Oil temps for 180° Tstat owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Paluby

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Then try 195 and notice how the fan stays on forever also.

So 196 is your answer. Like it, love it, hate it...

I do this for a living and have tested pretty much every option. But by all means prove it for yourself if you must.

Great. Thank you so much for giving me that option.

OP
OP
Paluby

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you were going to test it anyway and reject the correct answer... Why the thread?

I'm starting to get the feeling that you can't let something go. The thread was intended for people to post what they set their fans at. Not for people to tell others to do it their way and that other people's way was wrong. While I appreciate your input I don't enjoy being told that I'm wrong when in fact I drove into work today set at 191* and my fan never even came on since our temps were low here in Alaska this morning but still somehow managed to be pouring rain.

I've already set my fan at 196* I know it works consistently regardless of temps. Just trying different fan temps out and correlating oil temps.

Let it be.

OP
OP
Paluby

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Their way?

For the 2014+ Rams there is a right way and a wrong way period.

196 F or 91 C or higher is the correct and only way without causing potential damage to the fan.

Its hardwired bud this is the answer and only answer. Why fight it?

My post was to help you and others know the correct way to do it. Isn't that what a forum is for helping others? Chasing different fan temps when there is only one answer is pointless and may mislead others.

You said you do this for a living. And earlier signed the name Jay, so is it a stretch to assume you are Jay Greene?

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So for my 13', what temp do you recommend setting my fans to??? Like I said , I have them set to ~194-195 haven't had any issues and the fan isn't on all the time. Is there a perfect number???

OP
OP
Paluby

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So for my 13', what temp do you recommend setting my fans to??? Like I said , I have them set to ~194-195 haven't had any issues and the fan isn't on all the time. Is there a perfect number???

Are you looking for performance?

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 CC 4x4 Laramie AirRide
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Changed to the 180 TStat on my 2016. Still have clutch fan. Idle temp coolant 186 oil temp 188. Highway with grille shutters still all in. 200 coolant temp 210 oil. On highway before TStat it was 209 coolant and 222 oil temp. Will update when I take out a couple grill shutter and take off the clutch fan.

OP
OP
Paluby

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Changed to the 180 TStat on my 2016. Still have clutch fan. Idle temp coolant 186 oil temp 188. Highway with grille shutters still all in. 200 coolant temp 210 oil. On highway before TStat it was 209 coolant and 222 oil temp. Will update when I take out a couple grill shutter and take off the clutch fan.

Nice!! Glad you posted up your prior temps. I couldn't remember what my temps were before I deleted the clutch fan and changed to 180* Tstat.

I just swapped to honeycomb grille and removed the majority of the shutters on Saturday. Definitely can see the radiator a lot easier.

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice!! Glad you posted up your prior temps. I couldn't remember what my temps were before I deleted the clutch fan and changed to 180* Tstat.

I just swapped to honeycomb grille and removed the majority of the shutters on Saturday. Definitely can see the radiator a lot easier.

How was it taking out the shutters? Were you able to remove some and keep them intact for later re-install?

OP
OP
Paluby

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How was it taking out the shutters? Were you able to remove some and keep them intact for later re-install?

Yeah for sure. I removed the grille and than four bolts, near all four corners, on the shutter assembly and bam had perfect access to the individual shutters. I took the main middle piece off that attaches to all of the individual shutters first, than using a screw driver was able to separate each shutter from the outside frame.

I left two in there, one on top and one the opposite side bottom, and put the middle piece back on but it only connected to the two left.

Took me probably five minutes total.

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice that and the clutch fan is on my to do list for the weekend.

OP
OP
Paluby

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice that and the clutch fan is on my to do list for the weekend.

If you have one awesome but otherwise I'd recommend a clutch fan wrench. Can rent them for cheap or free at most auto places.

Joshwaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did the same thing on my 05 Ram 1500. Used a large crescent wrench I have and a pulley tool from Pep Boys. I might try just the wrench first as my truck only has 1200mi but I am guessing I will have to go get the tool. Is it possible to drop the clutch fan out the bottom without taking the entire shroud off? Maybe just taking the bottom half cover thingy off.

OP
OP
Paluby

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did the same thing on my 05 Ram 1500. Used a large crescent wrench I have and a pulley tool from Pep Boys. I might try just the wrench first as my truck only has 1200mi but I am guessing I will have to go get the tool. Is it possible to drop the clutch fan out the bottom without taking the entire shroud off? Maybe just taking the bottom half cover thingy off.

Sure looks like you should be able to. I had the shroud off anyhow cause I did the thermostat and ATI UD pulley at the same time. But yeah that bottom portion when you pull it off it should give you enough room.

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been using hemifever since I got my truck in 13'. Just got the new tune since I did the headers still gotta log all the data and get em custom written

OP
OP
Paluby

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh sweet. I would honestly recommend just talking with Sean. He will give you the setting point after you do the logging data. Make sure he knows what degree thermostat you have and actually may just program it into the custom tune for ya.

Ronan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea man, that's my plan, wondering if it should change with the season too

OP
OP
Paluby

Paluby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea man, that's my plan, wondering if it should change with the season too

That was actually what sparked me to start playing with it. It's so cold here in the winter and so much warmer in the summer. Like today set at 191° on my 60 mile commute to work the fan never even came on. Oil temps never crossed 190° and coolant temps never left 185°.