Oil Changes Pentastar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm changing my oil every 10,000 kms and the filter seems to be pretty hard and non-pliable. Since it's easy to change I was wondering if is advisable to change the filter half way through at 5,000 kms. Using synthetic oil since new. Thanks in advance for any advice.

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's unnecessary. Brings the possibility of inducing a problem yourself if you make a mistake, but certainly won't hurt anything if you do it right! And always use quality filters.

OP
OP
TerraNewf

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's unnecessary. Brings the possibility of inducing a problem yourself if you make a mistake, but certainly won't hurt anything if you do it right! And always use quality filters.

It's a pretty easy swap on the Pentastar, Hard to do it wrong imo.

GP4L

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's a pretty easy swap on the Pentastar, Hard to do it wrong imo.

If you believe confidence = competence, then you are good to go!

I was only speaking objectively. In racing world there's no such thing as changing filters, oils and spark plugs "too much." :favorites13:

GoldDot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm changing my oil every 10,000 kms and the filter seems to be pretty hard and non-pliable. Since it's easy to change I was wondering if is advisable to change the filter half way through at 5,000 kms. Using synthetic oil since new. Thanks in advance for any advice.

How long does it take you to get to 10k.? How much of that is highway miles?

Personally I would think about going to 7.5k.

Also if your worried about the filter, consider going to a full glass media.

OP
OP
TerraNewf

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How long does it take you to get to 10k.? How much of that is highway miles?

Personally I would think about going to 7.5k.

Also if your worried about the filter, consider going to a full glass media.

Can you elaborate a bit more on the full glass media,,,,thanks

Last edited:

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I do full changes around 5000 miles.

But, swapping the filter wouldn't be a big deal, especially given its location you may not even need to add any extra oil, but I would still check.

OP
OP
TerraNewf

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you believe confidence = competence, then you are good to go!

LOL, i've been doing my own oil changes for 40 years. I'm Very competent and have lots of confidences. Thanks for the advice.

OP
OP
TerraNewf

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I do full changes around 5000 miles.

But, swapping the filter wouldn't be a big deal, especially given its location you may not even need to add any extra oil, but I would still check.

how does your filter look at 5000 mi? That's roughly 8000 kms.

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
how does your filter look at 5000 mi? That's roughly 8000 kms.

So far it hasn't looked too bad. The pleats are generally still straight, the filter isn't too dirty, no damage. I also have only done about 3 changes. Getting ready to do another soon, truck only has 15,500 miles.

OP
OP
TerraNewf

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So far it hasn't looked too bad. The pleats are generally still straight, the filter isn't too dirty, no damage. I also have only done about 3 changes. Getting ready to do another soon, truck only has 15,500 miles.

Got ya, mine has 34000 kms so I just did one when I returned from a trip to FL. Most kms are highway but the filter was pretty dirty, it was straight but non- pliable as compared to a new one. I'm glad it's an easy change, just getting opinions whether it's necessary or not.

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
In my opinion, you are half way to an oil change at that point, might as well drain it and add some new oil, take another 5 minutes to do.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
On the T&C we have with Pentastar we change it every 8-10K miles use either Mopar or K&N filter does not seem to be an issue. Filter looks dirty but still a filter not blown through so still working. We use synthetic always.

OP
OP
TerraNewf

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
In my opinion, you are half way to an oil change at that point, might as well drain it and add some new oil, take another 5 minutes to do.

You maybe missed my point, oil is expensive but the filter isn't and easy to replace.

kevperro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I'm a stick to the recommended RAM schedule and use OEM parts kind of guy. That would get my vote.

OP
OP
TerraNewf

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm a stick to the recommended RAM schedule and use OEM parts kind of guy. That would get my vote.

Good practice to follow but the recommended oil change intervals seem long to me that's why I change at 10,000 kms rather then the 15,000 recommended by FCA.

kevperro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Good practice to follow but the recommended oil change intervals seem long to me that's why I change at 10,000 kms rather then the 15,000 recommended by FCA.

Better safe than sorry. I have an oil pump with this Dr. Suess snurgly tube that goes down into the crankcase and you can suck the oil right out. You can do an oil change without ever getting on the ground since the filter is on top.

OP
OP
TerraNewf

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Better safe than sorry. I have an oil pump with this Dr. Suess snurgly tube that goes down into the crankcase and you can suck the oil right out. You can do an oil change without ever getting on the ground since the filter is on top.

Where do you insert this tube?