royal Purple 10-48 Filter is by far the best thing for the Hemi, per testing and results in the thread.

#2 is a toss up between Amsoil SS 5W-30 or Penzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30

If you choose conventional oil then Normal Penzoil in the yellow bottle 5W-30 is a good choice.

Stick with Royal Purple 10-48 or the Fram Ultra Synthetic Filter and you can't go wrong.

That's the cliff notes for the Synthetic Oil thread

Perfect...that's what I was looking for! Greatly appreciated!!!

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Amazon for the Redline or Penzoil Ultra Platinum, same for filters.

Badger88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Will 5W-30 have any effect on mds? I thought I read somewhere you should only use 5w20? I am not much of a mechanic so not really sure the difference.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Had not affected mine as of yet, Red line 5w30 and a Royal Purple filter here.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Will 5W-30 have any effect on mds? I thought I read somewhere you should only use 5w20? I am not much of a mechanic so not really sure the difference.

Nope, been running 5W-30 in both the Hemi Durango and the Ram and zero MDS issues

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Heres my opinion...The synthetic oil thread is ALL vooooo doooo B.S.

When the FCA engineers who did all the testing on the 6.4 engine say that synthetic oil is NOT required and the engine will run fine on 5w30 dino oil, that's good enough for me...Heres a cut n paste of one of my post in another thread regarding why/how I base my opinion on this subject...

Thought process is based on these real world factors

Ive owned 14-3500 series H.D. trucks so far in my lifetime...Well over 1,350,000 miles combined on all those trucks...Other that the diesels, which I ran 15w40, the gassers, 5.7...6.0...7.4...8.1... all got the cheapest **** oil I could put in them...O.C.I. was ALWAYS around the 4-4.5k mileage, also included a filter change everytime....NEVER any internal engine issues EVER...All these trucks were severe duty, used daily thru out their lifecycle...I just don't buy into the voooo doooo that other 6.4 owners do, especially that my O.C.I. on this RAM will be at 5k intervals...Search the internet for the video that has the 2 FCA engineers stating that they did all the testing of the 6.4 motor with a 30wt oil in it.......Lol

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Imo, there isn't a cliff notes answer. All depends on how you use the truck and the oci you follow. I disagree with that oil thread is full of vodoo. There is plenty of info on the advantages of synthetic oil. It's just a matter of whether or not your driving and the use of your truck are able to make use of the advantages.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

When the FCA engineers who did all the testing on the 6.4 engine say that synthetic oil is NOT required and the engine will run fine on 5w30 dino oil, that's good enough for me...Heres a cut n paste of one of my post in another thread regarding why/how I base my opinion on this subject...

Ive owned 14-3500 series H.D. trucks so far in my lifetime...Well over 1,350,000 miles combined on all those trucks...Other that the diesels, which I ran 15w40, the gassers, 5.7...6.0...7.4...8.1... all got the cheapest **** oil I could put in them...O.C.I. was ALWAYS around the 4-4.5k mileage, also included a filter change everytime....NEVER any internal engine issues EVER...All these trucks were severe duty, used daily thru out their lifecycle...I just don't buy into the voooo doooo that other 6.4 owners do, especially that my O.C.I. on this RAM will be at 5k intervals...Search the internet for the video that has the 2 FCA engineers stating that they did all the testing of the 6.4 motor with a 30wt oil in it.......Lol

Well there we have it fellow "Synthetic oil" thread followers.... the answer to our 1000 page question is right here.

LoL

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

That's less than 100000 miles per truck. Wonder how long they lasted after you dumped them.

Openclasspro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rating

Are you under warranty?

I found that Pennzoil and Quaker state are the only oils with the Chrysler certification (MS- Yada Yada yada) and the mopar filter is cheaper than buying a fram or other aftermarket brand.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Amsoil signature 5w20 carries it as well

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Well there we have it fellow "Synthetic oil" thread followers.... the answer to our 1000 page question is right here.

LoL

Share that Knowledge with the hundreds of owners whom Took the time to share their 5.7L hemi lifter tick videos with the world (On YouTube) and see if that method quiets their tick like RL has! :puke:

"Chances are they were already using that Brilliant Knowledge when they started receiving the so-called Hemi Lifter Tick! "

Last edited: