p0733 third gear ration incorrect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

taman86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
from what I have been reading since my damn truck has finally thrown a the third gear is probably toast. I don't get it. same tranny, almost same engine as a third gen, less problems in a third gen. I had an 05 ram for a year before trading it in for this 09 and that truck had nearly 100,000 miles and ran strong as can be. I am kind of pissed. wth did dodge do from the third gen to the fourth to make these trannies have so many problems? this seems to be a fairly common problem for this truck and toasting OD gears. WITH OR WITH OUT a tuner. I think I might talk to my independent shop and have them use my aftermarket warranty check to buy a performance tranny.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
Sorry to hear that man! Keep us posted on how it turns out.

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damn, sorry to hear that man... How many miles are on it now and are you running a tuner?
Does the 09 have the 5yr/100k mile powertrain warranty?

OP
OP
T

taman86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yes I have a tuner but it started having problems just before I put my tuner on. 67500 miles. I bought it from car max same place I got my 05 hemi ram from last year and traded it in for this 09. I bought an aftermarket warranty with the truck. same with the 05 and used it last year to rebuild my front end on the 05. a couple things dodge is known for; a powerful engine, ****** transmissions, and crappy front end designs that need to be rebuilt every 50k miles.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
Make sure you reset to original tune before you go in to the stealership. Don't give them any reason not to fix your ride...

jcat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
yet another reason not to buy the first year of a new/redesigned model. Sorry to hear about it man hopefully it gets fixed up.

OP
OP
T

taman86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
and yet still uses the previous years tranny

OP
OP
T

taman86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So last week I took the tuner off to prep for the dealership appointment that I ended up canceling on Friday. I took it off so I can get the tranny to act up so it will throw another code and have it as a stored code. Well here is the crazy thing, the tranny started to shift better, no slipping or delay in between shifts except for the park to reverse or drive. So with the tuner on it was causing the slipping between second and third. I am gonna try it again and see what happens. I think I am going to call diablo sport since it should not have anything to do with the tranny according to other posts so then why is it affecting the tranny.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Was is one of the DS canned tunes you used?
I just heard this same slippage complaint from a guy with a SC tuner (when he removed it, it stopped slipping as well).
Please keep us up to date.

OP
OP
T

taman86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
just an update to this topic, a couple weeks after I had the updates done the truck started to slip in the 2-3 shift and slammed hard into 3rd and got a p0733. I took off the tuner and the problem seemed to go a way for a couple weeks after this incident. well last week I took the truck into the dealership again just to have the tranny inspected for warranty purposes and they had it for a week. I got it back Friday and this what they had to say:

slipping in 1-2 gears and 2-3 gears. low line pressure codes. transmission overheated while testing which is abnormal. pump is making noises. clutch material in pan. for a complete reman transmission kit; valve body, solenoid packs, torque converter among other things; 5400 bucks 3700 to rebuild and buy all those.

so I have a buddy that works at a local repair shop and having worked at repair shops, they don't do tranny rebuilds. no money in it and takes too long, they will order a tranny but they have to tear down the tranny to find the problem for the adjuster. the adjuster will then cut the shop a check for the necessary repairs. with that being said my buddy and the shop owner will use the check to buy a performance tranny since the stock ones are garbage...

as for the tuner, it really is hard to tell whether the tuner caused the issue or if it may have caused the problem to come to a head.