Oil Leak Under Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good morning. I'm bumping my old thread. Well.....it's baaaaack……

Same issue as before. About 4000 miles since oil was changed (by my dealer) last April, and she's spotting the driveway again, and dripping from the same spot. I'm guessing it's the same issue. What's with the filters loosening on these trucks. Never had this happen on any other vehicle I've owned.

Have you considered using a different filter?

Arth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Limited 4x4
Engine
6.7 HO Cummins Turbo Diesel
I've owned two 2009's, 2013, and two 2014's all with the 5.7 Hemi and I've put lots of miles on all of those trucks. I have never had an issue like what you are having.

The only time I had any issue with the oil filter is when I tried to use the older style oil filter, 09-12, on my 2014. Now I could be wrong but this seems like an install problem.

Good morning. I'm bumping my old thread. Well.....it's baaaaack……

Same issue as before. About 4000 miles since oil was changed (by my dealer) last April, and she's spotting the driveway again, and dripping from the same spot. I'm guessing it's the same issue. What's with the filters loosening on these trucks. Never had this happen on any other vehicle I've owned.

Since it's under warranty, and I want it documented in the record, I'm taking it in on Thursday for them to check. I'll have the cruise recall done as long as it's there.

Is this just a "thing" with these 5.7s? Like the leaky oil cooler lines are a "thing" with Vipers? (Don't get me started, LOL!)

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've had the oil filter develop small leaks on my truck on 2 occasions only. Both times it was the dealer so I wonder if it's a procedural thing. The quickie place I always need a filter wrench to get it off, but the dealer filters come off by hand. Both times they gave me a new sticker and changed the filter and oil for free with an apology. Problem with hand tight is some hands are stronger than others.

OP
OP
swexlin

swexlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had the oil filter develop small leaks on my truck on 2 occasions only. Both times it was the dealer so I wonder if it's a procedural thing. The quickie place I always need a filter wrench to get it off, but the dealer filters come off by hand. Both times they gave me a new sticker and changed the filter and oil for free with an apology. Problem with hand tight is some hands are stronger than others.

Yes, you may be right. Interesting, searching the threads here, how many have posted about leaking filters.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yes, you may be right. Interesting, searching the threads here, how many have posted about leaking filters.
When I looked under my truck several days ago now and saw oil it was my first guess as I had it changed only 50 or so km ago. Unfortunately this time it wasn't

OP
OP
swexlin

swexlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I looked under my truck several days ago now and saw oil it was my first guess as I had it changed only 50 or so km ago. Unfortunately this time it wasn't

So what is it leaking from? Can you see?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So what is it leaking from? Can you see?
Somewhere on the back of the transmission and a major amount of trans fluid. I'll find out next week once the dealer gets a chance to look at it. Towing it in Tuesday or wednesday.

Chief_6.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Good afternoon. I've owned this truck for 13 months now, and it has been perfect - until now. Noticed some spotting on my driveway this weekend. Crawled under the truck, and noticed I have a leak on the passenger side, coming off what I think is the steering box? I'm sorry, I don't know the name of it.

On edit: I crawled back under the truck, and looking up at the filter, it's dripping off the bottom of that. I can't get in there to see if tight. My dealer tech last changed oil in November when it was in for PA state inspection, that was 4000 miles ago. I'm at 52% on the oil life gauge, and my oil is on the "s" in the safe zone on the dipstick.

Truck is 2016 1500 5.7 with 8-speed. It's under warranty of course, so I'll be calling my dealer tomorrow to make an appointment. I just want know what to tell my service advisor. I have a good relationship with him, because of my Viper, which has had more issues than you want to know. Thank you

Here's a pic:
Out of curiosity what was wrong with your Viper? I had my long block replaced at 3000 miles on mine go figure but since then all has been well.

OP
OP
swexlin

swexlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nothing wrong, the oil cooler lines leak...it's a quirk that goes back 20 years. The OEM lines are cheap. There are better aftermarket fixes, but also more involved. There have been engine replacements, yes, on the Gen 5s, but mine has been OK, so far.... (knock wood!)

Chief_6.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Nothing wrong, the oil cooler lines leak...it's a quirk that goes back 20 years. The OEM lines are cheap. There are better aftermarket fixes, but also more involved. There have been engine replacements, yes, on the Gen 5s, but mine has been OK, so far.... (knock wood!)
My oil pump gave out, reason for them to replace my block. But no other issues. What year and how many miles do you have on yours?

