Owners of 18" Magnaflow...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UDCentaur

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Besides possibly wanting the shorter and louder 14" Magnaflow...do any of you regret getting your 18" Magnaflow??

I'm pretty set on the 18" with two kids (2 years and 2 months) I want to limit my cabin drone/MDS issue noises, but just seeing if there are any other issues I may be missing before taking into the shop this week for the install.

Btw- thanks to all for the Exhaust sticky thread for all the advice and clips. Made the decision a lot easier.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nope! Its absolutely perfect! My 3 month old loves it! He has ever since coming home from the hospital. He'll go right to sleep in the truck, but throws a fit riding in the quiet Durango. You won't be disappointed.

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Besides possibly wanting the shorter and louder 14" Magnaflow...do any of you regret getting your 18" Magnaflow??

I'm pretty set on the 18" with two kids (2 years and 2 months) I want to limit my cabin drone/MDS issue noises, but just seeing if there are any other issues I may be missing before taking into the shop this week for the install.

Btw- thanks to all for the Exhaust sticky thread for all the advice and clips. Made the decision a lot easier.
My $. 02. Don't let me sway you at all. Just my take.

I put on the 18" boeschbuilt kit (magnaflow muffler). It's definitely loader than stock and got louder once broken in.

I have 2013 CC 4x4 8 speed with 3.21 gears.

With the crew cab the muffler is under the back seat. Other cab lengths I believe the muffler is move under the bed of the truck.

There is drone/engine noise @1500-1900 rpms. With mds off its not as noticable, but its there. Cruising above 62 mph I have to shift into 7th to up the rpms to 2000 and the cabin noise is gone. Going up a slight incline I have to manually downshift to also up the rpms.

When I am alone it doesn't bother me much.

The sound is good when you give it gas, but the 1500-1900 rpms is getting annoying. I have about 20,000 on the muffler and just dealing with the sound because work is only 10 minutes away.

When I am with the wife and kids I try to keep the rpms in check to reduce the cabin noise.

I have read that the 22 inch magnaflow has a wider body so there is less noise in the cab.
d3da08cf7817a6b253336c30a88d3f18.png

Last edited:

socalledchad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have mixed feelings with mine...i almost think stock sounded better at idle.....it definitely opens up and sounds great when I get in the gas some and I want to hear the rumble. ..with the family in the car I still like it getting up to speed. ..but when on the hwy with the family I wish it was a little less rumble. ..I guess you can't have it all..just my opinion

OP
OP
U

UDCentaur

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
My $. 02. Don't let me sway you at all. Just my take.

I put on the 18" boeschbuilt kit (magnaflow muffler). It's definitely loader than stock and got louder once broken in.

I have 2013 CC 4x4 8 speed with 3.21 gears.

With the crew cab the muffler is under the back seat. Other cab lengths I believe the muffler is move under the bed of the truck.

There is drone/engine noise @1500-1900 rpms. With mds off its not as noticable, but its there. Cruising above 62 mph I have to shift into 7th to up the rpms to 2000 and the cabin noise is gone. Going up a slight incline I have to manually downshift to also up the rpms.

When I am alone it doesn't bother me much.

The sound is good when you give it gas, but the 1500-1900 rpms is getting annoying. I have about 20,000 on the muffler and just dealing with the sound because work is only 10 minutes away.

When I am with the wife and kids I try to keep the rpms in check to reduce the cabin noise.

I have read that the 22 inch magnaflow has a wider body so there is less noise in the cab.

Yeah I have a 2015, 8 speed, 4x4 CC as well with 3.21 gears. I did not think about the CC and the muffler location.

Do you use the radio at all? I also usually drive with the radio on...but with the family who knows - depends on if the 2 year old is awake or not. Wondering if the radio will reduce the annoying drone sound.

The whole drone noise issue is why I'm staying away from the 14, but I really don't want to back down to the 22 due to the fact members state it's very similar to stock and waste of money. (Of course that could be the 24 mufflex kit too).

Just when you think you have it all figured out...may be the shop can hold her at those RPMs why on the rack and I could see if it bothered me?? Not normal driving conditions tho in a shop.

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I have a 2015, 8 speed, 4x4 CC as well with 3.21 gears. I did not think about the CC and the muffler location.

Do you use the radio at all? I also usually drive with the radio on...but with the family who knows - depends on if the 2 year old is awake or not. Wondering if the radio will reduce the annoying drone sound.

The whole drone noise issue is why I'm staying away from the 14, but I really don't want to back down to the 22 due to the fact members state it's very similar to stock and waste of money. (Of course that could be the 24 mufflex kit too).

Just when you think you have it all figured out...may be the shop can hold her at those RPMs why on the rack and I could see if it bothered me?? Not normal driving conditions tho in a shop.
After doing my research I went with the happy medium between the 14,18, and 24. After the fact and owning the 18 now for a while and doing more reading the 24 drones also with and without mds on. I really think it depends on rear gears, cab length, and also personal taste with the definition off drone.

I always have the radio on in the truck with and without passengers. Most of time with passengers the radio is low (6-10 with uConnect 5.0). You can still hear the noise under load or at 1500 rpms.

It seems most of the time when I am at a constant speed the truck runs at 1500 rpms and that is where the cab noise is high.

Each truck is different and everyone taste is different. Maybe drive around some and take a look at where you rpms are.

