Open differentials

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TAS69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hello All,
This is my first post as I've only recently ordered my 2017 Tradesman 2500 4WD crew cab.
Discovered only today that my truck was ordered without LSD front and rear. Salesman claimed that all 4WD Rams were LSD's. I became convinced he was mistaken and he admitted his mistake several phone calls later.
Only silver lining I can find is that a helical unit can be installed instead of the clutch pack deal the factory would have used. Does anyone have any information that might be helpful in finding parts through Easton or Detroit for the axle/ housing on my series truck? Incase it matters I'm running 3.73 gears. Thanks in advance!
Tom.

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can't the salesman CHANGE the order so you don't have the added expenses as well as potential non warranty issues? You said "recently" ordered. Seems like it's his eff up and his responsibility to fix the problem even if there is a change in the price.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Can't the salesman CHANGE the order so you don't have the added expenses as well as potential non warranty issues? You said "recently" ordered. Seems like it's his eff up and his responsibility to fix the problem even if there is a change in the price.

If he can't, they need to order a new one. This sounds like their mistake 100%. No way would I take delivery of a vehicle I ordered unless it had everything I expected.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

+1 also change to 4:10s while your at it.
Limited slip on front is not available though

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I am pretty sure that on he HD's they are indeed a helical unit not a clutch pack design anyway. So if it was me I would get the right gears probably the lowest (numerically higher) and the LSD you want. It will be best for cost, warranty and pain free. Switching gears has its own pains and the lack of warranty will probably bite you in the ass. Just make them change it or reorder plain and simple. Please I beg you.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am pretty sure that on he HD's they are indeed a helical unit not a clutch pack design anyway. So if it was me I would get the right gears probably the lowest (numerically higher) and the LSD you want. It will be best for cost, warranty and pain free. Switching gears has its own pains and the lack of warranty will probably bite you in the ass. Just make them change it or reorder plain and simple. Please I beg you.

Correct the HDs are a helical unit, no clutch packs

OP
OP
T

TAS69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
We're almost 5 weeks into this deal and we ordered truck with sales manager. I was attempting to go tradesman to keep cost down. Stressed as much at the time. Considered having service dept ad clutch packs or what not upon delivery as if it was a warranty rebuild. Maybe make enough stink that that do work at cost. Although in truth he's just an aging salesman and I should have done more homework instead of being focused on getting into a new truck for under $35,000 out the door.
Sales manager already orders a second truck on my behalf after discovering 6.4 hemis were getting better mileage than 5.7's . The truck is priced more than $7000.00 under invoice as this dealership in middle Tennessee is making bank purely on volume. Think the Helical type deals are VASTLY superior to the clutch style anyhow

OP
OP
T

TAS69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Didn't realize they were helical from factory.

OP
OP
T

TAS69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Guess I'll have to call the manager in the morning and see what that can accomplish in service.
Don't see need go 4.10 gear rarely pull much more than small skid loader .

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Guess I'll have to call the manager in the morning and see what that can accomplish in service.
Don't see need go 4.10 gear rarely pull much more than small skid loader .

I have 4:10s in my truck, even empty I don't think I would want anything higher. At 70 mph I think I run around 1800 rpms in 6th.
5th and 6th are both OD ratios. I hate when vehicles downshift all the time on any little incline. 4:10s do pretty well.
If I towed more often I would rather have 4:56 if they were available.
4:10s are about perfect for me, probably 50% empty 50% towing a 7500LBS travel trailer

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have never seen anyone on here go to a higher gear set. We always go lower because the downshifting bs just destroys the truck and is annoying. I personally have 4.56 and love them but if you can get 4.10 factory setup with warranty that is cheapest tranny and pleasure insurance there is. Lower geared trucks make the tranny have an easier life. RPMs are not that much higher and you don't see much difference on fuel either. Like I said don't let them bully you into taking their mistake. Walk away if you have to.

OP
OP
T

TAS69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I'm going to try and make nice before I walk. They have $1000.00 deposit and as I mentioned they are the most affordable dealership in the entire region to my knowledge. If we can make the truck that I've ordered right (preferably through their service dept) and keep my warranty intact I'll have to live with the 3.73 I can always lock out 6 th on holly interstates or slower highways.
I appreciate all the feedback.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Definitely change your order. After having owned 2 Ram's with open diff's, I will never do it again. I passed on many nice trucks because they didn't have limited slip.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I agree with those saying they should order you a new truck. Perhaps you should have done more homework but if you asked him about the option and he told you it was standard thats on them. Dealers these days do not care if their salesmen even know the product they are selling and its rediculous. And the guy should have double checked for you before ordering. He should have given you a priced order confirmation build sheet. The LSD would show up on there as a cost option.

Id never want to dig into modifying a brand new truck because some crappy salesman. But this is exactly why we as buyers need to arm ourselves to the teeth with knowledge going in.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Get the biggest engine that you can.

Get the lowest factory gears available. (You can always put on taller tires)

Get the LSD rear end, and a locker up front if possible.

Bite the bullet. Hold your nose if you have to. But don't go skimpy on a large purchase like s truck. Spend a little extra, and get what you want, in the first place. It's the cheapest thing, in the long run, that you can do.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I could go back to donit different I would of sacrificed in trim lvl and got a cumins.
I wish I had 456 or 488 gears.. I live in the mountains and my mds only activates on down hill slopes lol, if I had 456 or 488"s it would activate a lot more and would hold a gear longer - Sont get me wrong I love my truck, but if I had it to do over again, I would do it different. So moral of the story - get what you want.

OP
OP
T

TAS69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Good news I think.
The general manager is going to sell the truck that was ordered and sell me a very similar white tradesman 2500 with LSD4WD . Additionally it will have 5th wheel prep , led bed lights , back up camera and heavy duty service group.
This truck is one of 6 that is coming in the next 2 weeks. They are all identical. The buyer for the dealership was helping and explained that he NEVER ordered heavy duty trucks without LSD.
The hapless salesman must have assumed that Dodge/Rams were all made without open rear ends?! Buyer beware! 3.73 is only gear he orders for 6.4 Hemi trucks.