Oil life meter won't reset?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hey guys,

So I went to the menu on the dash for the oil life meter to reset it after I did my oil change today. It says on screen to hold the > arrow button to reset. I did and it went to the confirmation screen where I selected OK and hit the > arrow again like it asked. It went back to the oil life meter, but nothing changed. I started the engine after and drove for a while and checked it again after I got back, it still hadn't reset. Tried a few more times, still no go.

Any suggestions on why this isn't working?

Thanks

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I had the same problem, messed with it for 45 minutes and then all of the sudden it reset!

I hate electronics!

OP
OP
Gamester

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I messed with it for a good 20 min with no luck. Would it have anything to do with having a Diablo PCM now possibly?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamester

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Correct

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is this something new on the 16s? Mine you have to push the gas pedal to the floor 3 times within 10 seconds with the engine off and key in Run...

OP
OP
Gamester

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yea, it is new on the '16 only as far as I can tell.

I finally got it to reset, I turned off accessories like the radio and such and cycled through all menus and even the setup page just for the hell of it, then tried again and it worked. Go figure.

Thanks

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I read someone else had this issue, I think the doors have to be closed for the oil life monitor to be reset.

OP
OP
Gamester

Gamester

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The doors were closed all times I tried it.

silver13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
My 13 was the same way. My old 10 was gas peddle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackout15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Glad to hear you were able to reset it.. I have a 2015 Express and I have the option to clear it out in the menu the way you described.. I've also had it reset with the "3 pump pedal method" as directed by the 10 minute oil lube place down the street from me. If you run into this problem again in the future you should try the gas pedal reset method.

Btp 2332

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 14 sport has this option and I had a heck of a time getting it to reset. I think I tried it a couple times before it actually took it. The non fancy models like an express etc that that dont have the option in the cluster push the pedal 3 time method.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Found this thread when googling because I was having the exact same issue.

Since the original posted stated he had it work once he shut some of the accessories off, I figured I would try my luck. With the radio muted and the fan shut off, the oil life reset no problem.

Not sure exactly what combo made it work (or if either of these two actually had anything at all to do with it) but that did the trick for me.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Found this thread when googling because I was having the exact same issue.

Since the original posted stated he had it work once he shut some of the accessories off, I figured I would try my luck. With the radio muted and the fan shut off, the oil life reset no problem.

Not sure exactly what combo made it work (or if either of these two actually had anything at all to do with it) but that did the trick for me.

Yes I had the same problem all accessories have to be shut off. No videos tell you that

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It took me about 20 tries after my last oil change to get it to reset.....frustrating. Not sure why it's so temperamental. The oil change before I was able to reset it on the first attempt.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
It took me about 20 tries after my last oil change to get it to reset.....frustrating. Not sure why it's so temperamental. The oil change before I was able to reset it on the first attempt.
Yes it’s VERY FRUSTRATING!!!

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

That was exactly my scenario.

Mcgruff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I’ll have to try the “accessories off” thing next time. Having had several Chrysler products in the past I was familiar with the pedal method. First oil change it wouldn’t reset though the menu so decided to try it the old way. Worked like a charm so just been doing that ever since. Chalked it up to FCA being FCA.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Is this something new on the 16s? Mine you have to push the gas pedal to the floor 3 times within 10 seconds with the engine off and key in Run...

Nothing new just user error learning how to reset the meter. Problem is you only get another rep at trying to reset it every 5000+ miles. :(

wutech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 16 has to be done with the gas peddle the thing in the IVIC doesn’t do anything.