Oil pressure sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RusslRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trucks CEL light came on so I checked the code and it was a p0520. Took it to the dealer thinking it might be under the powertrain warranty. It wasn't. So they switched it out and told me they had to change the oil because the sensor was reading it was the wrong oil.

I use RP 5w30 and rp oil filter. I had just changed it 600 miles ago.

So my question is what caused it to read "wrong oil" was it the oil or the new sensor. Has anyone had this problem??

Didnt want to take up space in the synthetic oil page. Hopefully some of those regulars will chime in. Just looking for a little piece of mind in my next oil change. All comments and or suggestions are welcome.Thanks in advance

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Interesting, thanks for posting. I would say to answer more thoroughly we need to see if the code stays away with the new oil. There is a TSB Bulletin which involves replacing the oil pressure sending unit, I guess the dealer didn't feel your situation was this. Some guys have changed the sensor, did you happen to see your oil pressure PSI ratings on your evic when you had the CEL? What is it now after the change? Go start your truck and let me know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RusslRam

RusslRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oil pressure is fine now. It was jumping all over when the CEL was on. The light came on a day after I came back from a 500 Mile road trip. Engine was good on the trip and still was fine with light on.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So it is not an oil issue, for the oil pressure to be jumping all over the place it is an oil pressure sensor issue, pretty cut and dry. I bet it is still on the fritz.

Do you happen to remember when the CEL first came on? Was it when you started the truck or as the trip was going?

Last edited:
OP
OP
RusslRam

RusslRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just wondering why it would read wrong oil. Kind of questioning oil choice.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I would set the evic to oil temp on every trip for a while, because the pressure sensor is whack. It is not the oil, this is a known issue, google it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It can't tell what oil you're running,your dealer is giving it you,lol. It's a pressure sensor and that's it. I know the 14's have an updated sensor,as they're known to give trouble.I had to replace mine at about the 28,000 mile mark,it started to read high and was leaking slightly.They just wanted to upcharge you for an oil change.