Oil Filter struggle and remote filter kit install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Nice! I like the idea. I may have to do this. I haven't done an oil change in my 1500 yet, I am sure it has to be easier than my 2500 CTD was..

One thing I wanted to note, the factory oil it actually top notch oil. Engineers tested all sorts of oils to be used with the Hemi and Penz is the best they found. Especially when it comes to that Hemi tick!

Coming out of a 6.7 Cummins and going to a 5.7l Hemi I will say this.
The 6.7 is SO simple and quick compared to the 5.7 Hemi, the filter location is total crap on the Hemi.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Coming out of a 6.7 Cummins and going to a 5.7l Hemi I will say this.
The 6.7 is SO simple and quick compared to the 5.7 Hemi, the filter location is total crap on the Hemi.

Great! HAHA! Guess I'll be ordering a relocation filter :)

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I didn't pay much attention to the filter location until I went to do the oil change today. I will most definitely have a relocation kit ready for the next oil change.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did this add about a quart of oil to your changes?

Thinking I have 50% oil life - thinking maybe I'll order a relocation kit and have it ready when I do the oil change.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
One guy did say he's running 8 quarts now with the larger RP filter and relocation kit.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune

Thinking I have 50% oil life - thinking maybe I'll order a relocation kit and have it ready when I do the oil change.

I had 47% left, but I also had 5000 miles on the oil. I'm guessing it was regular dino oil the dealer used when I bought it, not synthetic

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Mine takes just a smidge under 8 qt's with the bigger filter and relocation lines,a full 8 qt's puts it slightly overfill

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On the subject - will a relocation kit cause warranty issues?

I know, I know, they have to prove a relocation kit caused whatever issue pops up, so lets take the Hemi tick and/or cam lobe wipeout issue as examples.

Will the dealer/FCA claim a relocation kit caused the issue and then not fix under warranty?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
On the subject - will a relocation kit cause warranty issues?

I know, I know, they have to prove a relocation kit caused whatever issue pops up, so lets take the Hemi tick and/or cam lobe wipeout issue as examples.

Will the dealer/FCA claim a relocation kit caused the issue and then not fix under warranty?

Easy enough to remove the kit in that scenario if it does happen.Once the kit is in place removing it shouldn't be much harder then doing an oil change,unscrew the filter adapter,then screw a stock filter back in place,and unbolt the relocated filter off the frame

GIJoe2010

No sh*t, there I was . . .
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^Sounds like a plan to me.

I really want to do this mod now. I’ve got an oil change coming in about 600 miles.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just did my first oil/filter change about 30 minutes ago. Shirt and shorts soaking in Dawn. Covered in oil...I’m just amazed...an engine bay that big and these window lickers locate that filter THERE!?!? Now I have to trudge into the woods and find my strap wrench...I went a little Happy Gilmore with it....Relocation kit waiting for next service.....

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just did my first oil/filter change about 30 minutes ago. Shirt and shorts soaking in Dawn. Covered in oil...I’m just amazed...an engine bay that big and these window lickers locate that filter THERE!?!? Now I have to trudge into the woods and find my strap wrench...I went a little Happy Gilmore with it....Relocation kit waiting for next service.....

The cars filters are way easier to get at.The filter on my wifes 5.7 2016 Challenger sits vertically,and is very easy to get at,why the trucks have them on an angle and buried kind of baffles me,lol

OP
OP
sportcoupe

sportcoupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Rebel Mojave Sand
Engine
I know this is old, but was there a reason you made your own version for 50% more cost than other kits?

Because I didn't want a bunch of 90° fittings in the oil path. They don't make a kit with all straight fittings but they have all the parts available so I made my own kit.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Because I didn't want a bunch of 90° fittings in the oil path. They don't make a kit with all straight fittings but they have all the parts available so I made my own kit.

Hate to say anything but you still have 90 degree fittings.The oil still makes a hard 90 coming out of the adapter and makes a hard 90 into the remote mount. They make 90 degree fittings that have a smooth radius and flow more oil then your hard 90's do.

Stefan N

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
OP
OP
sportcoupe

sportcoupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Rebel Mojave Sand
Engine
Hate to say anything but you still have 90 degree fittings.The oil still makes a hard 90 coming out of the adapter and makes a hard 90 into the remote mount. They make 90 degree fittings that have a smooth radius and flow more oil then your hard 90's do.

I can't control what happens inside the adapter and filter mount. I can control the fittings. I have done that. Less is more.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I can't control what happens inside the adapter and filter mount. I can control the fittings. I have done that. Less is more.

You better look at Trans Dapt's kit,it has the same amount of 90's as your kit,and you can use the smooth radius 90 fittings with it.Your kit is nice,but I highly doubt you've gained anything over the Trans Dapt kit with a couple gentle radius -10 fittings.Trans Dapts kits fittings come out of the filter mount and into the remote filter with no 90's,so you could techinically plumb it with-out a single 90,but most guys with the kit use the gentle radius 90's to clean up the looks and to make it easier to use slightly shorter hoses.I'm not bashing your set-up,it's very nice,but to claim it's better then the other guys kits,is a bit of a stretch.

Chief_6.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Does anyone have any links to a kit you can buy online and just bolt on.... of course except for the filter. Where is everyone getting these relocation kits from?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Last edited: