Overheating Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

thetrinidad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6 speed correct? Mine never runs above 150, unless it's hot and towing then it gets up to 180-190, once to 205.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Yes 6 speed it will get up 158 when its hot in idle most I have ever seen was 185 while towing 6000lbs. Its weird because it will take a while to go over 185 and doesn't cool it down. Haven't checked the cooler if it is clogged. Will write back once I check.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes 6 speed it will get up 158 when its hot in idle most I have ever seen was 185 while towing 6000lbs. Its weird because it will take a while to go over 185 and doesn't cool it down. Haven't checked the cooler if it is clogged. Will write back once I check.

I used to own a Ford 6.0 and the oil cooler would get plugged because of this issue. IMO, if the heater is actuated by a valve and not actually always open. I would maybe not run the heater so you don't dislodge crap and plug the heater core, someone could chime in if I'm wrong.

OP
OP
T

thetrinidad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bet your tranny cooler is plug. If the coolant was as dirty as it was, when you flushed it it probably caused grime to be released and turned to mud and plugged the cooler.

Try flushing it again with chemicals (flush cleaner) motorcraft makes a good one... If it doesn't fix it I would try replacing the trans cooler.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk
I flushed out the tranny cooler and still have same issue.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I flushed out the tranny cooler and still have same issue.

Did the dealer do those repairs? If they did and they "flushed" the coolant.
I would ask for my money back... And redo everything they did. If the coolant they "flushed" is any indication of there quality of work, probably not done right.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Easily over looked is the radiator cap. No kidding, if they didn't replace it when they replaced radiator it may have prolonged your pain.

Its spring loaded to release pressure in an over heat, and getting to 221 F shows your system is holding some pressure, but if the cap were simmering you could be loosing pressure containment in turn allowing your coolant to flash off.

Worth looking anyway.

A few months back I bought my daughter a 2003 Durango SLT Plus with the 4.7. It started over heating on her and I topped of the coolant and idled it for a long time and temp stayed perfect. But, soon as I brought the RPM's higher coolant started gushing from the cap. So, as Casper says, replace it.

OP
OP
T

thetrinidad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A few months back I bought my daughter a 2003 Durango SLT Plus with the 4.7. It started over heating on her and I topped of the coolant and idled it for a long time and temp stayed perfect. But, soon as I brought the RPM's higher coolant started gushing from the cap. So, as Casper says, replace it.
Enginge runs cool now and the cap was replaced since day one. Forgot to put that in the list. Just having problems with tranny now. Don't trust the dealer now as they were just a pain in the ass. And did not want to give back my money.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Enginge runs cool now and the cap was replaced since day one. Forgot to put that in the list. Just having problems with tranny now. Don't trust the dealer now as they were just a pain in the ass. And did not want to give back my money.

Try checking with friends and family regarding local independent transmission shops that have may have had positive experience with.