Oil pressure sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steveo8x8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Truck threw a check engine light and code for a bad oil pressure sensor/sensor yesterday. Anybody else experience this? I have a 2013 ram 1500 express 4x4 5.7l. The oil pressure is constantly reading at 99psi. Truck only has 22k on it and I have an appt on thursday to get it replaced. And anybody know of a good cheap code reader that I could use so if this happens again I can find out what it is right away instead of dropping everything and going to the dealer?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can google the codes- As far as a tool that tells u what code the truck is throwing- I suggest a Diablo tuner with a hemi fever or jay greene tune.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What has anybody done about this, the previous lights? When you are driving down the freeway, 90+ PSI?

What oil are you using? weight? Filter? how long since you changed it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Steveo8x8

Steveo8x8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab
Engine
6.7l Cummins
I had the dealer scan it and they told me the sensor was bad, I use mobil 5w20 synthetic as recommended with a mopar filter. It's at 99 psi constantly both parked and driving. Only 2500 miles since last change. I don't want a tuner I am just looking for a cheap scan tool

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That is a problem that will take many years off the life of that engine, I would force the dealer to fix it. Defintely stay with 20 weight oil. So the dealer fixed the sensor, or just told you it was bad? If they replaced the sensor, and it is still 99 psi, I think you can assume it really is 99 psi. I would hound the dealer til the end of time until they fixed it. No reason you should **** with it with so few miles. gl

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
I don't think it's possible for the pump to build that much pressure, pretty sure it would just break. Didn't see where op said sensor was replaced so I would start there.

I use a DSP Trinity in my truck just because it has that feature but for my other vehicle and buddys' vehicles I use an OTC 3208. Pretty cheap little thing that reads codes, does live data of sensors and also freeze frame capable. Had it a couple years now and works great.

OTC Tools & Equipment 3208 OBD II and ABS Scan Tool

OP
OP
Steveo8x8

Steveo8x8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab
Engine
6.7l Cummins
That is a problem that will take many years off the life of that engine, I would force the dealer to fix it. Defintely stay with 20 weight oil. So the dealer fixed the sensor, or just told you it was bad? If they replaced the sensor, and it is still 99 psi, I think you can assume it really is 99 psi. I would hound the dealer til the end of time until they fixed it. No reason you should **** with it with so few miles. gl

No I have an appt this Thursday with the dealer to have them replace it under warrenty. Normally our trucks run around 60 psi or so.

OP
OP
Steveo8x8

Steveo8x8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab
Engine
6.7l Cummins
I don't think it's possible for the pump to build that much pressure, pretty sure it would just break. Didn't see where op said sensor was replaced so I would start there.

I use a DSP Trinity in my truck just because it has that feature but for my other vehicle and buddys' vehicles I use an OTC 3208. Pretty cheap little thing that reads codes, does live data of sensors and also freeze frame capable. Had it a couple years now and works great.

OTC Tools & Equipment 3208 OBD II and ABS Scan Tool

That's exactly what I'm looking for thanks man

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
oh it's possible to run 99psi. if for some reason the oil pressure relief valve sticks closed, it can run that high. Happened to a friend of mine. His was headed north of 150psi, until it burst the oil filter. It's a pretty funny story, but I don't want to bore those who have read it before.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
oh it's possible to run 99psi. if for some reason the oil pressure relief valve sticks closed, it can run that high. Happened to a friend of mine. His was headed north of 150psi, until it burst the oil filter. It's a pretty funny story, but I don't want to bore those who have read it before.

You perked my interest, pm me or post link. I love a good story

OP
OP
Steveo8x8

Steveo8x8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab
Engine
6.7l Cummins
What could cause it to get stuck closed?

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a cheap reader that will clear codes as well, not for my tuck, to work on other peoples ****.
I got it on sale at advance for like 50 bucks.
My truck oil sending unit failed at 55k, read 99 psi all the time. seems fairly common. don't get to excited/worried.

I bought the unit from the dealer, ( updated number means better part,...uh...right?)

If your having it replaced at the dealer they should clear the light, but if not no worries after three complete run cycles it will clear itself, and your remote start etc. will work again.

PNUTLT1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Truck threw a check engine light and code for a bad oil pressure sensor/sensor yesterday. Anybody else experience this? I have a 2013 ram 1500 express 4x4 5.7l. The oil pressure is constantly reading at 99psi. Truck only has 22k on it and I have an appt on thursday to get it replaced. And anybody know of a good cheap code reader that I could use so if this happens again I can find out what it is right away instead of dropping everything and going to the dealer?

ON my 2014 Ram, the oil pressure sensor went out at i think 13-15k miles.
It was reading 99 psi as well.

I called the dealer and they told me to leave it for a week to fix it.
So i told them to screw off, i bought a OEM sensor from allmoparparts for like $15 i think and put it on myself.
Its been perfect ever since.

OP
OP
Steveo8x8

Steveo8x8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab
Engine
6.7l Cummins
ON my 2014 Ram, the oil pressure sensor went out at i think 13-15k miles.
It was reading 99 psi as well.

I called the dealer and they told me to leave it for a week to fix it.
So i told them to screw off, i bought a OEM sensor from allmoparparts for like $15 i think and put it on myself.
Its been perfect ever since.

you dont have to drain the oil or anything when you remove/install the unit right? any how to's that u know of? there are 2 bronze sensors right there i just want to make sure im looking at removing the correct one

powderbrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It should at least drop in park or speed at a light. Idle is what ...like 140 kpa?? Full bore is something like 380 kpa.

I'm canadian and I can't stand kpa!!!

Curious..where is the oil pressure sensor? Somewhere on the block and not above the pan right?

Rupert

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 big horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
you dont have to drain the oil or anything when you remove/install the unit right? any how to's that u know of? there are 2 bronze sensors right there i just want to make sure im looking at removing the correct one

No need to drain oil ...just let the truck sit for a bit before you start. have a rag handy you may have to wipe up a bit of oil after you remove the old one.

Now that I think about it...be sure to buy the correct oil PSI socket ( take your new sending unit to the auto parts store and make sure, although the sending unit socket it is a pretty standard size). DO NOT try this without one or use a standard deep socket/ wrench, you will be awhile.

The new sending unit looks like the bad one you are replacing, so not to worry about replacing the wrong one...the connectors are different as well.

I cant remember how the unit is situated, I'd go look but its raining, I THINK it faces forward. its above the oil filter.

GL hope this helps

OP
OP
Steveo8x8

Steveo8x8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab
Engine
6.7l Cummins
No need to drain oil ...just let the truck sit for a bit before you start. have a rag handy you may have to wipe up a bit of oil after you remove the old one.

Now that I think about it...be sure to buy the correct oil PSI socket ( take your new sending unit to the auto parts store and make sure, although the sending unit socket it is a pretty standard size). DO NOT try this without one or use a standard deep socket/ wrench, you will be awhile.

The new sending unit looks like the bad one you are replacing, so not to worry about replacing the wrong one...the connectors are different as well.

I cant remember how the unit is situated, I'd go look but its raining, I THINK it faces forward. its above the oil filter.

GL hope this helps

Perfect thanks man! The one facing forward is the one I was thinking of as well!