Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 4th Gen : 2009 - Present > Engine & Performance

Engine & Performance

The Pedal Commander review.

This is a discussion on The Pedal Commander review. within the Engine & Performance forums, part of the 4th Gen : 2009 - Present category!
Honestly I've owned my truck since 2010 and have never used the cruise control....

Like Tree647Likes

Sponsored By: Moe's Performance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2017, 10:12 PM   #21 (permalink)

Supporting Member

Ram Year: 11
Engine: 5.7 with over 187,000 MILES
Honestly I've owned my truck since 2010 and have never used the cruise control.

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.

RetroShop led foglights, RetroShop headlights,oem Mopar grill, oem clearance lights,EGR roof spoiler,Undercover tonneau cover,DeeZee assist tailgate shock,Rigid bumper pod lights,Corsa 14405BLK Catback exhaust,Bilstein shocks,Toyo Open Country AT2 tires, Reproduction wheels, Pedal Commander,CompuStar remote start.
DRkNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:43 PM   #22 (permalink)
9th

Ram Year: 2012
Engine: Hemi 5.7
Originally Posted by lharrell79 View Post
Drkness, how does the pedal commander affect the cruise control? Is the cruise still gradual and smooth?
I read from the site, PC disabled when using cruise control.

Old 04-15-2017, 11:52 PM   #23 (permalink)
9th

Ram Year: 2012
Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post
Anyone know how the Pedal Commander compares to the BD Throttle Booster?
Almost the same but PC is user friendly :-P
merlin3606 likes this.

Last edited by 9th; 04-16-2017 at 12:00 AM.
9th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:21 AM   #24 (permalink)

Name: Don

Ram Year: 2004
Engine: 6.4 HEMI
I have a post about this product, but I'll just add my review here too.

I have a 2014 RAM 2500 Cummins. I"ve owned HEMI RAM's in the past. So I know how the pedal feels in them. Compared to the Cummins, the HEMI pedal feel is much better.

The RAM 2500HD with the Cummins has a very weak peddle. That is, the truck has a slow take off. Even if you 3/4 or more the throttle, the 2500 moves slow.

I bought the pedal commander, fully ready to return it if it did not make a change. I expected it to simply "move" the throttle curve up. That is, I figured it would make ~40% throttle feel like 80%. But its so much more then that.

I was shocked at the results. The turbo spools up much sooner, and the transmission down shifts much sooner. It will spin the tires from a dead stop now. The truck is a pleasure to drive now, so much more responsive.

I've found that Sport 3 or 4 works best for me. Sport + is really not driveable on streets. At that high of a setting, it almost feels like a lose wire or something. The throttle is un predictable, at too sensitive. I have also tried ECO modes. There it feels like a large ship. Truck will move very slow from a stop.

My MPG's have gone down. Although, I'll freely admit that I'll press that throttle more now. I'm sure if I ease in to it, like I did before I can re obtain good MPG. Before the unit, I was seeing ~18 to 19MPG in town, 24 freeway. The freeway is same, but in town is now ~16.5 to 17.

Truck is stock AF currently, except Pedal Commander.

Cruse control question: I use Cruse control on long drives, and seems it is affected by the commander.

I'm sure the BD solution does the same as Pedal commander. I went with Pedal Commander because of the wider range of settings. It is easier to adjust too, simple buttons. The BD unit, you have to open and set jumpers for range, or buy a knob.

I highly recommend for anyone with a diesel. Even if your NOT into performance. Just the improved driveability makes it worth it.
DRkNESS and 9th like this.

Old 04-16-2017, 04:42 AM   #25 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2015
Engine: 6.7L Cummins
Originally Posted by DaKing View Post
I'm sure the BD solution does the same as Pedal commander. I went with Pedal Commander because of the wider range of settings. It is easier to adjust too, simple buttons. The BD unit, you have to open and set jumpers for range, or buy a knob.

I highly recommend for anyone with a diesel. Even if your NOT into performance. Just the improved driveability makes it worth it.
I went with the BD solution simply because it was all the talk and I ordered just before all the chatter about Pedal Commander started. I ordered the BD with the remote control push button switch which allows settings for off, 50%, 75%, 100% and insane mode, plus a valet mode. I have not tried a Pedal Commander but it sounds like they both do the same thing. The BD with the switch is about $23 more expensive that Pedal Commander. Both are too expensive but maybe that will change now that there is market competition.

The differences are mounting, the BD can be located behind the dash with a dash mounted switch, that is nice but once I set the BD to 50% I found that is all I needed and left the setting alone.

I also found the pedal response on my Hemi fine, but the Cummins, it really needed help and I installed the BD on my Cummins. No issues noted using the BD with cruise control.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:10 AM   #26 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2008
Engine: 4.7
Originally Posted by DaKing View Post
Cruse control question: I use Cruse control on long drives, and seems it is affected by the commander.
How exactly does the cruise seem affected? This is a concern for me, because I do use my cruise control often.
lharrell79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:55 PM   #27 (permalink)

Name: Don

Ram Year: 2004
Engine: 6.4 HEMI
Originally Posted by lharrell79 View Post
How exactly does the cruise seem affected? This is a concern for me, because I do use my cruise control often.
It seems to be more "jerky". I can only assume its due to the sensitivity increase.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:05 PM   #28 (permalink)

Supporting Member

Ram Year: 11
Engine: 5.7 with over 187,000 MILES
This is what I used to run in my Ram, until I put it up for sale. Excellent unit, just more then what I was in need of sadly.

F.O.F

RetroShop led foglights, RetroShop headlights,oem Mopar grill, oem clearance lights,EGR roof spoiler,Undercover tonneau cover,DeeZee assist tailgate shock,Rigid bumper pod lights,Corsa 14405BLK Catback exhaust,Bilstein shocks,Toyo Open Country AT2 tires, Reproduction wheels, Pedal Commander,CompuStar remote start.
DRkNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:52 PM   #29 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2013
Where's the best place to buy one?
2013 Hemi 5.7

Thanks!
DavidN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #30 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2009 RAM CC Sport
Engine: 5.7
Umm, this is very interesting. I thought it sounded like one of the bogus throttle enhancers that don't do crap.

But reading the reviews on Amazon, I hardly see anything negative about. The price is kinda step for a box and programming that takes them 10 minutes to do but ole well. Going to have to look into it.

So is this just throttle response, have anything to do with helping transmission shifting and down shifting?
Burla likes this.

BlownGP is online now   Reply With Quote