Which oil to eliminate tick.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2013sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been using mobil 1 5w20 in my 2013 since new. Switched over to mobil 1 5w30 to see if tick would decrease.
Tick did not change at all. Always used wix filter as well.

Which oil have guys had the most luck with in reducing or eliminating the hemi tick?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

bhonshell37

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Some guys swear by adding Redline oil additive reduced or eliminated the hemi tick

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been using mobil 1 5w20 in my 2013 since new. Switched over to mobil 1 5w30 to see if tick would decrease.
Tick did not change at all. Always used wix filter as well.

Which oil have guys had the most luck with in reducing or eliminating the hemi tick?

Thanks

There are tons of threads on this but Pennzoil Synthetic has the correct moly rating that the Chrysler require... Mobil 1 doesnt. I have been a decade long Mobil 1 fan but have been using the Pennzoil since I got my ram. Will say this... They didn't have the Mopar filter I always use last time so I went with a Fram... and nothing but ticking.. picked up a Mopar filter to swap it out just haven't had the time.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Redline 5W-30 oil or a mixture of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum PUP @ 3 qts of 0W-40 & 4 qts of PUP 5W-30 .
The key seems to be an oil with higher than normal Moly ppm & Zinc ppm .

Redline is your best bet to quiet or eliminate the lifter tick common in the hemi engines . Due to how the moly works it should be ran for 500 to 750 miles to start hearing a difference and will continue to get better with more miles .
Imo your Wix Xp filter is a fine choice , I prefer the Royal Purple RP10-48 filter though .

Make sure your " hemi tick " isn't a broken exhaust manifold bolt due to a warped manifold ...this is very common .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Make sure your " hemi tick " isn't a broken exhaust manifold bolt due to a warped manifold ...this is very common .

This, if your tick didn't change at all with your oil change, this would be the likely culprit. Unfortunately lifter tick and exhaust tick can sound exactly alike. 1 inch tube or a stethoscope should narrow down if it's bolts. If it's not exhaust bolts, I second what rlk says^^. Redline ended my lifter tick.

OP
OP
2013sport

2013sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
May be a stupid question but where do i put the tube to listen for the bolts? Seems to be a lit of heat sheilding around the exhaust manifold.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You would likely feel or hear that anywhere down to the muffler I would guess. Is it one side dominant? Pick a spot on both sides of anything you can access. If you have to remove the shield if you can access the bolts.

Silence

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Redline 5W-30 oil or a mixture of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum PUP @ 3 qts of 0W-40 & 4 qts of PUP 5W-30 .

Redline is your best bet to quiet or eliminate the lifter tick common in the hemi engines . Due to how the moly works it should be ran for 500 to 750 miles to start hearing a difference and will continue to get better with more miles .
Imo your Wix Xp filter is a fine choice , I prefer the Royal Purple RP10-48 filter though .

2012 1500 5.7 4x2

Hey man, I have a hoooooorrrrrriiiiibbbblllllleeeee grinding/ more so a rattle. On cold start for roughly 1.5 mins. Me and dealership aren't in agreement. Since it wasn't fixed ( Been about a month since purchase) it's now started doing it while mobile at various temps. At first it was just cold start. How would one know a " warped manifold. I'm 99% sure it was just a broken manifold bolt, but since it's gotten worse. I saw your post just wondering if I now fall in that category. Any advice for me would be more than needed/appreciated. Ty

Sincerely Si.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can you post a sound bite video on YouTube and link it here ?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
2012 1500 5.7 4x2

Hey man, I have a hoooooorrrrrriiiiibbbblllllleeeee grinding/ more so a rattle. On cold start for roughly 1.5 mins. Me and dealership aren't in agreement. Since it wasn't fixed ( Been about a month since purchase) it's now started doing it while mobile at various temps. At first it was just cold start. How would one know a " warped manifold. I'm 99% sure it was just a broken manifold bolt, but since it's gotten worse. I saw your post just wondering if I now fall in that category. Any advice for me would be more than needed/appreciated. Ty

Sincerely Si.

I would say if manifold it is more of clacking than a tick. It should be loudest at startup but then may go away or just be quieter when warmed up. This is a very very common problem. On my street there is a guy two doors down same problem I have and have already repaired. I repaired it on my Durango with Hemi and my dads Ram as well. I don't know why it is an issue on our trucks but it is. Only thing I really don't like about them.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would have to agree with the post above regarding the exhaust leak. In most cases and depending on the cause, most exhaust leaks will get slightly quieter when it gets warm. I'm not saying that it's not your problem. That seems to be the case in my experiences. Now with that said, I don't know what the previous owner used in my ram but I have always used Napa 5/20 which is a synthetic blend and a napa gold filter. With just shy of 50k miles I don't have any ticking issues

SportyJames

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Does Schaeffer has as much moly and zinc as Redline?

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Does Schaeffer has as much moly and zinc as Redline?

Visit the Synthetic Oil Thread !
I posted a fairly new VOA of Schaeffers 9000 5W-30.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure about the Zinc , but to my knowledge Redline has the highest Moly available today @ 500- 600 ppm .
Redlines Zinc is about 1200 ppm...

Back-In-Black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7l
Yea will have to surf forum cause I'm interested in best oil for it as well. Sounds like my 4.7 @ 127k & just like my 94 grand Cherokee did for years.
https://youtu.be/Mi9Ea2ETGfc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn , that sounds terrible.

Sounds like you may have a bad belt tensioner bearing , exhaust leak AND lifter noise .

Check all pully bearings & exhaust manifold bolts , send in a UOA to Blackstone labs and change oil to REDLINE 4qts of 5W-30 mixed with 3 qts of 0W-40 and install an RP 10-48 Filter .

Good luck Sir .

Back-In-Black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7l
Its been checked all out at few diff places with nothing ever found. Phone was on ground directly under rig by front tire. Stops after just over minute of cold idle then completely gone. My jeep sounded like that (worse really) for years & never had prob. I ended recording as soon as knock smoothed out & stopped. I drive it 100 mi to work & 100 mi home 6 days a week & drive it around construction site during day & always starts instantly, never hesitates, idle, oil & temp always right on, no belt wobble or any sounds or anything at all. I keep ear/eye on it of course. I have a rebuilt hemi out of totalled rig for the day it craps out anyways so not to worried.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk