Oils with Moly, help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fergeson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trying to figure out which oils that I can buy locally have moly in them. Pennzoil, Mobil 1, Castrol, Amsoil? Trying not to special order oil every time I want to go an change it... But will use Redline if I can't get anything over the counter

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yes shaeffers inc are pioneers in moly for sure, Syn has posted the moly bible from their website I believe. With h395's success with an oil combo that has less moly then Redline, Shaeffers in theory would be a great choice to combat hemi tick. The guy who started Bob's was I believe a sales person for Shaeffers or at least had a good relationship with them.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Ultimate both made by Shell. I wonder why the QS gets so much more moly? Is the QSUD also FCA certified by chance?

Wait a second, I see there seems to be a difference in the QSUD. The one posted in the Hemi395's link shows way more moly than the one in Burla's link. The only difference seems to the be "Dexos 1" on the label.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
One weakness of PQIA is they seam to test once and that's it, but oil formulations always change. It is just one tool to use, a UOA is another. I also don't see a date on the other sample. It is kind of a bummer if you are picking an oil for Hemi tick and you don't know the moly level. If h395's post is accurate of QSUD currently, it may be one of the best formulas out there. Look up recent uoa's if you want th story of which one is the correct current formula qsud.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think that's just the differences in formulation. In the link I posted, the qsud was purchased​ on 12/28/2015. The one Burla posted was from 2013 I believe. And qsud may have changed again. Only way to k ow for sure is to do a voa on a new bottle.

As Burla mentioned, oils are continually being reformulated due to a number of reasons but mainly cost. Then there's other variables such as additive availability, additive supplier changes, market price changes, etc.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The sad truth is most people dont even know what oil is in their cars, nevermind what viscosity it is. So if those people see an oil for more money than a regular oil at the quick lube place, they'll most likely just pick the cheapest oil they offer.

Also Pennzoil has not marketed PUP very well at all. I recently went to a local AutoZone that Pennzoils own website stated sells PUP. Pup was nowhere to be seen. I asked and they guy looked at me like I had 3 heads. He then hands me PP and said "eh there's no real difference".