PCM swap trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JCam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I received my unlocked PCM from Diablo today. I installed the unlocked PCM, fired up the truck and immediately received a check Electronic Throttle Control notification and then the truck died. Has anyone else had this issue with unlocked PCM's? Also, my Trinity is not equipped with a model year selection for 2017. I am assuming there is software I need to download but I did not find it on Diablo's site. Anyone else running a tune on their 2017?
I have a 2017 Ram 1500 4x4, 5.7 with 8 speed.

Robocop_9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you disconnect the battery during install?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

JCam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did not. First thing I thought about after I did it. I read that it was not absolutely necessary. I hope that is true and there is no damage to my PCM.

OP
OP
J

JCam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It is such a quick step I should've done it just to be safe. I am an idiot.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had similar issues. First I had ordered the PCM / i2 combo. Had nothing but crashes with it, so I returned it and got a 2nd Trinity. It didn't list 2017 either. So I downloaded the latest RAM compatible CROM file (v-1r13g) listed on their website. Updated the Trinity, and then it let me select 2017. Dan in tech sup told me that isn't the right one. I said look at the list. Then he hung up on me. Great support, not! However returning the PCM to default wouldn't allow my truck to idle, or run if I put it in D. It would just die. That's why I had called them in the first place. I figured I needed a different calibration. He said no. But with a canned tune or my custom tunes from Johan the unlocked PCM works fine. I also kept the OEM PCM just in case I had issues.

Hope you get it figured out!

wink

OP
OP
J

JCam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So you had to install the tune for the PCM to work properly and your truck to run? Are you happy with the changes now that you have everything worked out?

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So you had to install the tune for the PCM to work properly and your truck to run? Are you happy with the changes now that you have everything worked out?

Yeah, whatever calibration is in the unlocked PCM is definitely not right for my 2017. I think my arguing with Dan about that was what pissed him off. Or maybe he was just menstrual that day. ;) But with a tune loaded, everything works as it's supposed to in the truck. Haven't had any issues with the unlocked PCM since loading that CROM and a custom tune. But I know if I have to reset it back to default it won't run. That's why I kept the OEM unit. BTW, it had both a canned tune and a custom tune loaded from the i2 before I returned it. It ran fine with those too, it's just the i2 was dysfunctional in my case.

wink

OP
OP
J

JCam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, whatever calibration is in the unlocked PCM is definitely not right for my 2017. I think my arguing with Dan about that was what pissed him off. Or maybe he was just menstrual that day. ;) But with a tune loaded, everything works as it's supposed to in the truck. Haven't had any issues with the unlocked PCM since loading that CROM and a custom tune. But I know if I have to reset it back to default it won't run. That's why I kept the OEM unit. BTW, it had both a canned tune and a custom tune loaded from the i2 before I returned it. It ran fine with those too, it's just the i2 was dysfunctional in my case.

wink
Cool, thank you for the information. Maybe I won't have to deal with tech support.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Cool, thank you for the information. Maybe I won't have to deal with tech support.

No prob! If you do have to call support, ask for Mike. He's been there a long time and knows their stuff.

wink

OP
OP
J

JCam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update

Well, here is an update on the situation. After calling tech support twice today getting somewhat similar and yet different answers the new PCM still causes my truck to die and throws the check electronic throttle control warning and now also throws the check electronic brake warning.
I updated the Trinity device and now have the option to choose 2017 year model but when I go through the prompts to select vehicle the only option I end up with is 2014-2015 Dodge, Crysler, Jeep. Any clues on this?

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Two different answers is not real confidence inspiring... They shouldn't make this stuff so difficult and confusing. So I took pics of all the pertinent things in my Trinity, and mine works fine. Of course it still won't run without a tune loaded into the unlocked PCM. I believe they don't have an actual 2017 calibration. That's just speculation on my part, but I quit worrying about that. I'll always have a tune loaded so I don't care anymore.

I believe Dan said I needed the "E" CROM file, but can't remember for sure. Told him I downloaded the "G" version, loaded it, and it works fine. The earlier version that was in the Trinity didn't show Ram. Had to pick Dodge, and it only showed up to 2015.

Here's the Show Info screen under the Options menu.

Show_Info.jpg

Here are the Select Vehicle screens.

Select_Vehicle_1.jpg

Select_Vehicle_2.jpg

Select_Vehicle_3.jpg

Select_Vehicle_4.jpg

Here are the OEM and unlocked PCMs. Top is OEM. That label they stuck on it is from when they activated my navigation at the dealer.

RamPCMs.jpg

The CROM file I downloaded was named "trinity_diablo_dcx_gas-1r13g_update.crom".

Sorry the images are large, but I wanted to make sure it was readable.

Hope this gets you, and anyone else struggling with this issue, going!

wink

OP
OP
J

JCam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I appreciate the pictures, that does help. So everything looks the same for me. The weird part comes when it shows a long list of vehicles compatible then comes the screen showing 2014-2015 Dodge, Crysler, Jeep truck.
So your truck ran poorly before the tune but after installing the tune it lined out. I almost loaded a tune just to see what happened but admittedly got a little worried about messing the engine up. I have used tuners for quite awhile now and never felt like I was going to damage my vehicle.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It would kind of rough idle, but as soon as you put it in "D" it would die. Loaded a tune and all was well. Reverted back to default, same issue. That's why I called tech supp. Figured I had the wrong calibration. That's even what the website says to do, and that it may download a new calibration on it's own. It never did, and DS says there is no other calibration. So it's completely useless without a tune loaded. At least that's how it seems at this point for 2017s.

If yours isn't running now, try a tune. If it doesn't work, you're no worse off than now. It won't hurt your engine. If it runs, drive it around a bit and make sure everything works. That's what I did. If it still doesn't work, you may need to return it. They are pretty good about returns.

Good luck!

wink

OP
OP
J

JCam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds good. I will give that a go tomorrow. Thanks for all the information! I have a feeling this will come in handy for others soon.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds good. I will give that a go tomorrow. Thanks for all the information! I have a feeling this will come in handy for others soon.

Good deal! Let us know how it goes...

wink

OP
OP
J

JCam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, installed the tune and problems persist. I guess I will be sending the PCM back.

CTD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hate to hear your having trouble. I just swapped my pcm and tuned my 16 the other day. I was dreading doing mine due to issues like this but luckily everything went smooth for me. Nothing more aggravating than sitting there looking at a grand worth of parts that won't work. I hope you get it straitened out and best of luck to ya. :favorites13:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Have any of you guys had any problems getting the big connectors unlatched and released.Got a buddy trying to swap his pcm on his 15 and he's been having problems with his.He's 6 hours away,so I can't give him a hand and he's to damn shy to ask for help on here,so I figured i'd do it for him,lol.I know mine unlatched and came out on the cam locks easily on my 14 when I tried it ealier tonight,so I really don't have any advice for him,other then try grabbing the latches with a big pair of channel locks and seeing if he can wiggle them free.So wondering if you guys with the newer trucks have any advice to pass onto him.

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, installed the tune and problems persist. I guess I will be sending the PCM back.

Damn! Sorry to hear that. Well lets hope the replacement works and it was just a glitch with this one.

wink

wink

Beast Pilot
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Sport RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have any of you guys had any problems getting the big connectors unlatched and released.Got a buddy trying to swap his pcm on his 15 and he's been having problems with his.He's 6 hours away,so I can't give him a hand and he's to damn shy to ask for help on here,so I figured i'd do it for him,lol.I know mine unlatched and came out on the cam locks easily on my 14 when I tried it ealier tonight,so I really don't have any advice for him,other then try grabbing the latches with a big pair of channel locks and seeing if he can wiggle them free.So wondering if you guys with the newer trucks have any advice to pass onto him.

I've only swapped mine a couple of times, but didn't have any problem with the latches. Just put my finger under the bottom, and gently pulled it out and up. Maybe a little WD if it wants to be stubborn.

wink

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45