Oil leaking first oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I was installing my new LEDs today and noticed a bunch of oil all over the bottom of the truck. CV shafts and boots, steering rack and boots, trans pan etc... Checked oil level and it just barely touched the, "add oil" mark on the dip stick. About a half quart low.

I went to the car wash and cleaned the hell out of the underside then went for a drive.

To me it looks like it's coming from the k&n filter. But, it's nice and tight and I always make sure the old filter seal is off before I install the new one. It really looks like it's coming out of the hex head on the end of the filter.

I did a Google search and saw quite a few instances of people having this issue.

Have any of you?

This has me pretty freaked out. Never had an oil filter leak before.

This is the first truck I've owned that still has a warranty as well. So I'm kind of wondering if I should just have the dealership fix it? I just don't know if they will give me hell for the LEDs and my s&b intake. It's cheap enough to just go get a Wix filter or a Mopar. Should I just swap it out myself and keep an eye on it?

MooseKitchen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
So I was installing my new LEDs today and noticed a bunch of oil all over the bottom of the truck. CV shafts and boots, steering rack and boots, trans pan etc... Checked oil level and it just barely touched the, "add oil" mark on the dip stick. About a half quart low.

I went to the car wash and cleaned the hell out of the underside then went for a drive.

To me it looks like it's coming from the k&n filter. But, it's nice and tight and I always make sure the old filter seal is off before I install the new one. It really looks like it's coming out of the hex head on the end of the filter.

I did a Google search and saw quite a few instances of people having this issue.

Have any of you?

This has me pretty freaked out. Never had an oil filter leak before.

This is the first truck I've owned that still has a warranty as well. So I'm kind of wondering if I should just have the dealership fix it? I just don't know if they will give me hell for the LEDs and my s&b intake. It's cheap enough to just go get a Wix filter or a Mopar. Should I just swap it out myself and keep an eye on it?
If it's under warranty, take it in. Find a dealer that you trust though.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it's under warranty, take it in. Find a dealer that you trust though.

Do you think they will give me a headache over the intake and LEDs?

I also forgot to mention I did do a search here. Saw some people had this issue as well.

The filter is very tight and I oiled the seal before install.

MooseKitchen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
No. What do head lights and intake have to do with oil? I am unaware of this issue (mine is 2012), but you shouldn't see any hassles over a k&n and some LEDs.

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No. What do head lights and intake have to do with oil? I am unaware of this issue (mine is 2012), but you shouldn't see any hassles over a k&n and some LEDs.

Ill give it a shot. The dealership isn't too far from my house so it shouldn't be an issue driving it there.

Having a vehicle with a warranty is all new to me. I have very limited knowledge in that department. I don't know if they care if I did the oil change myself or what modifications are allowed.

I did cut into the factory headlight and tail light harnesses and soldered stuff in there. So I figured that would be frowned upon. Thanks for the quick replies.

MooseKitchen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Ill give it a shot. The dealership isn't too far from my house so it shouldn't be an issue driving it there.

Having a vehicle with a warranty is all new to me. I have very limited knowledge in that department. I don't know if they care if I did the oil change myself or what modifications are allowed.

I did cut into the factory headlight and tail light harnesses and soldered stuff in there. So I figured that would be frowned upon. Thanks for the quick replies.
No worries. Be honest with them, if nothing else. It's not like you're trying to scam them.

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No worries. Be honest with them, if nothing else. It's not like you're trying to scam them.

Thanks for help I'll see what they can do for me. Too bad the service department is closed tomorrow. Dang it lol.

I'll report back asap

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can actually over tighten an oil filter. Might be squeezing the seal out the side.

General rule of thumb is, hand tighten until the seal makes contact, then add 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn more. That's it. It will still have some play, but the first time you turn the truck on it will seal itself up.

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can actually over tighten an oil filter. Might be squeezing the seal out the side.

General rule of thumb is, hand tighten until the seal makes contact, then add 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn more. That's it. It will still have some play, but the first time you turn the truck on it will seal itself up.

I did not know that. I cranked down it pretty good. That oil filter was horribly awkward to get to. So I figured a bit tight is better than loose.

I loosened it today just to see how tight it was though. No problem getting it backed off a half turn. Is it possible I still damaged the seal even if I was able to back it off by hand?

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did not know that. I cranked down it pretty good. That oil filter was horribly awkward to get to. So I figured a bit tight is better than loose.

I loosened it today just to see how tight it was though. No problem getting it backed off a half turn. Is it possible I still damaged the seal even if I was able to back it off by hand?

Yeah, it could be deformed now. A filter is like $10 for a decent one. Just buy a new one and try that.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd dump the k&n and get something else. I had one that was leaking at the seal, looked like threads weren't square with base plate and base plate was bottoming out before gasket could get a good seal. I lost a quart of oil in about 12 miles. Replaced it with a Fram Ultra and everything is fine now.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is the one I had that was leaking, you can see where it was running between the inlet and outlet holes about half way around it.8bde1ddd2ebfbd054d50ab9848c38e41.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If the filter is leaking, install a new one and see if it leaks. They are mass produced by the millions maybe you got a bad one. As already stated, go get a Fram, lightly oil the seal, make sure the old seals are off, tighten until it is touching and then another 3/4 turn making sure it spins on easy, no cross threading. Clean off all the oil with the Brake Kleen you got when you bought the new filter and a rag. Run it around the block and check for leaks. I never saw a K&n filter but I don't want one with a plug in it to potentially leak or get loose.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
You are not the first to have (this) issue with the K&N oil filter.

OP
OP
G-Ride990

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks so much for the help and advice.

I went ahead and put a Wix synthetic filter on it. Went for a short drive and there are no leaks so far.

The k&n looks perfect though. Very strange. I've had good luck with them in the past, guess I'll be staying away from them from now on.

I am going to the dealer Wednesday morning for an unrelated issue so I'll ask them about it too

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
If it truly is the filter swap it for a Royal Purple filter, pricy but soild as a rock.

RusslRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went 3-4 oil changes with out any problems with the k&n filter then this(pic). Switched to Royal purple. Only 2 changes but no problem so far.144a9fbc82918d753e043d0b14680d5a.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As stated above - One oil filter company makes damn near all the oil filters- they just make them to the name brands specs- i run the Rp -never any issues-

CoHillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Brand new truck with original factory filter, I had no problems. Three oil changes with aftermarket filter, I was always battling a leaky filter.

I decided to do my own oil change this last time and use a factory filter, so far no leaks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956