I have been thinking of either going with the 22 or finding someone with a stock muffler that they don't use anymore.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I had the 18" single in / dual out on my 3rd gen MegaCan with the 5.7L HEMI and loved the sound. At around 1800 RPM cruising in full auto I got a little drone but I just turned up the tunes and it went away.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I have the 18" full cat back system with a Mopar Performance intake. I think it is perfect. Only a slightly irritating noise at a certain RPM when MDS kicks in, but i always disable it unless Im cruising on the highway. The truck sounds much louder at cold start and under WOT than at stock and has a nice deep but clean sound. It is definitely a distinct Hemi tone. Everywhere else it is just loud enough but not to the point where it will even be noticeable after you get used to it for a few days. The truck makes a great sound and occasional burble now when decelerating with the transmission braking the engine. I went with the 18 because I wanted a middle ground and I think it is just that. It is mean when you want it to be and a nice mellow grumble all other times. Not sure if the full MF cat back setup sounds much different than just the MF muffler on stock pipes but it might. IDK. I did the cat back first and added the Mopar intake after and it made it a little more aggressive, especially at cold start and WOT. Sometimes I do wish it sounded a little more like my 392 Hemi but no regrets from me lol.

Last edited:

bassheadhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Love mine

Drone was a problem when the truck was loaded, but alone in the truck it wasn't bad. I've added a J-pipe before the muffler and it took car of the drone.

Personally I prefer the sound without the resonator

Here you can compare both

With resonator
[yt]QkmFK81QQfI[/yt]

Without
[yt]TYYdWLitdQI[/yt]

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
there is only so much research you can do. I heard so many conflicting accounts about too loud, not loud enough, too much drone, etc before buying my muffler that I wasn't sure what to go with. No regrets with the 18" maggie/

Trykonkid11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No regrets here. I had it on my '11 and now my '14 (same one, swapped it out before trade in) 1500. Loud enough to hear it, but not to loud that you can still have a conversation over it. I will have it on all my trucks from here on out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jake91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got the 22 with resonator delete. I wish it was a bit louder on idle but it's perfect otherwise. You can here it great in the cab when accelerating but at cruising its nice and quite.

http://youtu.be/K8ZLh2vfqt4

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the 18 Maggie on both my 2010 and 2013. Both sounded OK, some drone in the cab but just like many others sounded like **** when MDS kicked in on the highway. On my 2016 I put a 22" Maggie on and am a lot happier about the sound, not as much drone inside. Surprisingly enough, the biggest change is when I put on Moe's 5" tips. The sound got a lot deeper with more of a rumble to it. I'm more than happy now.
Jay

Pmexpert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 SRT
Love my 18'' Boeschbilt kit and as several guys here installed J-pipe to avoid small drone I faced after install.

OP
OP
U

UDCentaur

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Thank you all for your comments. I wanted to give you all an update and for anyone else looking at a new Magnaflow muffler my results.

The muffler shop only had a 2.5 inlet 18 muffler in stock when I got in...the guy said he could expand it, but I was a little concerned about the 1/2" difference (maybe it wouldn't have matter). Anyway- they also had the 24" (12388) in stock so I listen to both exhaust and yes the 18" was a notch or two louder, but there wasn't a whole lot of difference on the rack between the two. I went ahead and told him to put the 24" on it (I thought I could always delete the resonators later for more sound). After install he drove it around and hit the throttle and it sounded very nice. Nothing else was done except muffler swap. Like many said before it has a nice deep sound WOT and zero cabin noise while cruzing at any RPMs. I'm very impressed - now my Ram sounds like a Ram! Again, my younger high school self would have probably wanted a louder sound, but now in my 30's with a family I'm happy with the result. My wife definitely noticed the difference but was pleased it is quite for the longer road trips on open highway :)

Maybe I'll look into the tips from Moe's in the future, but I'm looking at a few mods in the near future.

Again thank you to all who replied and maybe someone will read this and be a review that helps them decide. As dkmesa said, there is only so much research you can do...I recommend go to the local muffler shop or ask a friend who has one and listen. All the YouTube videos really don't do them justice!

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you all for your comments. I wanted to give you all an update and for anyone else looking at a new Magnaflow muffler my results.

The muffler shop only had a 2.5 inlet 18 muffler in stock when I got in...the guy said he could expand it, but I was a little concerned about the 1/2" difference (maybe it wouldn't have matter). Anyway- they also had the 24" (12388) in stock so I listen to both exhaust and yes the 18" was a notch or two louder, but there wasn't a whole lot of difference on the rack between the two. I went ahead and told him to put the 24" on it (I thought I could always delete the resonators later for more sound). After install he drove it around and hit the throttle and it sounded very nice. Nothing else was done except muffler swap. Like many said before it has a nice deep sound WOT and zero cabin noise while cruzing at any RPMs. I'm very impressed - now my Ram sounds like a Ram! Again, my younger high school self would have probably wanted a louder sound, but now in my 30's with a family I'm happy with the result. My wife definitely noticed the difference but was pleased it is quite for the longer road trips on open highway :)

Maybe I'll look into the tips from Moe's in the future, but I'm looking at a few mods in the near future.

Again thank you to all who replied and maybe someone will read this and be a review that helps them decide. As dkmesa said, there is only so much research you can do...I recommend go to the local muffler shop or ask a friend who has one and listen. All the YouTube videos really don't do them justice!
Great to hear your happy with the 24!!
e704888ab25dc47a18859ba59db5b0a4.jpg

Last edited: