Pennzoil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robcope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can anyone tell me the difference between platinum and ultra? Does the platinum contain moli? Is there a place I can actually find an additives list?

Thanks, Rob

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure about moli content or anything else about its makeup but the Platinum and Ultra are supposed to be some of the best off the shelf oils for the hemi according to what I've read here. I use standard Platinum 5w20 and a Fram Ultra synthetic filter from Walmart and all is good. There is a new oil poll out and the PP is leading the way last I saw as far as which oil people are using.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Detergency, PUP has more detergency, maybe has better viscosity at 100 as well. Now PUP 0w40 was made specifically for Hemi's and that only comes in PUP.

spotlight on synthetics, not updated though.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is a new oil poll out and the PP is leading the way last I saw as far as which oil people are using.

I don't know what good those polls are. People use what they use based on a lot of 'perception' which is typically driven by marketing and what they 'think' is a good value. I like Penzoil too, I'm sure it's a good oil, I don't doubt that. But the only way to tell which oil is truly superior is to perform repeatable tests under real-world conditions for all the popular oils out there and tear things down and inspect at the end ....which, when it comes to engines, I really haven't seen, and oil companies resist publishing. And what are "Real World" conditions? What's real world for me might be completely different for other guys who live in AZ, or guys who live in Alaska and make a 3-mile journey every day (never getting the engine up to temp). Most organizations aren't going to be able to perform such test, except maybe the govt or military. And even then, chemicals and processes change so what may have tested superior one year, might not necessarily come out on top the next, and mid-pack companies might surge to the top. But if there are some good, reliable test results papers, please post them for everyone's benefit.

Mobil1 and Shell consistently come out on top, but then you have guys that love the stuff in that green jug that their dad always used ...and the yellow jug guys. Then there's the Amsoil and specialty oil guys. Then you have the guys who's engine blew and they blame it on the oil and we have no idea what the factors were that lead to the blow. It could have been weak castings, maybe the owner overheated the engine (and didn't know it), maybe it was run low on oil, or their 17yr old high-school kid raced the he// out of it the weekend before against his buddies, or some new guy at th oil-change place put in something they shouldn't ..or sand got on the filter when they put the new one in. These guys who blame the oil REALLY don't come back and provide a detailed analysis. I highly doubt it's oil that leads to most of those failures.

I've used Citgo for probably 35 years and never had ANY engine-related issues and drove many up to or over 300k mi. I change my own oil every SINGLE time so I know there isn't any sand or crud that falls onto the new filter ...the plug isn't stripped, the filter is on tight and so on. But I bet there are a bunch of guys out there that would tell me how crappy Citgo is and give me a dozen reasons why Citgo sucks and a 'guy they know' used XYZ oil for 10 yrs and the first time they used Citgo the engine let go (forgetting to say it had 200k miles on it). I know guys who've used Walmart oil for years too and never had any problems. Again, I'm not against Penzoil, it probably is near the top. I suspect any of the name-brand oils are just fine. I'm using Citgo Full Synthetic in my truck.

Just sayin'

Last edited:

Trooper2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Burla you say the PUP was made for the Hemi. Why then does it say 5/20 recommended and most knowledgeable people put RL 5/30 in. Besides the brand differemce the difference in viscosity between a 0/40 and a 5/20, 5/30 makes me wonder. I dont understand how a 0/40 could be good for my truck. Insight???

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
PUP 0w40 was made for 6.4 hemi, the same stuff good for the 6.4 is good for the 5.7. What is it about PUP that was designed for the hemi, low end of visc for 40 weight, high moly, high zddp, high calcium, and of course high detergency. The engineers want high additives and super clean oil for these hemi's, end of story. You can look up the cooperation between Pennzoil and Chrysler.

The 20 weights are from your uncle Obama, ram just went along with the CAFE program.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is the 0W-40 available in 5 quart? I only ever see single quarts or 6 single quart cases.

Is it worth picking up PUP 5W-30 and some of the 0W-40 and mixing it?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Is the 0W-40 available in 5 quart? I only ever see single quarts or 6 single quart cases.

Is it worth picking up PUP 5W-30 and some of the 0W-40 and mixing it?

I say run the 0w40 by itself, but some guys mix. PUP 0w40 is a very special oil, thin for weight, meaning it isn't that far off the 5w30's.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Rob: There is not much difference in the 2.
Only a small amount of additive package difference.

Consider it similar to Regular M1 & M1 EP.

Remember these additive packages change like clock work, so the VOAs you witness might not be 100% accurate.

PUP is just a bit more Robust then PP. (Depending on the different Viscositys)
Sorry for Your Thread going sideways fast.

Last edited:
OP
OP
robcope

robcope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just want to know about platinum vs ultra platinum. I will use 5w20 as suggested by the manufacturer. As it stands at this moment, I will use platinum and change it every 7500 miles unless someone can give me any good info, not just opinions.
Does platinum contain moli?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does anyone know what brand oil is in the Dodge motor oil jug that sits in the parts dept? Is it Penzoil?

OP
OP
robcope

robcope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rob: There is not much difference in the 2.
Only a small amount of additive package difference.

Consider it similar to Regular M1 & M1 EP.

Remember these additive packages change like clock work, so the VOAs you witness might not be 100% accurate.

PUP is just a bit more Robust then PP. (Depending on the different Viscositys)
Sorry for Your Thread going sideways fast.
Thank you. I wish threads would stop being hijacked.

OP
OP
robcope

robcope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone know what brand oil is in the Dodge motor oil jug that sits in the parts dept? Is it Penzoil?
That is a good question. My Ram runs great on the original oil. I guess I need to ask that question at the dealer.

OP
OP
robcope

robcope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How long can you leave platinum in the engine under normal driving conditions?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
See my first answer in this thread, that is straight from Pennzoil as I asked them the same question. Every engine is different, you need to do a uoa in your engine to see the interval. I would say 8k miles is safe, push too much further you might want to run a uoa.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
This was Pennzoil's exact email to me...

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and Pennzoil Platinum are both made with PurePlus Technology. Our Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is formulated with a more robust detergent dispersant than our Platinum. This dispersant provides the best cleanliness and protection in the Pennzoil line-up of motor oils. Neither motor oil contain esters as a base oil component.

OP
OP
robcope

robcope

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, took a month, but I think I will give platinum a shot and the Fram ultra guard filter or mobile 1 filter. Thanks for all the input. In 34 years I have never had an engine fail because of oil, but my Ram is by far the nicest vehicle I have ever bought for myself. Wife always has the nicer vehicle. Just doing what I can to avoid the dreaded tick.

Thank you all, again.

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
How long can you leave platinum in the engine under normal driving conditions?

Follow your OLM if equipt.
Every 6months works for a lot of folks.

At least once a week get her out on the highway & up to speed! Ya want that oil up to 190-200*F for a decent amount of time.
To evaporate any moisture & cook out any carbon contaminates.

PUP is so hard to find PP will provide excellent protection!
If you have access too PUP feel free to use!

If your Ram develops the Tick~~~>Get with Burla & the group. They can direct you in the direction of RL.

Last edited:

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD

Penzoil is what I have read several times over. Is what the guy at the counter told me as well. I purchased Mopar oil on Amazon for my first change. Now that Penzoil PP 0-40w is available at Wal Mart I have been using it with no issues with my 6.4 so far.

Reactions: SyN

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I wanted the PUP because it's their top oil, but it wasn't on the shelf locally.

Walmart online shipped it to my door in two days with free freight.