OP
OP
swexlin

swexlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My oil pump gave out, reason for them to replace my block. But no other issues. What year and how many miles do you have on yours?

It's in my sig - 2013 Gen 5,about 13,500 miles now. Fantastic car to drive.

OP
OP
swexlin

swexlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I reached up under the truck (I really can't get my fat hand in there good) and the filter is indeed coated with oil. Wiped what I could, but the filter seems on tight, I couldn't budge it.

So, we'll see what they say when I take it in on Thursday. This is why I want it documented in the service records. By the way I checked my oil and after 4600 miles, I'm still towards the top of the safe zone.

Chief_6.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It's in my sig - 2013 Gen 5,about 13,500 miles now. Fantastic car to drive.
Your telling me..... it’s an instant head turner. I even caused a small fender bender with 2 other cars cause they were distracted with my Viper. When I’m driving it I always fear that some douch bag is gonna want to record my car and not be paying attention and accidentally run into me. Maybe I’m just paranoid. Anyway hope you figure the truck leak out

Here’s my baby 2015

B4B98375-7C1B-4F48-B6F4-5EBF8060D2B9.png

Last edited:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Not good. Well, it's under warranty. Please keep us posted.
had it towed in this morning and the dealer has looked at it. Ordered in a new transmission pan and gasket for tomorrow as that looks like the culprit. At least it's not something major, but a fairly big leak for just a pan. They're going to recheck it tomorrow once installed and make sure.
IMG_20180821_1000097.jpg

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well thev put a new pan and gasket on. Road tested it and checked for leaks. Say it looks good. Going to go down there tomorrow to see how bad the body damage is since somebody scraped it up 1 side while it was parked at the dealer. They're fixing it at the dealer body shop on their dime. They've been great service wise for years and the fact this truck has been problematic isn't their fault so I'm letting them off the hook as long as they fix it properly as accidents do happen occasionally, but this truck does feel a bit cursed. Already had the bumper replaced pre delivery after it was hit in the shipping yard.

OP
OP
swexlin

swexlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I'm not too happy right now either. Truck went in today. Service tech found "no cracks in oil housing" and must have been "sloppy cleanup after last oil change". Even my service manager, who've I've known for years, thought this was weak. It was changed 4600 miles ago, on April 3, by them. If it was residual oil from a change, it would have dripped right away, and been done.

They changed the oil and filter. I drove 12 miles home. Got under truck, and, you guessed it, filter is already wet. So, I cleaned it up with a paper towel, and will monitor. But honestly, I expect it to start dripping again right away.

Truck goes back in November for PA state inspection. I just don't have the time to take it back right now. I'm single, so each time I drop it, I have to rent a car to get around. (With the Viper, I drop it, and Uber home to get my truck).

So, this is frustrating, and not resolved. I've got a chronic leaker at 30,000 miles. Other than this, truck has been perfect. Not even a rattle or squeak.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Well, I'm not too happy right now either. Truck went in today. Service tech found "no cracks in oil housing" and must have been "sloppy cleanup after last oil change". Even my service manager, who've I've known for years, thought this was weak. It was changed 4600 miles ago, on April 3, by them. If it was residual oil from a change, it would have dripped right away, and been done.

They changed the oil and filter. I drove 12 miles home. Got under truck, and, you guessed it, filter is already wet. So, I cleaned it up with a paper towel, and will monitor. But honestly, I expect it to start dripping again right away.

Truck goes back in November for PA state inspection. I just don't have the time to take it back right now. I'm single, so each time I drop it, I have to rent a car to get around. (With the Viper, I drop it, and Uber home to get my truck).

So, this is frustrating, and not resolved. I've got a chronic leaker at 30,000 miles. Other than this, truck has been perfect. Not even a rattle or squeak.
I read on another thread that the larger oil filter was eliminating the leaky oil filter. This is happening a lot with the crap filter Ram is putting on our trucks.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

I would try to tighten it half a turn more if it's leaking and then watch it. Also clean up whatever oil mess is there at the car wash or pressure washer at home if you have one so you'll see if there's new oil or they did a sloppy job. On another note I went to the body shop to check out my rig and the scratch they put in it isn't as bad as they made it sound. It's down to the metal in an area about the size of a pin head and there's no metal deformation so it should be an easy fix and I don't have to worry about body filler on the truck.